13 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

OK, I lied again.  :D  Anyway, I've said it before, but the Mabuchi one-piece can makes for a better motor (IMO) than the modern D-cans. I think that some more can be had from them by closing up the two rectangular holes.

Keeping that in mind, I decided to get busy and make a "best of both worlds" motor for drags or whatever other big-time performance applications are out there. So natch, the can got drilled for mounting and a bearing installed. It also got drilled to match the drilling on some D motor endbell I found in my "pile-o-stuff."

Speaking of the endbell, since the drillings are a match for the old Mura pattern holes, I used two of the stock bottom plates on each side, with a pair of Mura hoods. After installing a set of beefy modern D motor magnets, I'll be ready to build and wind an arm.

IMG_2463.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

• slotbaker, Jencar17, Tex and 4 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

It looks good.

Eddie Fleming

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:47 PM

Thanks, Eddie. 

These make for great motors, I think this one will be a little "greater."

John Havlicek

#4 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:46 PM

Look's kinda "beefy" with the choice of hardware.  

• havlicek likes this
John Stewart

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:54 AM

Look's kinda "beefy" with the choice of hardware.  

Yeah John, but the idea here isn't a "vintage style" (TM Steve Okeefe) thing or even just the updating of an old motor.  It's more about just making what I think is a "better" D motor.  These one piece cans are light and strong, and I think this one will make for a better field with the cross pieces.  Modern strong D motor magnets and a better end bell should complete the package.  Getting those cross pieces on there was more than a little of a PIA, and they're only "pretty much" straight ;) , but the function is more important than the beautiosity.  Last, of course, can drive and full sized brushes are "givens" for any modern motor.

John Havlicek

#6 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

With that BR Green it looks like it should be pushing an early Lotus of some kind.

• havlicek likes this
Eddie Fleming

#7 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:41 AM

With that BR Green it looks like it should be pushing an early Lotus of some kind.

Yeah Eddie.  I get the same thing with that green also...but then again, there's the Mura "Green Giant".  If I was better with a paint brush (*like WAY better), I'be tempted to do some pinstriping, but I ain't so I won't!  :D

Anyway, I'll press-up a stack later for this, and keep the airgap wide here.  I think a middle-of-the-road wind like a #28 or a #27 is the way to go with this one.  Either way, it should whistle pretty nicely. (*cue the Andy Griffith theme song)  ♪ ♫♪ ♪ ♫

John Havlicek

#8 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:39 PM

#27, would be staying in the "unique" character of this build IMO!  Or, it could come with both!!  In regards to the green, Mura was my 1st thought.

• havlicek likes this
John Stewart

#9 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:00 PM

#27, would be staying in the "unique" character of this build IMO!  Or, it could come with both!!  In regards to the green, Mura was my 1st thought.

I'm kinda leaning that way myself John.  With a .518" arm in the chamber, the performance will skew more towards revs than torque, and such an arm WILL spin fast!

John Havlicek

#10 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:49 PM

Okey dokey then.  I wound me up an arm for this bad boy...27/26...so shoot me.  :)  I "figgered" that a motor like this is a "go big or go home" situation, so I went big (wire that is!).  The force is strong with this one...or...this motor will kill!  :)

FT46Q Small.jpg

• slotbaker, NSwanberg, boxerdog and 3 others like this
John Havlicek

#11 old & gray

old & gray

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:24 PM

Is that 27 turns of 26 OR a 27/26 double wind?

• havlicek likes this
Bob Schlain

#12 bradblohm

bradblohm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

Hey, my lights just dimmed...  John, did you just power it up?  Seriously, work of art!

• havlicek likes this
Brad Blohm

#13 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:18 AM

Is that 27 turns of 26 OR a 27/26 double wind?

Hi Bob,

It's a #26 sgl.  27 Turns of #26awg, which is one turn more than I usually do 26/26.  Lately I've been adding the extra turn as I can get it on there without "shmooshing" the wire and still have a four layer coil.

Hey, my lights just dimmed...  John, did you just power it up?  Seriously, work of art!

:)  Thanks Brad.  Actually, #26 wire arms are a very cool option when the motor isn't stock.  Still being what I think of as "big wire", the #26 is sort of a chameleon wind generally speaking if you stick enough of it on there :)  In the right setup, it can be super fast and probably more likely to "finish the race" than a #25.  Guys who are careful about how they build a motor like Pablo, have used them in "similar" setups recreating early anglewinders with good results, and they're very fast...but a little "safer" than a #25.  

This motor was never intended to be "vintage" or even "vintage style" (TM Steve Okeefe), just what I think is a "better 16D", so I wasn't constrained as to end bell or magnets, and is certainly up to the task of being appropriate for a #26.  So, some nutty "Thingie", more modern anglewinder, drag car etc. are all potential homes for it.

• boxerdog, olescratch and Tom Katsanis like this
John Havlicek

#14 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

Got the arm back from grind/balance:

FT46Q small.jpg

I was eager to get the motor assembled and dove in:

FT46Q Motor 1 Small.jpg

Firing this bad boy up was a beautiful thing.  I love it when things go right, because they don't always.  VERY fast, smooth and powerful, but not "stoopit" fast and powerful.  A "76" in this setup seems like it's actually almost "reasonable"...almost.  :D

• Samiam, Eddie Fleming and Geary Carrier like this
John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop