Photo

Drag car ideal weight (If any care to share? :) )

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

I am currently laying out a new drag car.(4"in WB with a Lexan body) I have NEVER raced these before ,but I for sure intend to race this particular car. Most of the planning has been obvious.(wheelbase,width,motor bracket,ETC.. And thanks to those who helped with wheelie bar length questions. )

I am building this one out of total  brass (motor bracket,rails,ECT)  What would be an IDEAL total car weight of a completed car ready to run????? (I am SURE there is something to adding/removing for handling purposes?)

Do any rules out there dictate a minimum/maximum weight???

Michael J. Boruff

#2 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

• gotboostedvr6 and olescratch like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#3 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

^ that.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - Ronald Regan #40 (1911 - 2004)

David Parrotta

#4 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:04 AM

less is more....

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,966 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:28 AM

You know...the above sorts of "answers" are neither amusing, nor do they do anything towards helping the hobby in general.  If the question is serious, I try and imagine how I would like getting non-information.  I don't mean to come off as "too touchy" or lacking a sense of humor, just reacting as I would if I had asked the question.  Michael seems enthusiastic, why not encourage him and share info at the same time.  I mean, isn't that what hobbyists do?

• Dallas Racer, old & gray, Robert BG and 1 other like this
John Havlicek

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,966 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:03 PM

Since no one answered, I'll give it a shot, even though I'm not a racer.

*Pick a class, or even a style of dragster (*these are often similar to 1:1 dragsters).  Sometimes the local rules may specify a type motor, wind, magnets

*The class may very well dictate the type of chassis, if not, then what they allow is what counts

*After the type of motor, chassis and car are figured out...THEN comes the weight thing.  As with 1:1 dragsters, lighter means faster, except you need enough weight over the driven wheels for traction to "hookup" without just spinning your tires.  You don't want so much traction and power to just wheel stand down the track (*as entertaining as that can be).  In extreme examples, the car may jump the slot...also not good.  The body may help keep the car planted and some hard bodies may be heavy enough to help keep the car planted.  The length of the car may also help because longer cars tend to be less likely to jump or wheelstand.  You need to look at a bunch of cars for clues as to weight, motor and body type and GEARING.  Then again, you can just build what you like and fine tune it as you run/race it.

• mike1972chev likes this
John Havlicek

#7 Ron Guthrie

Ron Guthrie

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

The DRS site has a area that lists all the classes with motor and bearings or no bearings. I don't remember if it says anything about the car weight. The last time I looked there was some very interesting info.

#8 macman

macman

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:52 AM

Most people on this forum are not slot drag racers. There is no minimum weight, for bracket racing, only in class racing. At most tracks the majority of racing is bracket racing with no rules, aside from you have to have a body & 4 wheels. There may also be a rule as to what the maximum time may be, generally 3 seconds or less for 1/4 mile tracks. You will find that lexan is not the preferred choice for bodies… most people shoot for 120 grams for a hardbody bar car.

Ben Kernan
Formerly of SARN

Yes, I am a sarcastic, smart-azz, know-it-all old bastard of a genius. 
What is old is new again... Retro... Gotta love it !!!
"May all your inlines be Retro, my son."
The Englelman: a truly superior design.

Electric Dreams Online Shop