53 replies to this topic

#51 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:50 PM

If you want camaraderie come race in Retro East.  Everyone helps others at any time.  Maybe that's why we have been around 11 years.  Just sayin...

Referring to a much earlier post by Gary Bauer. He mentioned (paraphrasing) his group being lax on technical inspection and leaving enforcement up to racers conscience and peer pressure.

I strongly disagree with this attitude. Rule sets must be strictly enforced or you get blatant cheaters running super 16 arms with violated seals in sealed motor classes. Some will counter with more cheating but many more will just abandon the class or the hobby. Sometimes people just drift away and we wonder why.

The above is a real life example. Cheating finally got reined in by going to racers enforced tech with the necessary tools present.

I would suggest that part of the success of Retro East has also been, the strict tech inspection done by our  Haupt Inspektor :) , so that the playing field is level for everyone.

Cheers

• tonyp and Richard G With like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#52 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:39 PM

The helpful attitude of Retro racers and particularly the Dallas guys keeps me in the game! I also appreciate the adherence to the rules.

To clarify, my example was NOT about a Retro class or venue where Retro happens.

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#53 old & gray

old & gray

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

While people are commenting on places that are welcoming to returning old racers I would like to add the New England Retro Racing series.

Not only are the “older” racers helpful to a returning racer but the young front running racers have offered unsolicited assistance with my cars. (This was a lot more than I was doing at that age.) An amusing moment was when one young racer offered to introduce me to Dominic Luongo, and I had to admit Dom and I had been racing together before the “youngster” was born.

• Noose and Samiam like this
Bob Schlain

#54 Bernard Powell

Bernard Powell

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:39 AM

Now that the way it is and should be!!!
Everyone helping to support!

Electric Dreams Online Shop