• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 eshorer

eshorer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

Yes, this has been discussed in the past, but it's been awhile and having witnessed this recently I thought I'd get people away from Retro Hawk Analysis 101 for a bit.

So... what are your thoughts on sandbagging for major races? A few people do it for various reasons: To get more time to break-in their motors and bring their tires smaller, to get more practice and racing for their money, to avoid turn marshaling, to feel good beating slower people, etc. On the other hand it can prevent properly seeded drivers the chance to move up, and doesn't give one the chance to see what their best qualifying time can be under the pressure of "all eyes watching." It's not illegal, but it just doesn't sit right with me. Especially when you see someone winning a race by 15 laps. Yes, it's a racing "strategy," I suppose, and sometimes it works, and sometimes it results in one's car getting destroyed among less experienced drivers in an H or G Main, ending an intended long run to the top. 

I'm not proposing we create a new unenforceable rule, but should there be a culture to dissuade racers from doing it? Thoughts?
Eddie
Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#2 Cap Henry

Cap Henry

CHR Cars

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:05 PM

Personally one-s self pride should be enough to prevent it.
  • MSwiss, Tex, tonyp and 2 others like this

Team PSC
Parma PSE
CHR Cars
JDR-Joe Dirt Racing

#3 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

I'm with Cap on this. Most try their best. As far as policing it, no rule against so race on 

jason

Remember you might have this more at handout races or the perceived sandbagger because he has no motor like me and Craig's motors were Turds. Mill's was a rocket but his car at the time was on black ice when he qualified. Now the 1 in ?? see's no problem with it so I think we move on. Sometime the Windshield sometimes the Bug

#4 Pat Skeggs

Pat Skeggs

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

Don't do moves up, do most laps. You will see no sandbagging.
  • Pappy, Phil Hackett, eshorer and 1 other like this

#5 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:02 PM

There's already a culture to dissuade such activity... we think such people are douches.

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#6 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

And I've had the opposite problem...car was a rocket on the track by itself, but when 7 other cars were on the track it slowed by almost 4 tenths.  Felt like I was driving on the freeway in a Yugo  LOL

• Jason Holmes likes this
"Whatever..."

#7 eAddict

eAddict

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

One club I raced with had breakout times.  Wanna sandbag?  it will cost you a heat and set a new bar for you.  keep beating it and you keep losing scoring.  Have too much of a jump and you are disqualified.  Made for an interesting evening.  The guys in that club didn't feel the need to pull punches and thus everyone tried to do their best from the beginning of the evening.  There was more than a few seasons to tweak all the break-out rules but what they ended up works for them.

• Tex likes this

#8 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,516 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

I had a situation where I qualified HORRIBLY for the coupe race---3rd from LAST in a 30 car field.  I had to work and only got to the track in time to qualify with NO practice laps!!  I had put a new motor in the car the night before--and it apparently had not broken in yet!  I was able to get the car going in the D main and made it all the way to the A!! It would appear I "sandbagged" but that was NOT my intent.  I just got lucky and the motor came in as I moved up.  You can tell by my lap times as the car got better every race!! But I'm not sure where I fall in the "sandbagging" discussion.  IF someone does this--he doesn't really take a spot from another racer, because he would have been in the main above them anyway?? And in doing this, the racer takes a MAJOR chance that he gets collected in a racing incident and his car gets broken.  I'm not sure I understand all the ramifications so this discussion will be good!

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#9 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

I'm not in a flood zone, no need for sandbags
  • Tim Neja, Jason Holmes and Tom Eatherly like this
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#10 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

OK , what did Mark do now?

:beach:

• Bryan Warmack and Jason Holmes like this
Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#11 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,063 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

To get more time to break-in their motors and bring their tires smaller

The moveup cars should be teched for clearance and minimum tire diameter.

If they are not, then it is not a fair race.

The sit-outs and move-ups are running under 2 different sets of rules.
  • tonyp, Tim Neja, eshorer and 1 other like this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#12 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:00 PM

I think this is a discussion about something that only exists in the minds of people who don't like the practice. I honestly don't believe any racer with a decent car would risk the numerous pitfalls of running unnecessary heats to improve their final finish. The whole idea sounds like a myth. 

I sandbagged a qualifying session once because I had to leave. Got a sub for marshaling duty and bailed right after my main. I might have even made the move up. 

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#13 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,063 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

It exists.

When I was running the regional Retro org, I saw a non-regular in the series, not qualify in both races, to start at the bottom.

In F1, he steamrolled the competition in the C and B Main, and finished 2nd to his teammate, in the A Main.

In Can Am, he steamrolled the field in the C, and then, in the B, he clobbered someone in the 90, where I was marshaling, and broke his guide shoe and didn't move up.

Mike Swiss

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#14 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:31 PM

Well there 'ya go. His Can-Am race shows this is not a very safe practice to make good finishes. Sounds like the guy just wanted to get the most race time for his money. Cheaper than dropping quarters at the arcade room. 

• Pat Skeggs likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#15 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

When I raced I was an extraordinarily mediocre qualifier but I raced much better than I qualified. Made many move-ups sometimes even to main events. I guess that "qualifies" me as a (former) sandbagger.

Seriously, people who sandbag are risking their race in that they could get their car destroyed before the 1st heat ended. Then what?

I once witnessed a big-time racer who raced in a local G27 class (long before this was a common thing) and someone pointed out that the only thing worse for this racer winning against the locals was that he'd get soundly beaten by the locals. You're only as good as the last race you ran.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#16 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,516 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:33 PM

Mike,  I did have to change tires as Bryan did tech my car again for the move up!! FWIW!  

• MSwiss, tonyp and Tom Eatherly like this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#17 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:48 PM

Tim, as you know, I was there for the Coupe race. You came in just in time to enter and qualify. You did NOT sandbag by any stretch.

I've raced with you enough to know you are NOT going to sandbag, ever. Your car was simply not good in qualifying, but, really got good going forward. You kept it in the slot and ran one heck of a race. Period.

This doesn't have anything to do with what Eddie posted about. I understand where Eddy is coming from.

Tom Eatherly

#18 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

Rande Marshall (rest his soul) was notorious for doing this at ORS races. In qualifying, he'd take a bye, or no time. That way, he and Ron would be in different mains, and could pit each other's cars. Used to piss me off, because he usually ended up in the same race as me, and would proceed to bury the field.

My neighbors listen to heavy metal... whether they want to or not!!!

#19 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,063 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

Mike,  I did have to change tires as Bryan did tech my car again for the move up!! FWIW!  

I just commented, based on Eddie's comment, that sand bagging was sometimes used to accomplish that.

Congrats on your enduro-like run, and podium.

Mike Swiss

#20 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,063 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:29 PM

When I raced I was an extraordinarily mediocre qualifier but I raced much better than I qualified. Made many move-ups sometimes even to main events. I guess that "qualifies" me as a (former) sandbagger.

Silly comment, Phil.

This thread is about racers who purposely try to start at the bottom, but not making an 100% effort in qualifying, or no effort at all.

Mike Swiss

Electric Dreams Online Shop