Photo

Building motors is stupid (just kidding)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:09 PM

I hope by now everybody gets my intent from all the alerts and explanations. Some added a bit later. :unknw:  Hints are in the title and posts #4, #15, #32 and #46.

I like building motors. I like racing them. I like racing sealed motors. I don't like them but I like racing them.  

I don't like people telling me what to like. :aggressive:

Then why didn't you focus your wrath at those who specifically rag on sealed motors, instead of a generalized attack on a broad subject that has chapped many here?

Seems as though you just wanted to stir and rile up everyone with your phoney sarcasm and I'm (not) kidding comments!

This whole forum has become a huge and continuous bitch session and I can see why so many have fled over to Facebook.

I like to build my own motors and also have some built for me but I don't race at all!

maXimo
  • Bob Kurkowski and olescratch like this
David Ray Siller
Thingies are my thingie!

#52 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

David,

You missed it. 

The sarcasm is real. And I am kidding.

Go back and read post #4 and 15 and 24 and 32 and 46 and finally 50.   

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#53 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,915 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:09 AM

This whole forum has become a huge and continuous bitch session and I can see why so many have fled over to Facebook.

Yes, of course, Facebook is sooo much more civil and adult than Slotbog. Not!

Cellphones are the primary reason for Facebook's growth, David, in case you don't know. That and the fact that so many people today have an attention span less than the length of the average TV commercial.
  • tonyp, Half Fast, Samiam and 1 other like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#54 Bob Chaney

Bob Chaney

Slot Car Hobbyist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

Gave this a moment of thought and realize that I don't have time for commercials anymore... sheesh, what is the world coming to?

Ô¿Ô bob chaney :: slot car hobbyist

.. how's it going? too early to tell, too late to do anything about it :: Q>
.. it will always be easier to create penalties for violation, than reason for conscience

.. one thing's for certain, nothing's for sure .. everything is possible, nothing is likely
.. (early advice from HT) .. don't just write there, say something!
.. if it wasn't this, it would just be something else .. no good deed goes unpunished
.. we are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us .. damn bukowski

#55 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,915 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

On the subject of TV commercials, the next time you're watching TV and it breaks for commercials, try counting how many commercials occurs during the break. On most broadcast channels, it'll be no fewer than seven (usually six 30-sec spots and one 15-second one) and frequently as many as ten.

Drives me more bonkers than I already am...
  • NSwanberg and elvis44102 like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#56 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,397 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

Actually, I like building motors. Yeah, got the scarca-sam, but for me it's a bit like watch repair with quiet music in the background.

Quite relaxing.

• Phil Hackett, boxerdog, Samiam and 1 other like this

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#57 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,626 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:48 PM

On the subject of TV commercials, the next time you're watching TV and it breaks for commercials, try counting how many commercials occurs during the break. On most broadcast channels, it'll be no fewer than seven (usually six 30-sec spots and one 15-second one) and frequently as many as ten.

On some LA radio morning-time shows I can drive to work (about 15-20 minutes average) without once hearing the on-air talent. There'll be the news (about 60 seconds), the daily "how-screwed-are-the-freeways-this-morning?" segment (about three-four minutes), and the rest ads.

If I were an advertiser thrown into the middle of a 20-minute run I'd either be getting that airtime cheap or demanding better ad placement. I don't see the value to being in a sea of ads where your message doesn't stand out...

In the "old" days of cable TV I noticed Turner would play recent movies and for the first 45 minutes, no ads... then they'd start cutting in more and more... until the last 30 minutes were unwatchable because of the 20 minutes of ads played during the last 10 minutes of the movie...

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#58 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,397 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

Boiling the frog slowly theory.

• NSwanberg likes this

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#59 David Rees

David Rees

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:17 PM

How many throw-away motors that only last three races, if that, have you purchased?

I rest my case.

#60 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,915 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:55 PM

David,

We've been down this path so many times over the last few years...

Somewhere you posted along the lines of, "I prefer built motors," which is fine. 

But what should the rulesmakers do: what you personally want them to do or what the majority of racers want them to do?

I've said numerous times that, as the guy running this forum, I can't please all 7,000+ members, can't observe and acknowledge their individual preferences. No one could. All I can do is the best job I know how to do, while listening and considering the opinions that are thrown in my direction. Ultimately I do what I think is the right thing for Slotblog and for the hobby and the chips will fall where they fall. And I am OK with that.

That's basically the same situation that exists for the guys who write and maintain the Retro racing rules, IRRA® and otherwise. They steer their 'ship' in what they honestly believe is the best direction.

If you feel your desired path or direction is superior to what's currently on the table, feel free to put on your Pied Piper uniform, grab your flute, and see how many followers decide to queue up behind to proceeed along with you to the 'better place' you invision.

• SlowBeas, tonyp and kvanpelt like this

Gregory Wells

#61 Taylor Davis

Taylor Davis

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

I'm with Greg on this, although I prefer to build motors, too; the majority rules. I still race and enjoy Retro.

No set of rules is perfect. All the BoD can do is please the majority to the best of their knowledge and abilities.
  • Cheater, SlowBeas and NSwanberg like this

Electric Dreams Online Shop