• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

My fellow Wing car racers, I have started a Facebook group titled "Wing Slot Cars" for those also on FB. Hopefully we can get some new interest generated. My intention is to help promote and have a place on FB to discuss Wing Cars. A group for How to's, race events and results, buy and sell. Everything Wing Slot Car related is welcome. It is "Wing Slot Cars" on FB. Thanks

David Whitesel         "Wing Slot Cars" on Facebook https://www.facebook...04107666339923/

#2 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:09 AM

Fuhgehtaboutit.... :big_boss: 

Facebook discussions are impossible to follow and become quagmires of verbal diarrhea. :hang3: 

Why come here to announce starting a discussion elsewhere ?  :umnik2: 

Start one HERE! :unknw: 

• Half Fast likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#3 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

Opinions on Facebook aside,the downside is the information is impossible to search.The format just doesnt leave the info in a way that others can and will find it later on down the line.

• Samiam likes this
Robert Fothergill

#4 DaveW

DaveW

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:00 PM

Sorry to ruffle any feathers, not my intention, like it or not FB is the latest medium where everyone goes to talk and share the latest up to date info and discussion about nearly everything these days. It is easy to use, both at home or on the go. I am simply trying to jump start a quickly dying form of slots, that I have enjoyed since the early 70's. It is very possible that Slotblog could benefit from any new interest there in slot car racing. Again everyone is welcome.

• Mark Proppe likes this

David Whitesel         "Wing Slot Cars" on Facebook https://www.facebook...04107666339923/

#5 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

Too many Russian bots and trolls.  :ph34r: 

Sorry, I'll pass. 

I can find anything I need right here. Easily. Try going back to 2008 for a discussion about Box-12 chassis & set-ups .....yeah, that's what I thought. 

Find me archived race results from the 2013 Worlds. 

Facebook might be popular but separating the wheat from the chaff is just too bothersome. 

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."

#6 Markomatic

Markomatic

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

FB is a great medium for attracting new people. That is why many businesses are there. Forums like this have their place but for someone on FB who is looking for a group dealing with a subject FB works. If a dad wants to take his son slot car racing these forums are not very helpful but they can find the tracks that are using social media as a promotional tool easier on FB.

Mark Miller

#7 DaveW

DaveW

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

Thank you Mark.

Sam you won't find any Russian bots, trolls or spammers on Wing Slot Cars, Not on my watch lol. I have Zero desire to control or power trip as I have far too many other things in life to deal with, But I do intend to keep the mood light, positive and helpful for everyone.

#8 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

I still think it's a little odd if not outright rude to come here to advertise a competing forum. Try walking into a popular restaurant and announce you are opening a new restaurant of the same style. You better do it close to the door. It's pretty tuff eating corn on the cobb with no freakin' teeth.

" group for How to's, race events and results, buy and sell."

​Sounds just like Slotblog.

If it were up to me I'd delete this thread in 2 sec. flat.

• nod11don likes this
Sam Levitch

#9 DaveW

DaveW

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:50 PM

I can delete this posting if it makes you feel better, I don't need any grief for simply trying to help something I enjoy that is struggling. This Forum can only stand to gain from my efforts.

​I made a post here after your reply (as a test) word for word as the one I posted on WSC's, and I EASLIY posted pictures as well, with minutes I had helpful responses along with PM's personal messages (with pictures) helping in great detail. 

I am curious Sam. What have you done today (last week, month) to help promote this Hobby? 

And for the record, I originally heard about this forum on Facebook.

#10 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

Good luck.....

Sam Levitch

#11 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:26 PM

Dave, keep your posts here. In my opinion, they are not out of line. You could also post on OWH too. They are more friendly towards wing car racing.

Sam, "thingies" are talked about on here. There are also dedicated "thingie" pages on FB, when you can find them. Do we throw off "thingies" too? I don't think so. If FB ever gets a search engine, watch how many web sites disappear, unless they start charging for usage. I haven't run competitive wing cars since 1981, but if I had a local track that did, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I might even rebuild some of my "retro" wing cars in the meantime.

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

#12 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:38 PM

Imagine I have a Facebook page for my business. A competing business comes over and posts that he just opened up down the road. How many milliseconds do you think that post stays up?????

This site costs money to maintain. Some of which comes from visitors logging on. It ain't rocket science boys. 

Sam Levitch

#13 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

For the record, Sam has done a lot to promote slot car racing: helping newcomers at his local raceway, helping out at the raceway and handing out fliers for them, all done gratis. He also helps others with parts here.

I suggest to newcomer Dave W to refrain from throwing stones at someone you don't know.

Cheers

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#14 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:54 PM

Thanks Bill.

I'll get that sawbuck to 'ya when I see you at PJ.  :) 

Sam Levitch

#15 DaveW

DaveW

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:27 PM

First thank you Sam for the good wishes and your promotion. Also thank you Bill F for the support. 

Now for your question Sam.... I did post the first day on a "competing" (as you call it) Facebook group page, I did not and I have not received one single negative comment or post...

Half fast thank you for your comment, however I in no way was "throwing stones", I simply asked a polite question.

#16 NJ Racer

NJ Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:53 PM

I don't see an issue with David's post. If the  "Headmaster of the asylum"  has a concern he typically will communicate privately with the member.

• Jason Holmes likes this
"Ya gotta be in it to win it"

Ray Carlisi

#17 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

Much ado about nothing. If Cheater has a problem he handles it quickly. Unlike his driving. :)
  • Cheater and Jason Holmes like this
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#18 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,591 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:40 PM

Much ado about nothing. If Cheater has a problem he handles it quickly. Unlike his driving. :)

Agreed.

Opinions on Facebook aside,the downside is the information is impossible to search.The format just doesnt leave the info in a way that others can and will find it later on down the line.

Agreed 110%.

For race results more than a week old, or just about any other kind of info, it's bordering on useless.

IOW, absorb the info quickly, and thoroughly.

Good luck finding it later.

Basically, Facebook, is a one night stand.

• Robert BG likes this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#19 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

Basically, Facebook, is a one night stand.

And a cheap date at that. 

Sam Levitch

Electric Dreams Online Shop