Photo

2018 Parma Checkpoint Cup... a wrap-up and some thanks!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:46 PM

The 10th annual Parma Checkpoint Cup is in the books and what a great weekend it turned out to be! The SCRRA wishes to thank all the racers who attended and who came from near and far to make this years Checkpoint one of the best!

Congrats Duran Trujillo, Dale Yamashita and Alex Freund on their victories and congrats to all the podium finishers!  A special nod to Dale for getting his name on the Cup for the first time with a Flat track F1 win! 

Great to see Howie Ursaner back on a Checkpoint podium with a solid 3rd in F1 and great weekend Howie! 

Awesome Can Am race with Duran Trujillo, Alex Freund and Sam Rackham all breaking or tying the Can Am lap record and all 3 separated by a little over a lap at the end!   Duran wins with 354!

Super run by Charlie Nelson to 4th in Retro Pro and an absolutely awesome run in Retro Coupe by Tim Neja who came from the D Main to the A to battle for the win!  Similar run by Jerry Johnson in F1 to come from the D to the A and other stellar drives in F1 included Ben Cervantes Jr and Jim Lange!  

Great to see John Cukras back with an A Main run in Can Am!  

Other notable drives over the weekend.......Rick Dodge, Don Haase, Tracy Chin, Marc Franco, Jim Lane and a great overall run by Eddie Shorer in all classes!  

Good to see PDL in attendance!  

A great BIG thanks to all our sponsors and their donations.......Parma,  Alpha,  JK Products,  Edge Bodies,  Electric Dreams,   Samson Classics,  Outisight,  Racemasters,  DR Controllers,  V-Tech,  Warmack Racing,  Mill Conroy,  Hi Tech,  Tim Wilkins,  Jason Holmes,  Mission Trail Insurance..........THANKS!!

Thanks again to Nesta Szabo and Kathy Mitome for their usual outstanding work in providing the event with another super Checkpoint poster! ........THANKS!!

Once again the JK Hawk Retro proved to be up to the task in the hand out motor format for Can Am and everything went again without a hitch!  Thanks to everyone for getting all the cars to tech with plenty of time to spare and the call is virtually unanimous amongst the racers to keep up the hand out Hawks for all the major Can Am races!

A Big thanks to everyone who helped out over the weekend......Mill Conroy,  Marc Franco,  Dennis Samson,  Bill Vanderziel,  Tim Neja,  Alex Freund,  Sam Rackham,  Earl McCutcheon,  Craig Correia,  Eddie Shorer,  Jason Holmes......and anyone else who lent a hand, THANKS!

Thanks Eddie for all the thankless track prep you do at these big events!  Thanks Jim and Debby at BPR!

Again the SCRRA wishes to thanks all the racers and kudos to everyone for making this years event so special!  The next big SCRRA event will be the Zimmerman "Festival of Speed" in April.  The next regular SCRRA race will be Saturday February 10 on the Flat track so everyone has another week to recover!  See you there!  :good:

• MSwiss, Tex, Pete L. and 12 others like this

#2 raisin27

raisin27

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

Congrats on a great event, I will be retiring next year and hope to make it out West to race with you guys.

Raisin

• Tim Neja and Jason Holmes like this

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big 3, I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#3 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for your always excellent coverage. :good:

Cheers

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#4 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

And a BIG THANK YOU to Bryan Warmack--our fearless leader who does SO much for the SCRRA behind the scene's as well as at the track!! Without all his tireless efforts, the racing would not run as smoothly as it does!!     :clapping:  :victory:

• Howie Ursaner, Mark Wampler, kvanpelt and 7 others like this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#5 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:24 AM

It was indeed a super Checkpoint Cup event. Great races all around, mighty good numbers of racers in all classes, especially in FT Coupes. While I don't play on the King, I was there for the Can-Am racing. Qualifying and racing were tight. The hand-out motors presented no problems to this observer. Good for the SCRRA and BPR. Super fun!

Tom Eatherly

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,707 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

Did Mike Steube show up during the three days?

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#7 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,751 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

Did Mike Steube show up during the three days?

No appearances this year yet.

#8 eshorer

eshorer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:41 PM

My special thanks go to Mill and Bryan, who always took the time to help me and any other racers with breaking-in motors, soldering pinions, and general setup, even with being as busy as they were with so many other things AND their own cars. I'll have to miss the upcoming Flat Track race, but I'm just itching to go one tooth less on my pinion and give it a go for the next one!

Eddie

• Tim Neja, Tim Wilkins and Tim Wood like this
Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#9 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:17 PM

It would be a little bit too soon to say but I plan to race at 2019 Checkpoint Cup.
The schedule will be the fourth weekend of January?

Haruki
  • Tim Neja, Craig, Tom Eatherly and 1 other like this
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

Where do we go from here: chaos or community?

#10 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:13 AM

Yes, all the Big races are held on the 4th weekend of the month.

January - Checkpoint Cup January 25,26,27 2019

April - Zimmerman Festival of Speed

July - Summer Western Classic

October - Boola Bash

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#11 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,751 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:39 AM

That would be awesome to have your return Haruki San!!  It's always great to race with Team Tokyo!! You guys are the BEST!!! :)

#12 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:37 AM

It would be a little bit too soon to say but I plan to race at 2019 Checkpoint Cup.
The schedule will be the fourth weekend of January?

Haruki

Haruki,

Yes, the 4th weekend in January and all the BPR racers certainly hope you and other Retro Tokyo racers can make it!  FWIW here, the SCRRA has decided to continue with the very successful JK Hawk Retro hand-out motor format for the Can Am race both at this years Summer Western Classic and next years 2019 Parma Checkpoint Cup. As used at this years recent Checkpoint, the motor will again be the JK Hawk Retro SHORT SHAFT variety that everyone had nothing but good things to say about!

The SCRRA has already ordered and reserved the necessary Short Shaft Retro Hawks for both these major events....... :)

• Tex, Tim Neja, usadar and 1 other like this

#13 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:17 PM

Tex,

You gonna try and make it out for the Summer Classic or next year's CP?

Tom Eatherly

#14 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:43 PM

Haruki,
      Yes, the 4th weekend in January and all the BPR racers certainly hope you and other Retro Tokyo racers can make it!  FWIW here, the SCRRA has decided to continue with the very successful JK Hawk Retro hand-out motor format for the Can Am race both at this years Summer Western Classic and next years 2019 Parma Checkpoint Cup. As used at this years recent Checkpoint, the motor will again be the JK Hawk Retro SHORT SHAFT variety that everyone had nothing but good things to say about!

The SCRRA has already ordered and reserved the necessary Short Shaft Retro Hawks for both these major events....... :)

Thanks a lot, Bryan, for the above information. Looking forward to seeing you all at CPC.
  • Bryan Warmack, Jason Holmes and Tom Eatherly like this
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

Where do we go from here: chaos or community?

Electric Dreams Online Shop