Photo

Building motors is stupid (just kidding)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

<<<<<SARCASM ON>>>>>

What's wrong with all you guys building motors?

It's a waste of time and money. Multiple set-ups, different magnets, timing, air gaps... with an infinite number of combinations. Buying piles of $40 arms to find the magic bullet. Then all the hours of testing. What a giant waste of time. You guys don't have a clue.

You should all run sealed motors. Or just keep drinking the Kool-Aid. 

<<<<<SARCASM OFF>>>>>

(SEE POSTS #4,15, 24, 32, 46 & 50) 

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,921 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:12 PM

Geez, Sam, why don't you tell everyone exactly how you feel? LOL...

Talk about throwing chit in the fan.

This one may not stay long.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Taylor Davis

Taylor Davis

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:15 PM

This is the most ignorant thing I have ever seen. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it stupid. I enjoy building motors from time to time, but I also like Retro racing.

Bashing the hobby does not make it more enjoyable. If you don't like it, then don't do it, but please don't discourage other people from trying something new.

#4 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:17 PM

Oh... I forgot something.

"Sarcasm alert" 

Just pointing out how ridiculous are all these pointless posts about how much better racing would be if everybody used built motors.  

If you don't like racing sealed motors... don't do it!!!

But for cryin' out loud, stop moaning, bitching, crying and carrying on about how we should be racing.

You do you and we'll do us.   

BTW... nothing I said about built motors hasn't been said about sealed motor racing. Repeatedly. 

• Pappy, Horsepower, Phil Hackett and 6 others like this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."

#5 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:35 PM

Greg,

Maybe you should move this to "The Hate Tank"?

Sam Levitch

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,921 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

You can call it what you want, Sam.

I call it the trash can. Not really planning to store hate here... no point to it.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#7 CDavis7

CDavis7

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

Samiam-

I currently show up at most Retro races with 1.5 dozen sealed motors, bench tested and ready for track testing.

Guess how many built D-can motors Id have tested and ready for a flexi race back a few years ago?

Yup, at least a dozen. Not to mention the setups and additional arms back at home or sent out for rebalancing.

While I do miss motor building, a single Retro motor is only slightly more costly than a single reconditioned arm. And we all know that serious racers chased the magic arm, the magic setup, and the magic magnets then, too.

So my point is that, sealed or built, I'm still chasing that magic motor. But I'm spending less on sealed motors overall.

And either way, Im showing up to race, have fun, and spend good times with friends.
  • Cheater, Noose, tonyp and 5 others like this
Chris Davis
3d-Racing

#8 Shooter7mustang

Shooter7mustang

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:01 PM

I just wanna race.

Kevin Myhaver

Bad Dog Racing

Retro Racing

"Till the wheels fall off"

Romans 1:16 "... for I am not ashamed of the Gospel"

#9 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,080 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:27 PM

Building motors is fun for some of us! :laugh2:

• Foamy, Jason Holmes and Jesse Gonzales like this

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

#10 Ron Guthrie

Ron Guthrie

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:09 PM

I'm restoring a Ogilvie 155 ft Hillclimb and 55 ft drag drag strip, hoping to open in Barrie, Ontario, Canada this summer.

I'm not going force anybody to buy a sealed motor. if they want to rebuild I'll even help them without negative comments.

If you can't say good things about the hobby then keep your comments to yourself.

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,921 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:10 PM

I used to love building motors, too. But I got over it.

Still, if someone wants to build motors, that's fine. Please don't suggest that building motors is what most people want to do these days nor that series that use sealed motors have to change to suit your preferences.

• tonyp, JimF and Samiam like this

Gregory Wells

#12 CDavis7

CDavis7

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:26 PM

Sam, despite your direct and overt clarification of sarcasm, it has been lost.

May the youth please rapidly take over and save us from the incompetent status quo.
  • Samiam and olescratch like this
Chris Davis
3d-Racing

#13 Jaeger Team

Jaeger Team

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:32 PM

Building motors, like to make marmalade, it is a category of the mind and a tendency to immortality.

Maurizio Salerno

#14 Champion 507

Champion 507

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:20 AM

Um, I have some physical issues that prevent me from working at a job. I am on Social Security only. I have no 401k, no pension, no retirement. Luckily the wife still works. I rebuild motors and try to sell them on eBay to bring in some much-needed income. It isn't much, but it beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Me, race? No. The closest tracks are 110 to 130 miles away. No time or money to race any more. It's been four or five years since I last raced. 

You know what? I still enjoy building motors. Been doing it off and on for over 50 years! Hope to keep doing it for as long as I can.

• Cheater, proptop, Maximo and 9 others like this
Doug Azary
"We offer prompt service... no matter how long it takes!"
"We're not happy unless you're not happy"
"You want it when?"

#15 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:52 AM

Sam, despite your direct and overt clarification of sarcasm, it has been lost.

May the youth please rapidly take over and save us from the incompetent status quo.

Yeah, I should also have clarified "racing built motors." But I was making a point. About how it sounds when the rhetoric is turned 180.

I am just tired of people who seem to think that the sealed motors being used in so much racing are not working. F-class Wing racing, Retro, numerous flexi classes. All using sealed motors. And doing well. Look at the entries for Retro East races. So there are some discussions here about motor issues. Big deal! The racing goes on. 

I build motors for other classes of racing and just for fun. I have been doing it since my first motor let the smoke out 50 years ago. I enjoy it. 

I'm just showing how ridiculous it sounds when the shoe is on the other foot. Ridicule and demean building motors and it sounds awful, right? Well, the same can be said when it is done to sealed motor racing. Everything I said here about built motors has been said about sealed motors. Over and over and over again. It's getting old.
  • Horsepower, Half Fast, Tim Neja and 3 others like this
Sam Levitch

#16 DocSlotCar

DocSlotCar

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:00 AM

The average slot car hobbyist of today does not want to build anything. It is just like the video game crowd who likes slot car racing on a game console. Reset the game and play again.

The older slot car racer and hobbyist used to like to build stuff from the ground up. That included the chassis and the motor. Tune it up at the track.

Nowadays, the average slot car racer comes to the track, hooks up his controller and  puts this car on the track. Then for about and hour or so if there is not racing, goes home.

Puts his car and controller in the box and drives off.  

We, as the "older crowd" of young kids, used to spend hours at the track. Testing, driving, tuning, adjusting with BS by the barrel and having fun.

The motor builder and chassis builder is one part of the equation these days. Unfortunately that is dying off for many who appreciate that part of the hobby.

The new wave of slot car racer wants it set up, ready to race, fixed by the shop or another racer.  It is the video game reset crowd now...

That's life....  

All you can do is enjoy the hobby...  :)

• Horsepower likes this
Chris DaBoer

"Stop whining, Slot Car racing is only big boys racing toys"

#17 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,966 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

I got the sarcasm Sam, but I think where we're at is:

- There are/is plenty of "regular" races where people can open and build motors, so it's not really an issue...although these are usually more costly by nature.
- There are also occasional events where opening up motors isn't an issue, some are even close to the old "run what you brung" 1960s thing.
- There are also a good number of folks who run "vintage" events where there are limits, but more period-based than anything else.

- Last, there's a good number of people who just like to casually run whatever they have in their box.

So, and as always, there's plenty of room for whatever floats your boat, and it's all good for the hobby.

• Tim Neja and Samiam like this
John Havlicek

#18 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,966 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:07 AM

I think you're off base, Chris.

The average slot car hobbyist of today does not want to build anything.

Huh? I think the continued popularity of "Retro" pretty well disproves that without even trying too hard.

The motor builder and chassis builder is one part of the equation these days. Unfortunately that is dying off for many who appreciate that part of the hobby.

That sure isn't true of chassis building, or even body painting. Then again, even "motor building" is certainly alive for the more expensive classes of racing. There is more to slots than *just* Retro, but Retro alone is a biggie (maybe even the biggie).

Maybe you're just overstating for emphasis, but if what you say is true, then most would just be running/racing RTRs.

• Tim Neja likes this
John Havlicek

#19 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,401 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:31 AM

Long live Doug Azary and John Havlicek, their motors rock.

Their works are part science, part "magic touch," part experience, part perspiration.

I watched Cheater set and glue the mags in a race motor in the pits once.

It was awesome! If he was a doctor I'd let him do surgery on me.

When you buy a bunch of motor parts and slam 'em together, sure, some will be turds.

If you build them with extreme care they will scream. Same as chassis.

Sam, here's something vintage that will get you through the day. Handbuilt and assembled by the Creator. No seals. No cherrypicking. No dyno testing.

I give you Jungle Pam

240px-Jpam.jpg

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee :dance3:

• Tim Neja, Bob Chaney, garyvmachines and 4 others like this
Paul Wolcott

#20 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:40 AM

What cracks me up about stuff like this is the often distorted view of the past that is seen by those who lived it.

After decades of races and umpteen racers I can categorically state that the vast majority of participants never saw the inside of a motor.

Buy it, run it 'til croaks, toss it, and replace it with another has always been the most popular behavior.

The motor aficionados always used to participate in the motor rebuilding programs, but as the manufacturers started providing quality built motors to the non-building consumer, the ability of the builder to dominate waned.

Nowadays, the affordable fast sealed motor has taken over and it allows the majority of racers to be competitive without having to spend time and/or money to learn motor rocket science.

Motor building is and always has been fun for some, but it's never been the favorite pastime of the majority.

And... that, for instance, is why we have Jiffy Lube and fast food drive-thrus.  :D 

• Cheater, Pappy, Horsepower and 7 others like this

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#21 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,080 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

I wouldn't trust Jiffy Lube with my vehicles, so I've never been to one.

But I do equate sealed motors to fast food restaurants. If you want to eat at Mickey D's and Burger King, go ahead, I'll let you.  :laugh2:

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

#22 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

I say do what makes you happy and keep your mouth shut otherwise.The constant bickering does nobody any good IMHO.

Having said that I have less in my 27L motors then several guys I know spend a couple of times per year on sealed motors.

Also funny enough my HP isn't the problem keeping me from the leaderboard. Last race I was at a top racer ran two of my set-ups in his car and they were .03-.10 off of his time that was second fastest qualifier. So as I figured I've got issues elsewhere but I prefer to build everything myself. For me the satisfaction comes from performing well with something I built from the ground up vs. buying a roller and motor ready to race. I've done it both ways and I much prefer taking fifth to seventh with something I built over a podium using someone else's build. ;-)

Seriously, it's about running your own race and doing what makes you happy and nothing else. If you can't be happy doing as much maybe you need to find another hobby.

• old & gray and Greg Erskine like this
Robert Fothergill

#23 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 13,271 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

I watched Cheater set and glue the mags in a race motor in the pits once.
It was awesome! If he was a doctor I'd let him do surgery on me.

Pablo, he'd do it the same way, he'd glue your parts back together.  :shok:  :crazy:  :laugh2:

• Horsepower likes this
Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid.

NF-UE

#24 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,626 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

Sam,

While it spoils the sarcasm, you need to place this before a post like the #1 post: <<<SARCASM ON>>>.  This gives a clue to the clueless that the words about to be read aren't literal and have an alternative meaning from the obvious.

Then end it with <<<SARCASM OFF>>>.  Likewise this label tells the same clueless group that the words afterwards are plain ol' words with direct meaning.

• JimF and Samiam like this
Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#25 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

Years ago I'd glue mags back in without taking the motor apart. I even managed to do it between heats to finish a race.

I'd clean as much out, add some tape to the arm for air gap, mix a little J-B Kwik or Weld and roll the mag in place. I'd then heat it with a torch or iron until the last second and then add CA glue topped with baking soda around the edges in a few layers. When time was up I'd blast it clean with air and pray LOL.

I dont know if the J-B helped or the CA glue held but it got me through a couple of tight spots to finish.

Robert Fothergill

Electric Dreams Online Shop