• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,614 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

This terribly sad information was posted to Facebook yesterday by Jimmy Williams, son of HVR trackowner Jim Williams:

"It's a sad sight to see this place go. I've been here more than half of my life expressing my love of slot cars. HVR has made me the racer I am today, looking up to local legends like Ray Duran and Mike Katz and putting on over half a million laps (sounds like a lot but is accurate) across all five tracks we've had. Across those half million laps I've become one of the best racers out there, being able to compete with the most daunting and surpassing my "mentors" along the way. A lot of memories were had across both locations. I remember crying when I got my first ever podium putting me on the list when I was 13. I remember my first win, my first TQ, my first sweep, even my first A Main.

I owe all this to my dad though; without him opening up the store when I barely knew what a slot car was, I wouldn't be involved in this hobby. He is in my opinion the best mechanic out there and (when he's taking it seriously) can set up a car faster than anyone can ever imagine. He's been here countless hours after closing and after midnight wrenching on my cars to get them perfect for a race.

I want to thank everyone for supporting Hudson Valley Raceway across the years because HVR will still be here through us and our locals. We will still be going to races, especially me now because I don't have to watch the store on weekends now so there is a positive to all of this. So lookout Retro East next year.

Hopefully I'll see most of you at the R4 if I can make it this year; it is my third favorite track (behind both of HVRs current tracks) because it rewards consistency more than speed."

• MSwiss, Half Fast, Steve Deiters and 5 others like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

Sad. Very, very sad. The Williams family are a class act. I certainly hope to see you at the R4.
  • Jesse Gonzales likes this

Mike McMasters
460 Wilson Rd
Columbus, OH 43204
(614) 274-5150
Home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

#3 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:24 PM

RIP, HVR... gonna miss that place. I hope the track is sold and staying in the area.

#4 penske

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:05 AM

You are not alone for feeling sadness with the closing of HVR. There are many racers from Retro East that share your pain.

Of all the different tracks R.E. raced at, your dad’s place was always my favorite. The track under the bowling alley. It didn’t matter how I ran on any given day. I never walked out of there mad. Your dad had a way of calling a race that to me was very funny. It didn’t hurt that R.E. has the biggest cast of characters to work with.

Jimmy, you talk about crying about getting your first podium. I don’t know if this was the time or not. So it was RetroPalooza 4, the last race of the weekend. The A main for F1. (Was always my favorite class.) Ray Duran and Ed Sohl had the field by a few laps.

The real fight was going to be between myself and Noose for third and the last spot on the podium. And when I tell you that passing Noose in a F1 car is like passing a kidney stone, believe me. The last heat of the race. I was in red lane. Ray had a lock on the win, Ed was a sure second. I was now somehow ahead of Noose and was sure of the third place finish.

But not so fast. As your dad was calling the closing minutes of the race, it became apparent that I had more work to do. Here comes Jimmy. Never making sound, always flying under the radar. Standing like a statue, your only movement is a slight twitch of your head to  remove your hair away from your right eye. We were going into the donut for the last time. Your dad says, “Power going off in 3... 2... 1... I remember taking a breath and looking at the cars. There was little Jimmy’s car in front of me. Your dad and everybody let out a huge roar.  What a great race.

​The fact that this was at HVR made it even better. I don’t have to tell you or anybody else what a great racer you are today.

I wish the William’s family all the best for the future. Jimmy, I’m glad to hear that you will still be racing.

HVR, thanks for the memories.

• Cheater, triggerman, MSwiss and 3 others like this
Roger Ruggieri

#5 B.C.

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

Always sad to hear of a raceway closing, especially one that had been open for many years. even though I never raced there,

I will miss it being open. Good luck in future endeavors and thanks for what you did to keep this hobby/sport going forward.

Brian C. Bays

#6 911GT3

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:48 PM

I am sorry to hear about HVR closing. Although I never raced on the track, I was able to visit with Jim and Jimmy and run a rental or two. My grandkids had fun running cars on the track. 

Jim was helping me convince my wife to let me race the next time we were in the area (it was pretty easy). The last time I was in that part of New York I was too busy to race. 

I hope to see Jim and Jimmy at the R4 this year.

Eric Balicki

"Never underestimate the power of stupid."

Electric Dreams Online Shop