Photo

Why don't Retro racers use true Retro chassis?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic

#76 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,904 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:51 PM

Good one, Jim.

ret·ro1
/ˈretrō/
adjective
adjective: retro

Imitative of a style, fashion, or design from the recent past, "retro 60s fashions."

Sounds like a pretty accurate description to me. Especially because it uses the word "imitative" vs. "duplicative."

• Cheater, slotbaker, tonyp and 1 other like this

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#77 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 10,034 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:31 AM

Not Merriam-Websters definition, but your's is okay. I really don't mind what you call it. Numerous synonyms for vintage & retro exist.

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#78 old & gray

old & gray

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:46 AM

Vintage Mini Cooper –

• Steering wheel with the seating position of a bus,
  • Oil changes every 2000 miles (engine and transmission use same oil),
  • 10 inch wheels (stiff ride but inexpensive),
  • Side mounted radiator with “special” air flow,
  • Can be parked in the space of a bicycle shed,

Retro BWW Mini –

• Modern sport sedan,
  • Has the footprint of a bicycle shed

The difference between a daily driver and a weekend car.

Bob Schlain

#79 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,780 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:28 AM

I said the exact same thing almost ten years ago, but it's pretty darn hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube, you know.

Heck, I tried to encourage several groups to stop using the D3 designation. That term originally meant USRA Division 3, a link-up that was firmly refused by the West Coast racers to whom it was proposed. But no... I was informed it was too firmly entrenched to change.

Entreching is a problem in so many areas of our little hobby. Naming or labeling is just one of them.

• Cheater likes this
Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#80 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:53 AM

The cars are Retro--

The drivers are mostly Vintage :)

Cheers

• DE38, Phil Hackett, tonyp and 7 others like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#81 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:34 PM

According to the Urban Dictionary "Vintro" is a thing, who knew?!

"A simple combination of vintage and retro. Can be used as a verb or adjective."

Steampunk is a thing too, but definitely too vintro for slot cars...perhaps "Electropunk Vintro Racing" would be more apropos, and more attractive to those who think the map is the territory and spend most of their time on their iPhones. :D 

• Tex and tonyp like this

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#82 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:33 PM

In the NorCal area would that be Jim Fowler! When he isn't finishing on the podium (and running races, previewing setups, and writing race reports).

Bob.....thanks for the props. For sure, I prefer building from total scratch minus the bracket and guide tongue. That's what I like to do. Still......kits are generally a good thing and I do occasionally use them for experimental stuff. It's just a time saver.

Here's an example........................

This is a clone of a GVP design that he facilitated through R-Geo. I work with R-Geo quite a bit and I also trust GVP and his design capabilities so I wanted to try this configuration. But!!......I didn't have the exact components on hand. So...........as a time saver, I used a nosepiece from JK and pans and pan hangers from R-Geo and built this attempted clone of of something that GVP posted upon recently. I haven't run it yet so I don't know for sure where I'll be going with it. But!............if it's good (and I suspect it will be) than I'll eventually do a full scratch version.

1-DSC03078.JPG

• Greg VanPeenen likes this
Jim Fowler

#83 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:40 PM

Jim,

Nice job. But now Bartos will be copying your clone. LOL.

Regards,

GVP
  • JimF likes this

#84 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,904 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:45 PM

GVP,

Bud is never on Slotblog, AFAIR, so I will defend him.

What design of yours has he copied before?

I don't really remember seeing a copy of your tuning fork, by him.

His bread and butter stuff, of late, are various X25R's, and the old JK pan based car, which is pretty unique.

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#85 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:04 PM

I intend no diss to either Bud nor to Mr Swiss here. But...............GVP has been an innovator while Bud has not. Yes, of course Bud has more winning chassis than most but most are either the same thing or variations thereof. That's not a bad thing b/c clearly a well tuned basic design is about as good as anything else. Still...............for those of us that follow this hobby for the innovative challenge, I'd say that Greg has done way more in the way of innovation than Bud has.

JMOAYMMV

Jim Fowler

#86 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,904 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:20 PM

Sorry Jim, but you haven't been following what's winning.

Along with being prolific, he's had unique designs.

Here's one;
post-339-0-46553100-1507896210.jpg

Mike Swiss

#87 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:30 PM

I understand that Bartos has had unprecedented success in many major races. That's not even a question and huge kudos to him. However, if I had to think of something that that caused me personally to think..."hey, wade-a-minute" what's going on here, I'd say there have been more of those moments due to GVP than Bartos.
Jim Fowler

#88 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,904 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:39 PM

Yes, Jim.

Bud has been cleaning up in the winners circle the last 4 years or so.

And my point, which your post didn't address, is that he is not achieving that success with chassis designs of Greg's.

He's mostly using various JK kits that Chuck Gambo and myself have designed, over the last 10 years, for Jerry Kulich, when he owned JK, using rails of various thickness, and putting them in various places, and with his superb building, winning a ton of races.

Maybe I've missed them, but I don't see any of these winning chassis being forked, AKA Greg's trademark.

Mike Swiss

#89 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:50 PM

Not disagreeing with you one bit. Bud's rate of success has been fabulous. It really makes the point that a well tuned rather basic designs is as good as anything. However, I'm a hobbyist. If I think that maybe an innovative design can offer an advantage, (either mine or someone else's) I want to try it. GVP has not followed the herd. He has built some stuff that is truly different. Whether it's dramatically better can't be proved one way or t'other. To those for whom this is a hobby rather than a business, testing newer things out is very much an important part of the game.
Jim Fowler

#90 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,904 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:05 PM

Jim,
For a some reason,Greg took a swipe at Bartos, as a copycat, and I contended that Bud hasn't been copying any of Greg's work, and asked for an example if I missed that he did.

You answered a question that wasn't asked.

I didn't ask "Who inspires Jim Fowler more?"

Mike Swiss

#91 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:46 PM

Swiss,

This is direct from me. You can delete it as I am sure you will because you are a small minded S.O.B.

You make some good parts. Like your LCG Guides and plated wire.

But on this matter you can go F yourself. I built the very first cut down JK X25 I called it the Raptor chassis and sent it to Matt Bruce. That was before I built the Tuning fork chassis that were killer in one of your Sano races.  It was not a T-Fork chassis and has been copied by everyone! I really don't care what you think on the matter as I know the facts.

I know you think you know everything but that is just a flaw in your character, and God knows you are a character, Captain Caliper.  

You need to check your history Mike. Bartos builds hundreds maybe even thousands of chassis. (wonder if the IRS knows how many. LOL) I build very few compared to him.

But like in the last few R4's. When Bartos chassis get beat they get beat by GVP Chassis. But now more often a CHR or Crutchfield Chassis. Even when there are many of his and only a very few of mine, Caps, and Ricks. 

You Sir need to learn how to tell rub from a swipe. LMFAO

Regards, Captain Caliper,

Mr. Gregory VanPeenen

R-GEO Products

GVP Chassis Development.

VanPeenen Racing Engines.

Multi time NHRA Nat. Record holder. (Yes Mike that's real Race Cars not toys).

#92 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,904 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:04 AM

You can call me all the names you want, but the facts are;

A-you took this thread, and used it as an opportunity to take a swipe at Bud for zero reason.

B-as I stated, where he has been dominating the podium, he has not been copying your chassis, like you implied.

C-with all that success, unless I'm somehow missing it, on the numerous FB pages, I don't see him thumping his chest.

D-when you make a comment like you did , in post #83, you just look like you're envious of him.

E-notice how I did that without calling you names. You call people names when you don't have an argument.

Mike Swiss

#93 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:29 AM

Jim,
For a some reason,Greg took a swipe at Bartos, as a copycat, and I contended that Bud hasn't been copying any of Greg's work, and asked for an example if I missed that he did.

You answered a question that wasn't asked.

I didn't ask "Who inspires Jim Fowler more?"

OK.....that's fair enough.  My post was originally intended to point out that while my own preferences are largely toward full scratch constructions, I don't hesitate to use "kit" components for experimental purposes. My old friend, Bob from my days in the NECCS had pointed this out.

The Bartos vs. GVP (if there is such a thing) is not something that I consider to be worthy of much debate.

• MSwiss and NSwanberg like this
Jim Fowler

Electric Dreams Online Shop