24 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:13 PM

Maybe you know it and maybe you don't, but there has never been an accurate and up-to-date list of commercial raceways anywhere. Part of the reason this is so is the fragility and impermanence of commercial raceways. Another part is that most of the raceways themselves seemingly have no interest in maintaining their own entries in such lists. A third issue is the fact that certain industry figures refuse to cooperate to create such a list.

So we're going to try a different approach, one we've had under consideration for some time.

Slotblog is seeking individual volunteers to take on the task of keeping just a single state's raceway list current and accurate. This ought not to be a huge job, as few states have more than a handful of raceways at most. All it really will require is comittment, communication, and follow-up. And if anyone wishes to take on the responsibility for more than one state (appropriate for some sparsely-populated areas) that would be fine, too.

We request basic info for the listings: raceway name, location, hours of operation, telephone number, number of type of tracks (if known). Classes and schedule for weekly racing would be a bonus, as would the owner's name.

Listings will be edited to a standard format. Additionally, the raceway list forum will be moderated, i.e. posts/listings made to any state subforum will not appear immediately, but must be approved by a moderator first.

The fact that volunteers are being asked to take "responsibility" for a state's listings does not mean that raceway owners and racers are prohibited from submitting info on raceways of which they aware. In fact, we would encourage raceway listing submissions from all parties in the initial phase of populating this raceway list. And if you have additional info to add to a listing, just post beneath that listing and the info will be incorporated.

Yes, this approach to creating an accurate raceway list is a real stretch and probably has less than a 50% chance of succeeding over time. But all it will take to make it work is 50 guys who are willing to take on a minimal task. Are there 50 slot racers that dedicated to their hobby? We'll see... Posted Image

BTW, other countries are not being intentionally slighted. It's a fact that few commercial raceways exist outside of the US, but if any listings for non-US raceways are submitted, an appropriate category will be created.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:28 PM

Hey, I can do Indiana... how do we post the info???

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:38 PM

Thank you, Ron.

Just post to the state's subforum (Indiana in your case), like making a post anywhere else at Slotblog.

As for info requested, take a look at the entries I've started loading into the Georgia subforum.

Remember, your post will not immediately appear; it has to be approved first.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 5,538 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:05 PM

Has any thought been given to listing non-public raceways (aka club tracks)?
"You might not think that's cricket, and it's not. It's motor racing." - Murray Walker

#5 Bob Campbell

Bob Campbell

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:07 PM

Greg,

I'll do Colorado! I need to get some info first before I post anything though.

Has any thought been given to listing non-public raceways (aka club tracks)?

As far as club tracks are concerned, I will try to get info on these also and post it. The club tracks might take longer.
Bob Campbell
BC RallySport
Colorado Springs, CO

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:47 AM

Folks,

Let me emphasize again:

Listings you add will not appear immediately after you post. They appear ONLY after an admin approves them!

I'm pedalling as fast as I can, but with teching in LaGrange yesterday, picking up the missus at the airport, now being forced to go out to brunch with my kids, it'll be later today before the entries you nice folks have added will be made visible.

As for club tracks, I'm thinking we ought to put them elsewhere, like in the club forum, rather than conmingle them with the commercial raceways. Any opinions on this?

Gregory Wells

#7 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:57 AM

As for club tracks, I'm thinking we ought to put them elsewhere, like in the club forum, rather than conmingle them with the commercial raceways. Any opinions on this?

I agree - and if the track is in a private residence, I feel that it is only right to ask the owner's permission before the track is listed.
"You might not think that's cricket, and it's not. It's motor racing." - Murray Walker

#8 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

How about this:

Let each track owner either join the blog themselves and maintain this forum or delegate someone on their behalf?

Personally, I would do the Race Place and Dom's. However, Jerry's son Jerry is on Slotblog, as is Dom.

I would allow myself to be delegated because I got free time, I'm on Slotblog ten times a day every day, and I type fast, and I like Jerry and Dom, a LOT! :)

How about that idea?

Mikey

Mike DiVuolo

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#9 JEngland

JEngland

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:32 AM

I'll take the Volunteer State.

How about something different this time around? Like a fair and impartial review of the raceway , when they race , what the tracks are like ? Are the races run well? What classes and when? let's take it to the next level verses a simple address listing.
John England

If you hear banjo music, paddle faster!

#10 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:43 AM

"Fair and impartial review" of the raceway is going to be difficult; if for no other reason than the differing skill levels and interests of individual racers. My personal opinion is that the only way we would get a "fair an impartial" review is if we could send "The Stig" from Top Gear to all of the raceways in the USA.

I have tried to pack as much FACTUAL information into the listings I have created as possible. If anyone has additional information for a raceway that I have posted, I would be happy to add to it.

I understand Greg's position with regard to "the basics", but I feel that providing some additional information might inspire someone to make the effort to visit a raceway that they might otherwise not bother with.

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

Let each track owner either join the blog themselves and maintain this forum or delegate someone on their behalf?

Mikey,

The only problem with your suggestion is that it has not worked well in other places where raceway listing have been tried. Raceway owners typically struggle with all of the tasks on their plates and many don't take the time to enter their facility in such listings.

Gregory Wells

#12 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

I'll take the Volunteer State.

How about something different this time around? Like a fair and impartial review of the raceway, when they race, what the tracks are like? Are the races run well? What classes and when? Let's take it to the next level verses a simple address listing.

John,

I'll add you as the Tennessee coordinator. Start posting entries when you can, please!

Regarding your suggestion, I wanted to give this Raceway Listing a try (with the twist of a volunteer "responsible" for each state's listings) because none of the previous attempts by other boards have done particularly well with their listings, in terms of being complete and accurate. As mentioned in the first post, the slot car distributors seemingly feel that keeping their raceway customer lists confidential prevents their competition from going after "their" customers.

Why I decided to attempt this project has to do mainly with the numerous emails and PMs I get from racers who have discovered Slotblog and want to know where the nearest raceway is. At present, I don't have a list I can refer them to.

As for the listings themselves, I think it will be best to stick to basic info:

Name, address, phones, website (if they have one), hours of operation, tracks with pics if possible, owners.

MG has done a great job adding some additional info to the entries he's made, but it needs to be kept in mind that the main function of the listing is to tell people where the raceways are!

Weekly racing schedule is okay, but this is not particular stable at most raceways and without someone committed to updating the info regularly, it might be less accurate over time. Heck, many raceways change hours of operation from time to time, too.

Gregory Wells

#13 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:25 AM

Greg,

Good point.

I'll volunteer to post on behalf of the Race Place but I need to discuss it first with Jerry and Jackie Herbert before I start doing it.

I'll keep you posted.

Mikey

Mike DiVuolo

#14 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

Mikey,

One of us is confused. :laugh2:

Take a look at the New Jersey subforum, where you will find a listing for The Race Place that you posted (and that I tweaked into our standard format for these listings...)

Gregory Wells

#15 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:39 PM

LOL.

I saw that already, Greg, but I wasn't sure why.

Was I nominated for Jersey? :)

Seems like knowledge and acting fast... is... I don't want to say power but some other word... I'll use... interesting.

OK, I'm in for The Race Place.

I'll talk to Dom Roselli (sizzlerdom) if he wants me to promote and keep his page up-to-date.

Mike DiVuolo

#16 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

Greg,

Check the Race Place link and see if I'm stepping out of line.

You can PM me anytime or fix stuff for me, I'm pretty laid back - I only get fired up when I feel like I get the business end of a broom.

Mikey

Mike DiVuolo

#17 slotbaker

slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:15 PM

How about international tracks, for when Slotbloggers travel?

I'd be happy to do Australia - NSW

There may also be tracks in other states as well;
Australia - Vic
Australia - SA
Australia - Qld
Australia - WA
Australia - Tas

:huh:

Steve King

#18 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:37 AM

I find it disheartening that so few raceway owners take the time to promote themselves on-line, but given the amount of effort that it takes to keep a raceway afloat, I can understand this.

It's also a shame that apparently few raceways have customers who will step up and make an effort to support their local raceways. This I don't understand; does anyone have an idea why this is so?

#19 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:00 AM

Promotion is a big part of operating ANY business.

When I managed 1:1 tracks I took advantage of ALL free listings and publicity opprtunities. My motto was: Free is Free! What have you got to lose?

LM

#20 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

How about international tracks, for when Slotbloggers travel?

I'd be happy to do Australia - NSW

Steve,

That would be great. I think I mentioned that I'm happy to create categories for any international listings on an "as needed" basis. As you may know, there are not very many commecial raceways outside of the US.

Just post your entries under any category. New entries don't appear until I approve them and I'll create the appropriate category and move your entires to it before making them visible.

Thanks!

Gregory Wells

#21 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

I find it disheartening that so few raceway owners take the time to promote themselves on-line, but given the amount of effort that it takes to keep a raceway afloat, I can understand this.

It's also a shame that apparently few raceways have customers who will step up and make an effort to support their local raceways. This I don't understand; does anyone have an idea why this is so?

MG,

I think it is just like the racing organizations: everyone just wants to race without having to be involved in the management side.

Gregory Wells

#22 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:38 AM

Mikey D agrees with Cheater.

If you like your hobby, GET INVOLVED! If you don't, at least carry some business cards to hand out to your friends! :)

Thanks, Greg and MG. :)

Mikey

Mike DiVuolo

#23 Phil Irvin

Phil Irvin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:16 AM

:angry:
A lot of people put their track in a post but there is no way to tell what state they're in. Is there a way to also do an track alphabetical listing showing what state they are in to cross check?

Phil I. :blush:

#24 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:31 AM

If the raceway is in the directory you could find the raceway name using My Assistant/Search.

#25 Phil Irvin

Phil Irvin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:02 PM

:D

Thank you,

Phil

Electric Dreams Online Shop