Photo

Sumpin' I did while waiting for some arms...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,966 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:59 AM

I cleared my work and have a bunch of arms coming back from balancing, so I whipped-up this little guy. It's a 50t/29 done on a completely stock blank (I don't know whether the arm/com was from a PS4002 or a Hawk... but they're pretty much the same). I don't have any Hawk set-ups lying around so I used the PS to check stuff. 

The only thing I tweaked on the arm was to replace the comm, as the old one was worn, and I faced the tail-spacer to make sure it was true and perpendicular to the shaft. When done and the comm tabs were welded (* really don't like doing that on these, because after prying them open to strip the arm, the tab metal is thin/weak), I gave the comm a light pass on the lathe to true it up.

Of course, it will need to be balanced.

IMG_2569.JPG

• Jencar17, Tex, Samiam and 3 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,966 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:32 AM

... oh and, I should mention also that I wound this one backwards (what I call a "reverse wind"), because it produced a more compact coil. The few patterns I tried at first all had the last layer hitting the tail spacer as I worked back towards the comm. Because these arms use a pressed-on brass ring as a tail spacer, it can get in the way of the wire, and the stock winds have the wire shmooshed around that thing... something I wanted to avoid.

John Havlicek

#3 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

XXX!!!  Is it that bad?  What do you think about the end bells used on these?  I removed the spacer from my attempt at re-using these arms, and replaced it with a piece of brass tubing (arm spacer from Bill) resulting in a bit more space in that area.  

John Stewart

#4 swodem

swodem

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

It’ll be a Hawk arm if that shaft hasn’t been shortened on the endbell end.
Im interested in how it goes afterwards...how do we get a track report?
Ceramic mags or Poly-Neo’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,966 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:46 PM

XXX!!!  Is it that bad?  What do you think about the end bells used on these?  I removed the spacer from my attempt at re-using these arms, and replaced it with a piece of brass tubing (arm spacer from Bill) resulting in a bit more space in that area.  

I get a bunch of the PS motors from people (*very few Hawks), and it seems a lot of people write on them.  I have no clue what the "XXX" is about.  Anyway, the end bells on these are OK, but the bushing comes loose on a lot on them.  That also can happen with the Hawk, but it seems less so.  The Hawk is a bit taller (more room to breathe) and has more material around the bushing, so it's easier to bond the bushing in place even if it does come loose.  The PS can *may* be a little better as far as field strength, but both of them are kinda flimsy around the can bushing strap.

It’ll be a Hawk arm if that shaft hasn’t been shortened on the endbell end.
Im interested in how it goes afterwards...how do we get a track report? 
Ceramic mags or Poly-Neo’s?

The shaft is the stock length...no need to shorten it more than it already is Steve!  I can do it either with the Poly-Neos or ceramics, as I have both.  I'm leaning towards the ceramics, and will give them a zap to see where they're at.  I'd like to see the ceramics at around 1100 or better on my meter, and if I get that, then the ceramics will be the choice.

As for "track test" report, well, maybe whoever gets it will be kind enough to do that.  I worry about reusing these coms, and I'd prefer a larger diameter com, but I wanted to do one as stock as possible to see what's what.

• NSwanberg likes this
John Havlicek

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,966 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

With this arm back from balancing, I got this motor is assembled.  It sure sounds pretty sweet to me.  Generally, it seems that these small diameter coms with the large brushes makes for a performance range more towards RPMs, and that at least *seems* to be the case here.  Giving it a test spin, I don't notice any issues that might be caused by excessive brush overlap.  It spins up fast, doesn't draw any unusual amount of current or exhibit any other weirdness.  

***It's pretty rare that I do an "actual rewind" of these motors (ie: original stack and com with a new wind and com connections), so I don't have any real baseline for what I see on the power supply.  I also rarely even run the stock motor, so I'm more than a little in the dark.  It just seems like a very nice motor, and any real proof would only come with time on the track.

• olescratch likes this
John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop