Photo

Combo spray booth/solder fume extractor - examples?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

You may have noticed the home made lazy susan I built to put my parts on.   I put a series of holes in it so you can move the pegs around to fit about any kind of body from F1 to a full sedan.    

Mike, I see you have at least one furnace filter in yours.   I actually put 3 - 12 X12  filters in mine that are permanent.  I also  put one in front of them that I replace every few weeks.    It doesn't take long for the first filter to get pretty well plugged up.   Mine just vents out the back,  but the series of filters stop all overspray.   I no longer have to act surprised when my wife notices all the "dust"  in the basement utility room!!

I built my booth with a trip to Walmart and about $6 for one plastic storage box, $10 for a small 3 speed fan,  $2 for a couple furnace filters.

I see those nice foldable paint booths and really for the money they look like a great deal.    If I wasn't so much of a do it yourselfer I would have just bought one of them.   Same with the lazy susan.   You can use the 40% discount coupon at Hobby Lobby and buy the nice Tamiya version for about $16 or so.   

I think this is something most guys think about doing, but just put it off.   It only takes about an hour to throw something together and simple as they are, they do a decent job of keeping things clean and the spray in the filters and not your lungs or room!

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#27 Bazzie

Bazzie

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:01 PM

If you build you're own, this should work as a filter

https://www.aliexpre...ck=in_edm_other

Eben Brand

#28 Racer36

Racer36

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

Just a heads up for anyone buying a smoke extractor on ebay. I bought a Hakko FA 400 a few weeks ago and paid about 56 bucks with shipping. It arrived and is a knock off, and not a good one. I complained to ebay, and they do not care. I gave a horrible feedback and the seller jumped through hoops to get me to change it . They refunded all my money and told me to keep it. I am going to have to rewire it to make it safe enough to even use.

Be careful what you buy is the moral of the story!

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

Electric Dreams Online Shop