214 replies to this topic

#51 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

One more thing...

I am not into making predictions but I predict W. Custer will still be the man to beat, and the fast guys will be the fast guys.

I also bet race records will be broken and new records set with the 7R motors.

• Half Fast, JerseyJohn and gfox like this
Eddie Fleming

#52 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

As of today everyone has the same opportunity to work at getting, finding, buying, etc., an 7R for june. Five months!!! What's the problem? Show up with your best 7R as we will and race... 

• Eddie Fleming likes this
JJ TRADE MARK BANNER copy.jpg

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God since 2007"
" Internationally Know Slot Car Racing Celebrity "
https://www.facebook...nchassisworks/#
Email me

#53 willy wonka

willy wonka

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

Not if Chubby and Doug decide on hand-outs, JJ.  ;)

• The Number of likes this
William Custer
To finish First you must first Finish

#54 willy wonka

willy wonka

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:57 PM

People complain about the uneven playing field because of the old motors some have and some do not. So the race organizations take the option they have to level the field.

What would be the point of saying we are going to level the field in two or three years after you use up all your motors. People can't get the old motors now. The IRRA® did leave the opening to reinstate the motors if the situation changes.

No one is asking two or three years but one year would have been completely doable, as is hand-outs at Premier races but when the leader of the East Coast pouts and crys about hand-outs and threatens to not come. Oh, well the R4 went on without him and so can others. If the biggest Retro race in America can do hand-outs any race is able to do it.

William Custer

#55 willy wonka

willy wonka

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

As of today everyone has the same opportunity to work at getting, finding, buying, etc., an 7R for june. Five months!!! What's the problem? Show up with your best 7R as we will and race...

You keep buying those 7Rs looking for the golden goose and I'll wait to see how pissed you are once the 7Rs are made obsolete within a year when a newer, better motor is unveiled. Just wait because it's gonna happen.
  • S.O. Watt likes this
William Custer

#56 Jeff Bonanno

Jeff Bonanno

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

I totally dislike handouts because, well, I have terrible luck with getting duds. I like and welcome any rule change but hand-outs, no thanks. :)

Plus I have to travel far so it's not worth the risk doing hand-outs.

#57 willy wonka

willy wonka

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

I'm not necessarily for hand-outs but if the 7R is going to forced upon us I'd rather everyone race out of the same batch. Clearly the Hawks differ from batch to batch and that's why the motor rule change. Because let's face it if the 7Rs were still like the first run that was used at the R4 hand-out race none of this would have taken place. The performance is so drastically different it only makes sense.
William Custer

#58 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:09 PM

Will the first part of the announcement states at Premier events.

It does not say they cannot be used anywhere any time.

You are saying hand-outs for Premier events but this gives everyone the chance to prepare for the Premier event ahead of time.
Eddie Fleming

#59 Jeff Bonanno

Jeff Bonanno

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

All your points are valid and make sense.

I dunno... hand-outs has just been an issue with me, it's my own personal thing. Like I had three hand-outs at the RP and two of them did 4.4 to 4.5s... and my third was barely good enough for the A Main; in Pro Coupe i would have placed close to last.

#60 Jeff Bonanno

Jeff Bonanno

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

Actually I'd like to know very soon what RetroPalooza rules will be so I can plan accordingly...

#61 willy wonka

willy wonka

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

Yeah, you don't wanna be in the boat Jason Holmes is in. Spend 2,100 bucks under the assumption nothing was changing only to find out that's false.
  • Dan Ebert likes this
William Custer

#62 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

I think for the super, over-the-top competitor, hand-outs are a downer. For midpack racers on slim budgets, hand-outs are happening.
You can quote me.

-Mark

#63 willy wonka

willy wonka

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

No one has won more Retro races in the last year then me and I'm all for hand-outs. Was totally against it for the R4 untill I seaw it done and the running order didn't change a bit. Sold me. Cheaper for racers.
  • Ramcatlarry, S.O. Watt, Half Fast and 3 others like this
William Custer

#64 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

Actually I'd like to know very soon what RetroPalooza rules will be so I can plan accordingly...

Retropalooza is an IRRA® Premier race which takes place after 4/1/18. Therefore only 7Rs motors for all classes as stated in Post #1.

Cheers,

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#65 willy wonka

willy wonka

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:51 PM

Can you not read? It's up to the race track officials to determine if it's hand-outs or not. IRRA® has nothing to do with the choice of motor or the choice of hand-outs or not.

William Custer

#66 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,216 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

A few things.

Submission cutoff date has not been determined because we've had one real sick BoD member, and have limited opportunity to discuss.

We're not planning it to be soon.

To answer some of the questions and comments made by racers on FB SCRT, some who can still post here, and some who were banned while most are not current IRRA® racers, I will address them.

1 - The $19.95 price ceiling was not arrived at because we had someone waiting in the wings, with a motor that price.

We were hoping that with a higher price, there was a chance for better QC in China.

2 - We did not reopen submissions, because we had recent discussions with someone waiting in the wings, with a motor.

2A - Professor Motor approached us 5/12/17 with their motor.

We replied on the same day; Motor submittals are currently closed. 

2B - We have not had any discussions with Professor Motor until today, when they contacted me, hearing submissions are back open.

3 - To the few racers clamoring for the 4002FK, forget it. For the same reason you don't see the JK Hawk 6 approved, you won't see the PS4002FK. The BoD all agree they don't want a comm that's easily accessible.

The Retro Hawk style motor has proven to be a terrific success for the IRRA®, providing fair, close racing. The 7R situation is an unfortunate one, beyond our control. We hope Tim gets a handle on it, but we have to do what we have to do.

Now everyone knows more than they need to.

Anyone that thinks this is some sort of conspiracy is welcome to make that claim to my face, or call me at (708) 203-8003, and express their sentiments on something other than a keyboard.

• Arne Saknussem, tonyp, Dan Ebert and 5 others like this

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#67 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:03 PM

Can you not read? It's up to the race track officials to determine if it's hand-outs or not. IRRA® has nothing to do with the choice of motor or the choice of hand-outs or not.

I would suggest that reading comprehension is your issue, not mine. read Post #1 again.

Jeers,

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#68 willy wonka

willy wonka

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:16 PM

If anyone of the Premier events decide to have hand-outs at their Premier event it is their decision and not the IRRA® BoD. So again it's up to the hosting tracks as to have a hand-out race or not.

This past year's R4 was hand-out with good success I might add. Not sure what you don't understand about that.

William Custer

#69 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

Yes, a raceway can decide all hand-outs (probably unlikely though), but all motors would have to be 7Rs.

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

#70 old & gray

old & gray

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:41 PM

Submission cutoff date has not been determined because we've had one real sick BoD member, and have limited opportunity to discuss.

If there was a competent investigation, I would wager the all of the IRRA® BoD members would be found to be 'sick' for absorbing this much abuse simply for their loyalty to the sport.

• Cheater, MSwiss, kvanpelt and 1 other like this
Bob Schlain

#71 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• 21,364 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

Your wager would be right especially since the biggest complainers do nothing to help the organization. Getting a bit old.

Someday they might realize it’s not about them.

• Tim Neja, JerseyJohn and Dan Ebert like this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#72 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

You keep buying those 7rs looking for the golden goose and I'll wait to see how pissed you are once the 7rs are made obsolete within a year when a newer better motor is unveiled. Just wait because it's gonna happen.

Will, I have 15 7Rs total, some from each batch. I'm not buying any more because whatever I have is fine. I'm not into that whole rocket motor thing because the faster I go the more I fall off. LOL, but that's just me.

I went to the checkpoint in 2013. Had a ball. Cars were heavy. etc., didnt matter. The best $2K i spents, I got to see the west coast legends and hang with Oscar (RIP), Jai and, the rest.

IMO I would think Jason would have a better chance finding his own power than hoping a han- out will be the one. Honestly there is no fair and even opportunity with hand-outs because most everyone has a different skill level. I find for al ot of us hand-outs make it harder. It takes more time to break-in a motor and hope it's OK times three motors. Than try and get on the track, than do it again, blah, blah, blah. No fun... 

JJ TRADE MARK BANNER copy.jpg

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God since 2007"
" Internationally Know Slot Car Racing Celebrity "
https://www.facebook...nchassisworks/#
Email me

#73 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,216 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

If there was a competent investigation, I would wager the all of the IRRA® BoD members would be found to be 'sick' for absorbing this much abuse simply for their loyalty to the sport.

Bob,

What's super-awesome is when a raceway owner, who PM'd me, asking me how to get kids in his raceway, (and I answered despite being swamped at the time) posts a link to a laser engraver on Ebay, alluding to some sort of newly created cheating opportunity.

Oh, and to top that off, he has a Retro race, run under IRRA® rules, scheduled at his raceway in approximately three weeks.

Yes, it's great to be appreciated.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#74 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:31 PM

Retro Palooza at Port Jefferson Raceway in June will be the first IRRA Premier Event influenced by the IRRA new motor rules.
Many different opinions.
The most important point is to make 2018 RP as successful as, or more successful than 2017RP.
In addition to the regular out of state racers, Jason Holmes, Duran, Alex are expected to race there.
Our Team Tokyo racers at Buena Park Raceway, Fast Eddie and Jay Henry are considering to race there.
6 Retro Tokyo racers including myself have already bought the air tickets between Tokyo and JFK.
We will be there whatever motor rules may be enforced.
R4 will be held in March under the motor rules in which any Retro Hawks with long shafts will be legal for all the classes except for hand-out GTC class.
How about make it same for Retro Palooza in June, just a few months after R4.
A small modification would make it easier for many people.
Major rule changes are better to be announced well in advance, at least 6month, preferably 12 months, before their enforcement.
Good Racing,
Haruki
  • Phil Hackett and Jason Holmes like this
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

Where do we go from here: chaos or community?

#75 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:13 AM

Haruki

I hope your wisdom is listened to because at this Point my Partner's in Socal are staying Home unless it goes this way and I also have bought everything But no to R7's only 

jason

Electric Dreams Online Shop