29 replies to this topic

#1 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:53 PM

Steve and I got together this past Wednesday evening at The Race Place in Farmingdale NJ and ran some old Monogram slot cars. I've posted pics of Steve's collection of cars before but he has since added several more to the stable.

The '55 Chevy is reminiscent of Monogram's original issue Chevy kit released in the 1960's, all of the running gear including the tires is vintage era Monogram. The body is a more recent release of the "BADMAN" static kit, also by Monogram.

The cars in Steve's collection are built to run, as can be seen by that yellow streak you see, it's the '55 running at speed on the "big track" at The Race Place.

Attached Images

• DSCN7044.JPG
  • DSCN7047.JPG
  • DSCN7058.JPG

• eggsplurt and Tom Katsanis like this
Peter J. Linszky

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:07 PM

Peter, it looks like a lot of fun. What motor was powering this car, one of Monogram's? I notice another '55 body in the background of one photo. It appears as if someone is going to build some competition for this yellow '55.

Bill Fernald

I heard they weren't going to make yardsticks any longer.

#3 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

Bill,

I believe Monogram's red can 36D was in Steve's '55 Chevy.  The car in the background is mine, I hope to have it completed sometime soon !

Peter J. Linszky

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#4 eggsplurt

eggsplurt

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

Great to see you last night Pete.....That was fun.....Glad to see you running them around a little....Yes, My cars are all bone stock...X-100’s and X-200’s......Just like they came out of the boxes in the 1960’s.....Except of course, the pick-ups and the ‘55 which are static issues........Brad from Professor Motor just sold me an original 1940 pick-up......And, we’ll be running that around too......I think you liked my Cox Chaparral and Lotus 40.....and the Brabham........I have the boxes/ instructions/decal-sheets for everything but the Mercedes.......Anybody who would like box-art color copies or copies of the instruction sheets or the decal sheets for these Monogram Slot Cars , just let me know......I don’t mind sharing the fun in these.......Steve....732-530-2061
Steve Drucker

#5 eggsplurt

eggsplurt

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

P.S Pete......I dug out a pair of the correct 3/4 inch wheels you need........Theyll cost you a coffee.....☕
  • Pete L. likes this
Steve Drucker

#6 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

Not a favorite of mine as  runners, but I enjoy "having" the big Monogram cars in my collection.   All are built-ups, but at  one time I did have 4 MIB 55 Chevies.

4 55 kits.jpg

Glad you got the 40 Steve.

• Pete L. likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#7 eggsplurt

eggsplurt

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

I remember that picture Matt....It’s Cool!.........I run my stuff easy through the turns........And, Pete figured too not a good idea on all 8 lanes operating....Well noted........Do you have all of them?....
Steve Drucker

#8 eggsplurt

eggsplurt

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:38 AM

Just about finished with the blue Monogram LaBamba ‘ 58 T-Bird slot conversion.........On a standard chassis with X-200 power.....Its rear mounting posts were a little tricky compared to the ‘55 but, it’s dead on and looks fantastic........Will be at The Race Place on Sunday Jan. 21 with coffee.......☕️
Steve Drucker

#9 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

The 55 kits were all sold over the years.    To be honest, I get no big thrill from mib kits.  I like having one old  kit to see how they were sold when I was kid, is about all I care to have and Cox has the sharpest kits.   I don't want to have $ tied up in kits  that need special care and protection, besides the $ required.

As to the old Monograms, I don't have a Mercedes or Dusenberg.   I never liked those cars and I only keep what I like, I could care less about being a "completist".

I have mostly old used up cars that I have restored and in a few cases painted.    Obviously the 55 is my favorite of the bunch and even though mine are old used ones, they are original 1963 issues.   Over the years I have  found more 55's  than you would think.   I've probably had 7-8 used ones the last 30 years.   

One of the local guys got the newest Monogram 58 Tbird model and he says it is molded in white.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#10 eggsplurt

eggsplurt

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:12 AM

Hi Matt......White was the original issue of the T-Bird....The later re-issues all mount fine between Prfessor Motor front mount and fabricated rear posts......I have tried to posts pictures here but, every time I hit the button it says my files are too large......I’m having lots of fun with this stuff and would love to show them off.....suggestions?......Steve
Steve Drucker

#11 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

My Tbird was glue stained really bad.  The stains went deep in the plastic.   I put a coat of white  on it and it came out pretty good. 

Some of the 55 re-issues are close to the original yellow.   I found the Testors Daytona yellow almost a perfect color match.   I had to add tops to two cars and I cut them  from Badman  issue models kits.   I have never got a good fit and I  epoxied the tops rear pillars to the rear quarter then sanded smooth and put on a light coat of that yellow on the whole car.    

The 40 pickup has been available in a lot of colors over the years.   I had a red one once ago and I tried to paint it white, but the red kept bleeding and it was always pink!  I could have tried priming with silver ( I hear that seals red), but I gave up on it.   There is a new release of the 40 in a box with a blue truck on the lid.  That truck is molded in bright white, but Ford Whimbleton White is a close match to the original off white of the 40.   

The 36 has been issued in a lot of colors and there was a yellow release of it a few years ago, the most current model is a dark red, I have one of those kits but haven't done anything except to take out the grille, windows and running board covers for my beat up original, which I had to paint as it was a really mis-used old car!

I've never had to re-build a 34 and don't know what colors the 1/24 kits may have come in.

I always enjoy finding those old cars in pretty bad shape and bringing them back to life.   While they are not original and mint collector pieces, I end up with a car that satisfies me and don't have $$$$ tied up in a car on a shelf!!

• Pete L. likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#12 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

Not great cars but here are the three old junker 55"s I kind of restored.   Two of them got new tops from various Badman kits. 

Main bodies and frame mounts are original, all say Monogram 1963 under the deck lid by the molded in rear mount posts, but lots of trim  came from model kits.   The most original has correct wheel openings, one is cut out a little and one is cut out extreme!

P1010007.JPG

The other 4 big cars I have.   All restored junk, but the 34 is an old original exactly as I found it.

P1010009.JPG

A car not many know about or have seen, but not really hard to find.   This is the first issue  Revell 56 Chevy model kit (1963 ?)

It came with optional glue in chassis mounts that fit the early Revell aluminum chassis.  

P1010014.JPG

• slotbaker and mike1972chev like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#13 eggsplurt

eggsplurt

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:52 AM

You’re stuff looks great Matt!......Going to get my 14 year old to get some pictures up of my stuff........Not sure why it says, Files to Large....Yeah, original “Mint”?....OK But, they are fun to model from junk and re-issues.......Fantastic!....
Steve Drucker

#14 eggsplurt

eggsplurt

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:58 AM

Or, I could just link-up with Pete and do another photo session....He seems to have no trouble.......Will be at The Race Place with Jack and Ed on Sunday...10:30 am.....Put together and ran my turquoise re-issue ‘58 T-Bird.....It’s cool!....And like Matt said....easily obtainable and affordable.......Plus, Thanks to Chris in PA. for the Monogram original drivers!....
  • Pete L. likes this
Steve Drucker

#15 satchmo

satchmo

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

Matt,

Is this the new 40 Ford Pickup release you were referring to?

Thanks,

Jim

Attached Images

• C89DBFAD-2BDE-4E48-97E8-C32499655F08.jpeg

Jim Satchfield

#16 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:45 AM

That's it Jim.   It could be built in the bright white or a coat of an off white  would be more like original.     

There is a Tbird kit on ebay now for $450.   Why not buy that one, put it together a race it!!!

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#17 satchmo

satchmo

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

I have several Ford Pickup kits in various colors, including what I think is the original issue kit in a turquoise blue. The white one would be cool to get close to an original color runner.

Saw that T-Bird on eBay but not really interested in mint kits as they’re way out of my price range and I have also sold off most of my mint slot car kits because of the constant temptation to cut them open and start building.

Also have a white T-bird model that was part of a 3-kit set that will have to do as a close resemblance of the original car.

Am currently assembling frames, motors, etc to build some of these cars, although the correct chassis are hard to find and getting pricey.

Is the currently manufactured H&R chassis a good choice for adapting to these kits? If not, are there any other vintage chassis with wheelbases long enough?
Jim Satchfield

#18 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

The H&R chassis is probably not well suited to the old Monogram bodies.  I would think repro  AMT frames from Professor Motor would be a better fit or cut a womp in half and stretch it out for an easy solution.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#19 eggsplurt

eggsplurt

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

Just mounting up a Monogram 1956 Chevy molded in a light blue.....Plastruct 1” posts in the rear with the kits inner wheel hubs drilled out and slid over the posts to reinforce where they glue to the inner trunk-lid...... and utilzing a Professor Motor ‘55 Chevy front mount with some extra styrene pieces for rigidity.......It looks fantastic....Like a kit that existed.......Bone stock chassis with correct 1 1/4 inch tires.....Everything as close as I can get to 1964........Looking at the Ertl/Amt...1957 Cameo Pick-Up.........Not that I have unlimited chassis......I have maybe 8 or 9 but........The bodies once complete will be no different than Aurora T-Jets to swap......Steve
Steve Drucker

#20 eggsplurt

eggsplurt

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

Testing...Upload

Attached Images

• dcp_0003.jpg

• Pete L. likes this
Steve Drucker

#21 eggsplurt

eggsplurt

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

Well, That appears to have worked.... :)

Steve Drucker

#22 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

Isn't the drag car a Rambler?

Bill Fernald

I heard they weren't going to make yardsticks any longer.

#23 eggsplurt

eggsplurt

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

Yeah....It’s my Marlin Gasser....Just testing picture upload.....Fun to drive on the street!....Open headers and all....
Steve Drucker

#24 eggsplurt

eggsplurt

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

Fun with Plastic...

Attached Images

• dcp_0001.jpg
  • dcp_0005.jpg

• Mattb likes this
Steve Drucker

#25 eggsplurt

eggsplurt

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

The red '34 Ford in the upper left hand corner in the 1st picture was built by my Dad at the kitchen table in 1968.....I remember him building it....

Attached Images

• dcp_0004.jpg
  • dcp_0006.jpg
  • dcp_0007.jpg

• Mattb likes this
Steve Drucker

Electric Dreams Online Shop