• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:02 AM

Back in the day a race was never over until it was over. How many times did you see or hear of the driver that was running away with the race but the engine blew up or something else gave out. That was because everything was stressed to its limits. Now it is pretty much unheard of for the engine to blow or the car to fail. It does happen but it is so rare it is not even a regular part of racing.

I miss that uncertainty.

Eddie Fleming

#2 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,271 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

Now a days with restricter plate racing they don't blow the engine they just knock the whole engine out in a huge crash because all the cars are bunched together.

The uncertainty is still there.

• tonyp likes this
Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid.

NF-UE

#3 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:15 AM

Now a days with restricter plate racing they don't blow the engine they just knock the whole engine out in a huge crash because all the cars are bunched together.

The uncertainty is still there.

Pappy 

Even if I agreed that the one uncertainty was a replacement for the other, that only covers the 4 NASCAR plate races in a year. I think the same problem exist in virtually all of big time motor racing.

Eddie Fleming

#4 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,271 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

How many times have guys blown a tire and went into the wall, run out of gas, got taken out by another car, went to fast on pit row, pit crew screwed up. Lots of things can still happen even if an engine doesn't blow up. Remember the Indy 500 a few years back when the guy had about a half lap lead on the second place car on the last lap of the race and ran into a car that was going real slow in turn four.

The uncertainty is still there, it's not over till it's over.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid.

NF-UE

#5 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

I am glad you are happy Pappy.

Eddie Fleming

#6 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

I don't miss the long delays when someone oils down a track from a blown engine.

Cheers

• Samiam likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#7 old & gray

old & gray

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

Blame the sponsors. They brought in the money that made testing and planning possible. No more five guys living in a garage trying to keep a couple of cars running week to week.

Why were the sponsors insisting on changes? Because the carnage was driving people away. Think back to the sixties and early seventies when the fatality rate in F1 was about one driver every two months. We were sitting around the table at college and I pulled out a three year old magazine with the results from Watkins Glen, two thirds of the drivers were dead, injured beyond participation, or retired. How do you build a fan base on that? People identify with personalities not with machines, at least that’s how the old NASCAR worked.

Bob Schlain

#8 Bob Appelle

Bob Appelle

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:41 PM

They said the Premium seats  were sold out, not the infield or seating in the infield. How many seats have the removed in the last ten years, I think the number at Michigan is near 20k. They don't want the TV viewers to see empty seats. That was the joke that a lot of fans were dressed as empty seats. The fans got tired of being ripped off. Ticket prices, parking, hotels doubling rates and making you take at least three nights. They were getting 75.00 for parking at the speedway for the Daytona 200 bike race 10 years ago. I turned around and parked across the street for 20.00

• Half Fast likes this
Hemi Bob

Electric Dreams Online Shop