Photo

FSCS - Can we shorten Defender front arms?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Brinkley47

Brinkley47

A winner is a loser who gave it one more try

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

Deburr the chassis before you race it.. figured this was a common sense part of building a chassis.

it took me a little while to learn that tip. Definitely makes a difference in speed and easier on the track.
  • gmpower likes this
Will Brinkley
willbrinkley@gmail.com

#27 dalek

dalek

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:09 AM

The wide 83 mm stance feature of the Defender chassis is not the only thing it has going for it.  The Defender is lighter than the Striker and appears to be more flexible.

A lot of people own Defender chassis so if it is ever decided that the Defender arms are causing too much damage to hands and tracks, I suppose that rather than banning the chassis, it could be required that each arm be shortened at least 3 mm.  The resulting overall arm width would be 87 mm (the Striker is 86 mm).

Edited typo:  The resulting overall arm width would be 77 mm (the Striker is 76 mm).

Dale King

Home Raceway

#28 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:12 AM

I don't own a Defender but from looking at the pictures, it's main offending characteristic is the small cross section of the leading edge. My Mossetti Striker has  more conventional ears/arms besides being only 3.013" wide. The Defender looks more like many Eurosport chassis in this area. The ES examples(10yr old) I measured are around 3.220-240".

The simple physics is an amount of force on a smaller area will generate higher PSI. Creating more damage to both tracks and in some cases, hands.

Rounding off all leading edges is a no brainer. Should be standard procedure on ALL chassis of all types.    

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#29 Racer36

Racer36

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

I poked my finger yesterday with a body harpoon and I bled for almost 3 minutes. I think an emergency ruling is required to ban all body harpoons. This could be a life or death issue!

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#30 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:21 PM

Dennis, you don't run with scissors, do you? :blum: 

• Racer36 likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#31 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:35 PM

I poked my finger yesterday with a body harpoon and I bled for almost 3 minutes. I think an emergency ruling is required to ban all body harpoons. This could be a life or death issue!

Obviously an absurd comparison.

You injured yourself from carelessness.

Not the same as Doc getting injured from a dangerous design.

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#32 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

The wide 83 mm stance feature of the Defender chassis is not the only thing it has going for it.  The Defender is lighter than the Striker and appears to be more flexible.

A lot of people own Defender chassis so if it is ever decided that the Defender arms are causing too much damage to hands and tracks, I suppose that rather than banning the chassis, it could be required that each arm be shortened at least 3 mm.  The resulting overall arm width would be 87 mm (the Striker is 86 mm).

Pretty sure you have a typo .... If you're taking 3mm off of each side, the chassis would shrink to 77mm.   Better a typo here than when writing a check.

I agree that the Defender has a LOT of things going for it.  If I had the racing budget to replace my aging fleet of X25's, I'd reload with Defenders.

However, I still think allowing the removal of chassis material is opening things up to additional headaches. For example, if it's okay to narrow the Defender, would it be okay to plane the pig-of-a-chassis known as the C43 down to a more useable weight?

Rollin Isbell

#33 Racer36

Racer36

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

My post is deliberately absurd. It lines up with the bulk of the posts in this thread. It’s not my intent to minimize Doc’s injury, in fact one of my locals got a similar one recently from a JK C21 4.5. Nether he nor I have lobbied our legislature for a ban on JK chassis.
My point is that the OP seems either unwilling or unable to put a notch in the body to clear a legal chassis component. I have watched a bunch of bandwagon jumpers, some with an obvious disdain for anything Mossetti, try to turn this into a lynch mob looking for an outright ban on a legal product.
It is ridiculous.
If we are truly concerned about personal injury from marshalling then we all better find a new hobby. Slot cars by design are chunks of metal hurtling around at high speed. Injury is inevitable.
I respect the OP has a First Amendment right to post what he did. Some of the rest of the garbage posted in this thread does not deserve the same respect.

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#34 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:33 PM

Sorry, but it doesn't fit inside the current , competitive bodies, it's a poor and dangerous design.

I just measured one.

In the bag, anyway, the front ears are wider than the pans.

What's next?

If someone comes out with a chassis with real wide pans, allow the body to be clipped inside the tabs, because after all, it's an awesome working chassis?
LOL

20180225_133305-1.jpg

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#35 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

MR-2006__10683.1490299812.1280.1280.jpg?

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#36 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

As Cheater regularly complains we've never gotten anywhere because there are no standardized rules.

Darn Canadians make something legal in Europe but illegal here...then racers here run it here because for some reason it's being sold here even though it's generally illegal.

Then because they've "invested" their hard earned money in another toy, they clamor for it to be made legal.

Chop the illegal part off and be done with it.

• MSwiss, Wizard Of Iz and Samiam like this

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#37 dalek

dalek

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:08 PM

Pretty sure you have a typo .... If you're taking 3mm off of each side, the chassis would shrink to 77mm.   Better a typo here than when writing a check.

I agree that the Defender has a LOT of things going for it.  If I had the racing budget to replace my aging fleet of X25's, I'd reload with Defenders.

However, I still think allowing the removal of chassis material is opening things up to additional headaches. For example, if it's okay to narrow the Defender, would it be okay to plane the pig-of-a-chassis known as the C43 down to a more useable weight?

Yes -- typos (senior moment).

Regarding upgrading a stable to Defenders -- maybe just one would be a big step.  In the last FSCS race, I used the same Defender center section to run all 3 classes.

For NASCAR I ran 1-piece heavy steel pans.
For LMP I changed to 1-piece light steel pans.
For GTP I swapped the HR for an H7 and stayed with the 1-piece light steel pans.

I have aluminum pans but doubt I will ever race them.  They're 6 grams lighter than the light steel but that 6 grams is low weight.  Aluminum pans will more likely get bent in a crash plus, since using them removes low weight, the car's center of gravity will be higher.

Just my .02.

Dale King

Home Raceway

Electric Dreams Online Shop