5 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

...just so I can build a motor.  This one was a $15 or so lost cause from eBay that came with some garbage aluminum inline chassis.  The motor was some sort of home rewind that was actually pretty good, although it didn't run.  I cleaned the com enough to meter it and got fairly consistent readings, but the crown was drilled off-center to balance the motor, and the lams were giving way.

IMG_2447.JPG

Opening up the motor, the can bushing fell out, so installing a fixed bushing replacement was job #1.  No problem, the motor will only run better anyway.  The end bell wasn't melted too bad, but the "Mabuchi Crack" was of course job #2

IMG_2448.JPG

After a whole bunch of stripping, sanding, painting, bushing replacement new magnet-scrounging (I have a set that measure somewhere between the stock ones and Arcos...closer to the Arco end of the scale), the can was done.  It got a coat of anodized purple.

The end bell needed "the crack" repaired, so I whipped-up a collar for that, and soldered the hoods to the brush tubes.  After all that I dyed the end bell blotchy purple :) and reinstalled the brush hardware with a fiber washer underneath the screw mounts.

IMG_2449.JPG

That's a whole lot of messing-around, and the magnets still have to be installed and an arm built and wound.  In an alternate universe, these things would be $200 motors.  :D

• slotbaker, Pablo, Tex and 5 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 Kim Lander

Kim Lander

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

SWEEEEET !!!!!!!!!

• havlicek and Mark Mattei like this

#3 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:27 PM

Definitely a "Princely" creation! 

• havlicek likes this
John Stewart

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

Thanks guys!  I forgot to mention that the motor's end bell bushing was fairly worn, so I scrounged around and found one that was actually still tight by Mabuchi standards!  Anyway, the motor is going to be fine for a solid "period" rewind with all the stuff that has gone into this...not a firebreather, but something waaay faster and smoother than what a kid could have grabbed off the shelf at the local smokey/smelly track back then.  I see that sort of thing (like a 50-55/29) as the way to go with most of these old motors.  Sure, the occasional "stoopit" drag motor is fun, but I come at this from my personal POV and "wonder" seeing someone with a custom rewound Mabuchi running circles around all the cars I *thought* were fast.  :D  Just seeing drill holes in an armature back then was an "oooo and ahhhh" moment.  ;)

• olescratch likes this
John Havlicek

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

OK...I went a little warmer, so shoot me.  No...wait...I was only jesting!  I did up a 44/28 for this old girl, and she should be fine:

IMG_2450.JPG

John Havlicek

#6 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:35 PM

Really like this one!  Gotta be the purple.  A 28 wind seems to be the standard for this type of build, hot, but not too hot.  Looks great, is it an orphan?  I've got a purple Prowler that needs a power plant!

John Stewart

Electric Dreams Online Shop