• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

Let's not forget Retro cars are soldered together from brass and wire. With full functioning front wheels. Running on spray glue.

The current crop of 65t/#30 motors are plenty fast for these "Retro Style" cars. They are running sub 4 sec laps on fast Kings. I have never heard a single participating racer complain they needed to be faster. 

• Half Fast likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#27 Bernard Powell

Bernard Powell

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:56 AM

Wow very interesting, but what I didn't see is a way to rectify the problems,
Like it or not, the RTR cars are responsible for the resurgence of slot car racing. It is an entry-level way to get in!
Now let's face facts, most slot car racers are not accommodating to new people asking them questions.
So these ready to run cars are what's fueling the resurgence of slot car racing, with their sealed motor!! The problem is when these new race with their RTR cars see the speed of the old racer and his tuned and refined slot cars, most of the time but not all they're met with a cold shoulder!
In fact that's what's killing the resurgence of slot car racing!!!
Think about it... I'll wait

#28 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:01 AM

most of the time but not all they're met with a cold shoulder

This is very contradictory to my experience and I think based on a narrow sample.

While the competition may be serious on the track, most of my racing customers through the years have been more than willing to help newcomers increase the performance of their cars and improve their driving.

Shooting fish in a barrel may be entertaining for some but it doesn't much help the fish.

Unfortunately, there really is no great resurgence of huge 8 lane track high speed thingie unrealistic slot car racing..but, the Internet has allowed us to see how popular slot car racing  actually is and always has been worldwide.

Isn't that amazing?

• tonyp, Half Fast, NSwanberg and 1 other like this

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#29 Bernard Powell

Bernard Powell

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:59 AM

You are so very right in some instances!! we need more of that .
I wish the world was perfect every place
LOL

#30 aquavelvis

aquavelvis

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

...Shooting fish in a barrel may be entertaining for some but it doesn't much help the fish...

Criminy, where do you come up with this stuff? They teach you that in business school at UT? 

Scott Taylor

#31 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,571 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

Now let's face facts, most slot car racers are not accommodating to new people asking them questions.

The problem is when these new race with their RTR cars see the speed of the old racer and his tuned and refined slot cars, most of the time but not all they're met with a cold shoulder!

I see you live in Chicago, where there are some real nice raceways. Why don't you go ahead and reveal specifics to back up your words.

Name of raceway where fellow racers were "not accommodating" to new people?

Where RTR cars race in the same class as "old racers with tuned and refined slot cars"?

Where they are met with a "cold shoulder"?

I can hardly wait to hear your answer. I know you have raced at Chicagoland and Mike Swiss doesn't run that kind of business. Period.

Paul Wolcott

#32 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,989 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:15 PM

Some of Bernard's posts get lost in translation. Lol

He's back at the raceway now, thrashing, while I'm about to walk into Home Depot, to finish getting parts for the spray booth I am building for him and Jim Crider, so they quit getting overspray on my floor, when they paint their hardbodies.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#33 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:21 PM

Every race I have ever been in I have found most if not all the veteran racers go out of their way to help the newbies get up to speed. Noose will tell you how many times he loaned a car to someone who didn't have that class car, only to be beat by his own car. I'm not saying there aren't any grouchy old racers who are solely focused on their own program and won't give you the time of day(or recommend a gear ratio). I am saying they are few and far between.  

• MSwiss, Noose, Half Fast and 3 others like this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."

#34 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,571 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

Did I ruin the party by asking for facts to back up Bernard's allegations of mistreatment of newbies?

"In fact that's what's killing the resurgence of slot car racing!!! Think about it... I'll wait"

OK I'm waiting for answers to my questions. All of a sudden, the room went silent.......

Bernard, I am still waiting.......

Paul Wolcott

#35 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,571 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:47 PM

Wow very interesting, but what I didn't see is a way to rectify the problems,
Like it or not, the RTR cars are responsible for the resurgence of slot car racing. It is an entry-level way to get in!
So these ready to run cars are what's fueling the resurgence of slot car racing, with their sealed motor!! The problem is when these new race with their RTR cars see the speed of the old racer and his tuned and refined slot cars, most of the time but not all they're met with a cold shoulder!
In fact that's what's killing the resurgence of slot car racing!!!
Think about it... I'll wait

Paul Wolcott

#36 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,989 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

I told Bernard you were looking for a follow-up comment.

FWIW, Bernard is super, super, helping out new racers.

• garyvmachines likes this

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#37 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,676 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:35 PM

I always love the "motor builder" guys that say--" I can get away with only of couple of motors to be competitive"!!!  :shok:  :laugh2:  :dash2:    Yeah SURE---AFTER they have spent HOURS and HOURS of time working on making 10 good setups to put the 50 arms through that they've bought to find that "magic" bullet!!  OH and remember, they had to RUN all those motors until they discovered the arm wasn't fast enough for the King track,  and put ANOTHER arm in the setup once they decided THAT setup actually was a good one!!  I've been involved in this scene before--and YES---cheapo little sealed chinese motors have their OWN PROBLEMS!!  :crazy:   But over time that's a known quantity and we learn to deal with it!! Once you go down the "builder" tunnel, it's a never ending "Arms" race!! Send your arms out for balance and retrue the comms--the assemble with new brush's / bearings / springs etc.  Oh yeah--it's really inexpensive!!! And factor in the TIME it takes to do all that!!! Sorry, I'm much happier bolting in my $13 sealed motor and giving it a go!!! And NOW that BPR has gone to a "hand out" program,  real or not, I feel it's the MOST FAIR way to race!!  Limit 3 motors--so no BIG $$$--and everyone has the chance to find a bulltet or not!!  Simple,  NOTHING is perfect.  Each program has it's own merits--but there's a LOT of motor builder class's---why mess with Retro??  There's PLENTY of other kinds of racing to do!! GO DO IT and leave Retro alone!  :clapping:  :D

• tonyp, Half Fast, kvanpelt and 2 others like this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#38 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

I concur.

The horsepower suggestion might really be a little excessive but there's nothing wrong with ceasing the silliness of defining racers capabilities by the equipment they own and going back to their ability to drive it to determine what race they belong in.

As I recall, driver classes with common equipment in each worked quite well until someone decided that every class of car local raceways came up with for happy weekly racing needed to be incorporated into the Nationals rules so the hosting raceway could make a buck...how has that worked out?

Oops, just a a rhetorical question: umpteen classes = umpteen "National Champions". 

All winners no losers, pass-fail slot car racing.

YOMV

I refer to it as "Socialized Racing" because losing is something intolerable by today's society. A better description should be AYSO Racing for the same reason.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#39 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,275 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:21 PM

At least the Deathstar 16D could be rebuilt & used in something else when it slowed down instead of being thrown in the trash. Yes, there are rebuildable mini motors, but they're no longer widely used..Some of us older old guys enjoy building motors as much as building chassis. Since I don't have a raceway that runs retros, who cares?

• Horsepower and philk like this

Bill Fernald

I heard they weren't going to make yardsticks any longer.

#40 Bernard Powell

Bernard Powell

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:35 PM

Pablo I'm very sorry that things get lost in translation but what I was talking about was all around the places I've been, places I travel to you and you know for a fact not every track is accommodating,
I can remember a short three years ago before I came back to slot racing I was showing one of my friends what I used to do at a so-called track in the Chicagoland area, I go in there and I see a few people that I remember from back in the day so I'm talking to them, mid conversation that I'm having with these two people who are at this track, I was told by the owner of the track and I had to leave them alone because they were preparing for a race and I needed to get out of the store

#41 Bernard Powell

Bernard Powell

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:39 PM

So my statements were made out of things that happened to me not just hearsay. But because of that treatment I came back to slot car racing and met up with an old friend Mike Swiss, and I have been racing at Chicagoland Raceway ever since.
I do not know your issues but what I've seen the sports in dire need of help, I try to help everyone out!! And people that know me or seen me will tell you the same thing, I help people out so much I do not concentrate on my own cars but the enjoyment of racing is what I like.
Now I hope that's enough explanation for you, but if it's not I will try to explain further
  • Samiam and philk like this

#42 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,571 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:55 PM

I get it. You had one bad experience at another raceway and are not referring to Mike Swiss' operation.

I still totally disagree with your statements that most racers are not helpful and give peers the "cold shoulder".

Maybe at that "other raceway" it goes that way. I've been there myself and gotten snubbed in much the same manner.

I assure you places and people like that are few and far between. Most all slot people are good mugs.

• Horsepower and Samiam like this
Paul Wolcott

#43 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:39 PM

I try to help everyone out!! And people that know me or seen me will tell you the same thing, I

:good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

Bernards a good guy!  He gets my vote.

:clapping: :clapping: :victory: :victory:

• Samiam likes this

#44 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

Lot of nights I spend more time working on the new guy's cars more than my own!   It's either that or they will lose interest and quit.

• Rob Voska and Samiam like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#45 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:15 PM

, I was told by the owner of the track and I had to leave them alone because they were preparing for a race and I needed to get out of the store

Bernard,

Can you please PM me with the name of this raceway. I want to make sure I don't wander in there one day and interfere with their racing program.

Sam Levitch

#46 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,571 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

You can PM me, I know the answer.

Paul Wolcott

#47 Bernard Powell

Bernard Powell

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:22 AM

Pablo I know you know the answer, and I agree with you most slot races are very very good it's just a few that give a bad name. Believe me I was not trying to shed bad lights on anyone in slot car racing, the only point I was trying to make we need more camaraderie in this sport we're trying to maintain.

#48 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:41 AM

Ahh, so many ways to reply to this topic. In short my opinion is spec. chassis, sealed motors and short flat tracks are the way to go! I also know that opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one. 

With the exception of Chicgoland, BPR and a few others, commercial slot car raceways are are more than what I would call "economically challenged". Big rent for big tracks and limited earning potential from a small number of participants. Frankly, I don't know how even the successful stay in business. I think much of the credit goes to the acumen of the Track Owner! If I lived near a well run commercial facility, with a King or other large track, I think my choice would be retro. I might have to buy a chassis or two but the classes look like fun (My preference is a bit more scale look)

Club tracks or smaller footprint stores like Sidewinder Raceway may be the future of the hobby. The smaller footprint stores may have a better chance of survival. I did write a piece on Sidewinder on this forum.  See the link  know that some do not like the 1/32 cars and that is OK. Scale cars just happen to be my preference. 

Personally, I prefer the short and mostly flat club track or the flat tracks at commercial facilities. Club Raceways in Oregon like Pelican Park or Electron Raceway running 1/24.1/25 hard bodies are great examples. The short tracks focus on skill more than motor. Also, the shorter straights lead to less carnage for hard bodies (which I also prefer). Motor building and chassis building takes skill and time - time and effort that some don't want to spend. Spec chassis with sealed motors may expand the base of folks interested in the hobby who don't want to spend that much time and effort. We use sealed motors in all of our classes (Deathstar, ProSlot sealed 16d and Hawk of Falcon 7).  I love the close competition that this format affords. Of course one has to fiddle with chassis set-up, paint and decal plastic bodies, etc. but the learning curve is not that steep. Frankly, I prefer a drivers track and sealed motors. 

Many of you may have seen the posts on Electron Raceway in this forum. If not, here is a link to our latest race which shows the cars we are running. http://slotblog.net/topic/82678-triathlon-at-electron-raceway-on-12518/

I sure there are others that like other forms of racing and that is OK too. 

Rich Vecchio

#49 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• 21,335 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:45 AM

If you want camaraderie come race in Retro East.  Everyone helps others at any time.  Maybe that's why we have been around 11 years.  Just sayin...

• Half Fast and Bernie like this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#50 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:41 PM

Referring to a much earlier post by Gary Bauer. He mentioned (paraphrasing) his group being lax on technical inspection and leaving enforcement up to racers conscience and peer pressure.

I strongly disagree with this attitude. Rule sets must be strictly enforced or you get blatant cheaters running super 16 arms with violated seals in sealed motor classes. Some will counter with more cheating but many more will just abandon the class or the hobby. Sometimes people just drift away and we wonder why.

The above is a real life example. Cheating finally got reined in by going to racers enforced tech with the necessary tools present.

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

Electric Dreams Online Shop