• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

Since my last post here on Nov 25, I have been absolutely underwater at the ski shop(s). I'm just now coming up for a quick gasp for air and grabbing a second to announce the first part of our 2018 schedule. As I announced at the last driver's meeting of the season, we would not be racing in January due to my impossible schedule for that month. Race #1 @ Motown will be a week earlier than normal due to unavoidable ski industry events. Races after that will be on our normal 3rd Sunday with a few exceptions. Further races will be scheduled as I have time to construct the remainder of the season's schedule.

• Track open times will be 10AM as always.
  • First Race times will be 12 noon as always.
  • No rule changes at this time except for addition of the Parma Charger 500 stock car body

Our first two races for the 2018 schedule are as follows....

Feb 11, 2018:  Motown Raceway Modesto Ca.

Hillclimb: Can Am, Stock Car

Korkscrew: Formula one.

March 18, 2018: Fast Track Hobbies Rocklin Ca.

Purple Angel: Can Am, Stock Car

Yellow Dragon: Formula One

• boxerdog likes this
Jim Fowler

#2 Tim Wood

Tim Wood

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

Hey Jim, and where is your ski shop. South Lake Tahoe. If so do you have a Gentleman named Camron working for you. Tim wood

#3 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:09 PM

five hour trip to Motown Raceway?????   maybe a road trip later in the year.....

need to exercise the legs of my new MB C43

what's a nice place to stay?

• JimF likes this
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#4 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:53 PM

five hour trip to Motown Raceway?????   maybe a road trip later in the year.....

Cool. I'll buy ya coffee for the ride. Deal?

• JimF and Richard Matthews like this
Tom Eatherly

#5 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:05 AM

Hey Jim, and where is your ski shop. South Lake Tahoe. If so do you have a Gentleman named Camron working for you. Tim wood

Hey Tim:

I am the ski hardgoods buyer for a group of four stores in the greater Reno-Tahoe area. In fact, we do have a store in SLT that is very new. We may well have Cameron on staff although I couldn't say b/c my duties don't have much to do with personnel.

Jim Fowler

#6 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:13 AM

Mike; TBH, I have not looked much into a "Nice" place to stay b/c my tastes in that regard are pretty barbaric. In past years I have stayed at a Motel 6 that is very close to the track but honestly, "nice" in kinda dependant on the the day and the room you get. Lately, I have "camped" at the track on the night before and it has been great but I don't mind a sleeping bag and an air matt sooooooo.............that's kinda what I know. I do know that there are better digs in the same vicinity but can't give you a more specific idea. I can tell you that our 2018 schedule will feature several visits to Motown including some interesting "switchup" races where we run cars on the opposite track from "normal".

Jim Fowler

#7 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:03 AM

Cool, I would like to do some racing on a hillclimb!
Mike Low

#8 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

Mike; TBH, I have not looked much into a "Nice" place to stay b/c my tastes in that regard are pretty barbaric. In past years I have stayed at a Motel 6 that is very close to the track but honestly, "nice" in kinda dependant on the the day and the room you get. Lately, I have "camped" at the track on the night before and it has been great but I don't mind a sleeping bag and an air matt sooooooo.............that's kinda what I know. I do know that there are better digs in the same vicinity but can't give you a more specific idea. I can tell you that our 2018 schedule will feature several visits to Motown including some interesting "switchup" races where we run cars on the opposite track from "normal".

Jim is being charitable, Modesto is still Modesto. There are several places close to the track, but it would be hard to endorse any of them. Most of them cluster around the  Briggsmore exit and thus are pretty close. So come on up!!

David Cummerow

#9 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

Modesto, famous for George Lucas and Gallo wines...
I will bring my lightsaber
  • Richard Matthews likes this
Mike Low

#10 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

Cool, I would like to do some racing on a hillclimb!

The Motown hillclimb is not what you normally think of for that type of track. It is actually an Elglemann layout with the inside straight tucked under the top straight thus creating the grandstand or hillclimb effect. It is our fastest track in terms of lap times and has two full punch banks but the rest of the turns are mostly flat and it has some very tight inside turns. Despite the speeds on the two main straights, "motor" doesn't usually win you a race on that track.

The Korkscrew is the Ohren track from Uncle Cal's and despite it's appearance, it's pretty easy to pick up. It is however pretty challenging running open wheel F-1's on the old school tight lane spacing and the 90' lap length.

• Richard Matthews likes this
Jim Fowler

#11 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:16 PM

The Motown hillclimb is not what you normally think of for that type of track. It is actually an Elglemann layout with the inside straight tucked under the top straight thus creating the grandstand or hillclimb effect. It is our fastest track in terms of lap times and has two full punch banks but the rest of the turns are mostly flat and it has some very tight inside turns. Despite the speeds on the two main straights, "motor" doesn't usually win you a race on that track.

The Korkscrew is the Ohren track from Uncle Cal's and despite it's appearance, it's pretty easy to pick up. It is however pretty challenging running open wheel F-1's on the old school tight lane spacing and the 90' lap length.

I like fast  :D

what is weight of car that works on the hillclimb, rubber - wonder, untreated, gear ratio?

Untitled.png

Mike Low

#12 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

That's the one!

So I run about 100-105gr on that track and almost always 9-28. Conditions of course dictate tire choices. I very rarely run wonder or treated. Usually JK natural rubber in 8703 or 8713 hub sizes. More often than not I'll run them narrowed. In fact, I'd say that I've just about moved on from treated. Natural - narrowed seems to work as well and I think I maybe had a run of bad tires with treated a while back. I couldn't get 'em to work nohow, nowhere.

We allow the Parma Lola T-163 body with a 1/4" spoiler and it is about par with the "Edge" bodies that you guys use so much (which we also allow). We don't allow the higher downforce TI-22 variants that are popular elsewhere. The older Lola T-160 has also won a lot of races on that track on shorter cars. (mostly, I think b/c a couple of the Modestoids regularly run that one) and they frequently kick us to the curb.

• Richard Matthews and bbr like this
Jim Fowler

#13 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

Jim may be sleeping with the new guard dogs next trip.

David Cummerow

#14 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:57 AM

Jim may be sleeping with the new guard dogs next trip.

Uhhhhhh.................................something I oughta' know about??????????????????????

Jim Fowler

#15 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Lol. The new dogs run the place!

David Cummerow

#16 pieguy

pieguy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

Cool stuff jim.was at the track yesterday getting the hang of it and feeling it out.Gene was super helpful and the locals don't bite.
Have stayed at the comfort inn not too long ago and it was fine place to stay.cheers mike
  • JimF, Richard Matthews and boxerdog like this
Mike Andrews

#17 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

Love that place and Gene is SUPER supportive of Retro. In the past, I'd make the trek once or twice a month during my summers off. I'd race with the local crew on Fridays sometimes, then stay over and fool with Retro cars on Saturday. Heck!....I felt almost like a local myself. Lately though, I haven't been able to do that b/c the new job is a real grind. I hope for that to change this summer, and for sure, we'll be at Motown for Retro more often this season. 

• boxerdog likes this
Jim Fowler

#18 Richard Matthews

Richard Matthews

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:26 AM

Cool stuff jim.was at the track yesterday getting the hang of it and feeling it out.Gene was super helpful and the locals don't bite.
Have stayed at the comfort inn not too long ago and it was fine place to stay.cheers mike

Gene and Jenn are great Hosts. Family part brings it in. 

#19 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:41 AM

Mike, it was great to meet up with you Sunday and swap NZ stories. And we try to treat Jim like a local too. He has been around here for quite some time and creates a lot of enthusiasm when he is here.

David Cummerow

Electric Dreams Online Shop