• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

I hooked the power supply directly to the motor of the tire truer; it worked fine, but one relatively short session(30 minutes?) for 3 sets of tires probably isn't conclusive. For one thing, the power is applied differently in the two scenarios. In normal operations, the power supply is already ON and at a set voltage(usually 5v for me); when you flip the rocker switch, all 5v hits all at once. With the power supply connected directly to the Hudy motor, there is no initial power until turning the knob on the power supply.... power is applied somewhat incrementally even if I turn it as close to 5v as quickly as I can. I'll keep using it, bypassing the rocker switch for now. Just for grins, I blew out the switch from "underneath" with some compressed air. I'm wondering if I can get to the switch from "on top" also(?). I've attached a pic of the switch. There are 3 pieces of black plastic:   1. the rocker itself     2. a collar around the rocker    3. the larger housing         Before I break something I can't fix, does anyone know if I can safely pry off the collar(to perform "on top" inspection) and then replace the collar? Thanks in advance.

Attached Images

• Hudy Switch.jpg

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#27 Gary Pershall

Gary Pershall

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

I can't say for sure but if this rocker switch is like most others the collar is part of the switch. It should be held in by ears that stick out and compress when the switch housing is pushed in or pryed out. 

• Tex likes this

#28 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

Dennis Samson sent me some pics and a tutorial on removing and cleaning the rocker switch. I'll give it a try and let y'all now what I find.

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#29 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:48 AM

Dennis' tutorial did the trick! I opened the switch, saw a little black stuff on one contact(tire dust), scraped it off, roughed up the other contact a bit... back together and working. The actual contact points inside the switch are quite small, a little less than the head of a pin.

• triggerman and Robert BG like this
Richard L. Hofer

Electric Dreams Online Shop