8 replies to this topic

#1 tazman

tazman

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

I've been flipping through some slot car catalogs
and technical journals from the late 60's and 70's that I got from Ken in Spokane. I am truly blown away by the catalog stuff that I desired to build and race as a teen. I remember having a few of the stuff in the catalogs and a few rewind motors. It hits a warm cord in my heart thinking about my DAD who shared my passion. This made me remember having family rewinding parties and sharing what you did. Every wind was counted and duplicated especially if you had a rocket. But in one case, a magic arm was created by accident - my dad mistakenly advance the arm without knowing it. It lasted for about a month until the arm blew up because the comm was not epoxied. We never talked about it until I was reworking arms later in my HO adventures. When I shared this with my dad who was out of slot cars for a couple of decades, he started to remember and a smile came back that I saw often when we were a team. He figured it out that his rocket motor was advanced. He would have loved to flip through these catalogs and journals if he was still here! Just some memories ....
f24ceb3ea9ff5e3504f8a9bb7ee15acb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • Samiam and Eddie Fleming like this
Rick Ortogero

#2 Martin

Martin

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:36 AM

Thanks for sharing Rick. A rare gift to have your dad involved.

Martin Windmill

#3 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:18 AM

Love looking through the old slot catalogues, magazines and books. My own fav memory with my Dad was when he built for me a 4 lane track at home, using the Kal Kar Masonite pre slotted components. They came in 2 and 4 lane. 'We' built it together, but in truth he did nearly all the work.

I've still got a first edition of Louis Hertz Complete Book of Model Raceways and Roadways that I got for Christmas, I think in 1966. Very much worse for the wear, as I've been through it 1000 times over the years.

That Model Car Technical Journal is a great resource for info, as is the Greenslade book if you can find one. Any AutoWorld catalogue from the 60's is great to thumb through.

• elvis44102 likes this
Todd Brace

#4 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:01 AM

If you are interested in the old slots, the 67 1/2 Auto World catalog is about the best reference book you will ever find.   They sell for $30 or so and  will provide thousands of hours of reading and looking!!!

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#5 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:01 AM

You guys were lucky to have your dads involved. Mine was too busy working, and I don't think he was that interested in hobbies, although he did teach me the basics of using tools. But years later, when I had packages sent to me at his house, and then came into the city to pick them up, he'd get a big kick out of watching me open them and seeing my eyes light up... 

Ah yes, have read all my books and mags multiple times, a great source of info, even if it's not always that reliable! 

Don 

• Mattb likes this

#6 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

Four generations now!  My father and I started out in HO gauge model railroading.  Foreshadowing things to come, I ended up in charge of building and maintaining rolling stock and he devoted his efforts to background and scenery.  He was very good and very patient in the latter endeavor.  In the late 50's, the model railroad was replaced by a 4 lane Scalextric track complete with hills, verges, grassy run-offs and scratch-built trackside buildings.  There really weren't any other slot racers around and my brother and I spent many hours racing the matched pair of Pittman DC 703 powered Merit D Jags that I had built. (Yes, I have the DJ L-D book on "Motorizing Merits)  Years later my father took it all down, packed the track, buildings, cars and various scenic bits into the trunk of his car and delivered the lot to me in Kentucky.

The track remained in boxes until after  stint in Chicago and a move to Indiana.  In Indiana the track was revived on 4 flush doors set on metal legs.  A vast store of 60's kits was found in a local hobby shop (Cox, Revell, AMT etc - all 1/24) and bought for pennies on the dollar.  I built a Renault LMP powered by a Ram sidewinder for my then 12 year old son.  A note the make collectors wince:  Many of the purchased kit cars were built up for my son and his friends to use, sparing my scratch-built collection from abuse.

Time passed.  I moved to Baltimore, Steven finished college, married and moved to the SF Bay area.  I sent him his Renault but his involvement was minimal.  Two years ago he bought is twin daughters (Now nearly 10) a Scalextric set.  The girls were captivated.  Upon learning that they had found a local shop with a 100' Carrera track,  I sent out 3 Carrera 1/24 cars this past Christmas.

I hope to visit in the near future - we'll see how they are coming along.  I'll bring along a 4th car and would be delighted to be beaten!

EM

• garyvmachines and Mattb like this
Alan Schwartz

#7 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

Beating grandpa on the track will be great fun for the twins! :laugh2:

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

#8 Daytonaman

Daytonaman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

It's great to hear these stories from the beginning of slot racing! Those were the good old days when the magic was still there.  The cars and tracks were realistic with scenery and full driiver figures.  You could slip into a fantasy world where you were in the drivers seat of your favorite car.  

John Forrester

#9 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

Don, my dad was much the same, he did provide tables for trains to run on and  sometimes help with the electrical  end of things.  My dad was an electrician (thanks for that education).   While he never "got into"scale hobbies, he was a great teacher for electrical, carpentry and the other handyman skills  that my brothers and I learned.

He never stopped us from trying about anything on our own.   We abused his tools and never said a thing!

I never thought my dad cared or thought a whole lot about the hobby stuff I did.  One day I had my 34 Ford roadster  at his house when a friend of his came by.   He surprised me by showing the friend how I built the car and explaining all I had done from chassis setup to painting.   I never thought he paid any attention to  any of it.   

He told his friend how we brought the frame home from the sandblaster in his truck and how I built the rest of the car in my garage.     I guess he appreciated what me and my brothers learned to do, he just never thought it was a big deal to say much about it to us!

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

Electric Dreams Online Shop