7 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,288 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:02 AM

Some years ago in a discussion about the Mura 2-hole C can or "Green Can", I recalled a variant that went by the name of "Green Giant" and what an insane motor it was.  Most here hadn't heard about or remembered it, but later on Peter Crawley (I got to know Peter some when I went to his dad's raceway in Farmingdale) also recalled it.  I actually remember Peter having the hottest version of the motor (mine was "milder" :)  ) and him slamming the bank on the hillclimb.  These motors were monsters.

Anyway, a few days ago, an old Mura ad showed up on Facebook showing the "Green Giant" motor and it brought back some memories.  I thought it would be cool to show it here:

Green Giant Ad.jpg

John Havlicek

#2 Racer36

Racer36

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:41 AM

21 bucks in 1973! Holy smokes!
  • havlicek likes this

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,288 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:45 AM

21 bucks in 1973! Holy smokes!

Yeah, but you could get the Group 20 for around half that and have basically the same motor Dennis!  Actually, it looks like the  Group 15 had all the same features at $8.50.  That's all pretty cool because today, you see different versions of these things which can all be  rebuilt as big-time race motors.  The Green Giant was ridiculous and would chew up a set of gears if the mesh wasn't dead-bang perfect and the motor wasn't rock solid in the chassis.  I wasn't a racer, but I'm sure they had all that stuff nailed.  The motor itself was just brutal.

John Havlicek

#4 Jaz

Jaz

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

The serious racres at the time were all using Greenaway, Keans, Reeteez or Steube setups.
Those Green Giants could not compete against the handbuilt stuff of the day. They were sold to racers who wanted fast, but who did not compete.
My last Greenaway motor I bought was $50 in early 73.
  • havlicek likes this

Jeff Morris

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over." Fuds 1st law of opposition

"It goes in...it must come out!"  Teslicles Devient to Fuds 1st law

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,288 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:12 AM

The serious racres at the time were all using Greenaway, Keans, Reeteez or Steube setups.
Those Green Giants could not compete against the handbuilt stuff of the day. They were sold to racers who wanted fast, but who did not compete.
My last Greenaway motor I bought was $50 in early 73.

I'll take your word for it that "serious racers" didn't use this stuff Jeff, but it doesn't take anything away from what this motor could do right off the shelf!

John Havlicek

#6 Jaz

Jaz

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

Oh, absolutely! It was Muras pinnacle, but the gap between it and pro stuff was getting waaay too large.
And expensive!

Jeff Morris

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over." Fuds 1st law of opposition

"It goes in...it must come out!"  Teslicles Devient to Fuds 1st law

#7 zipper

zipper

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

Here most fast guys did use Pooch/Camen setups.

Pekka Sippola

#8 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,288 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:02 AM

Here most fast guys did use Pooch/Camen setups.

Yes, I get that, from Jeff's post that "no racers" used these...but THIS thread is only about this specific off-the-shelf motor.  It was a motor I remembered and that others hadn't, so I figured it would be interesting to post the ad here.  As a "stock" motor, I saw what it could do, and it was mighty impressive!  ***Maybe there were other "stock" motors at the time that were also trying to appeal to this segment when the fully custom stuff was making them obsolete.  It would be neat to see those, if there were any???

• Robert BG likes this
John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop