Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

I saw this. 

NASCAR penalizes Kevin Harvick for illegal Las Vegas race-winning car

Post race inspections. A practice for slot racing at major events or no?

Harvic.jpg
You can quote me.

-Mark

#2 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

The idea of fighting NASCAR is probably like going after city hall I imagine.  First thing comes to mind is what happened to the Pre-Race inspection?  Everything in order there, so what's up?  Unless there was an extended yellow on the track,  and pit stops between 13 and 15 seconds, where was the time to change out an aluminum  right side rocker panel with cameras everywhere to look in?  What it looks like to me is that Pre-Race inspection doesn't guarantee a car to be legal if there were violations that were passed over.  Chances are none of this would matter if Harvic didn't win or get podium. 

You can quote me.

-Mark

#3 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:49 PM

It is what it is and NASCAR is going to do what they are going to do. I guess they are making an effort to enforce some rules at least until one of the anointed ones is involved. With some of the crap that has been run over the years it can get amazing.

If you can't get the car through prerace inspection then go home and try again next race.

If you are caught cheating after the race you loose the win, all the points and everything that goes with it.

But that is not the way it is.

Eddie Fleming

#4 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

If you are caught cheating after the race you loose the win, all the points and everything that goes with it.

In this case they gave HarvicK the win but subtracted points. Maybe Harvick is just semi-anointed  anyway.
You can quote me.

-Mark

#5 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

Was it cheating or was it a part failure like SHR said it was?

It should be cheating and the win does not count, you get nothing or it should be a part failure and no penalty. 

I did not look at the parts so I can't say. I will say if I was going to cheat it would not be with something as visible as the deflecting window on the 4 car. As for the rocker panel it was a recent rule change and they were running what I would guess was a heavier part than the specified aluminium so I would say no problem this time. 

Eddie Fleming

#6 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

I would side with Harvic on this one.  The Pre-Race inspection should be the final pass to race.  Post race inspection would only occur if there was the slightest chance that the pit crew could ad "enhancements" in their 15 second pit stops.  It didn't happen.  I don't see it in this case.  Far as a broken rear window brace, there might be an infraction since it apparently wasn't attended to or unobserved by driver or pit crew during the race when it should have been.   I don't know.  Harvick was the legit 'winner' of the race, academic as it may be.  I don't think the 1st place racer is going to argue about that.

You can quote me.

-Mark

#7 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:30 PM

When Darrell Waltrip started the broadcast and gave his prediction of the race, he said, "I predict Kevin Harvick is going to run away with this one just like Atlanta and stink up the show again".

I know where DW is coming from - he had his own "sit down" meeting w/ the NASCAR powers that be when he was "stinkin' up the show" in his heyday and not being very humble about it. He was hinting that Kevin should do the same.

I was afraid this would happen if he went out and dominated like he did. The article says "a couple of drivers" noticed the rear backlite was drooping during the race - that would only be a couple that might have been able to trail behind him to see it at speed when he whizzed on by.

I offer this picture from the NASCAR update show apparently taken during this (or the Atlanta) race

Harvick Roof Collapse 2.JPG

clearly showing the right side of the backlite somewhat collapsed biased towards the right side (you can just barely see it) per the official description of the infraction.

I also offer this photo, apparently not from the same race based on grey walls not yellow of Las Vegas:

Harvick Roof Collapse 1.jpg

clearly showing the whole center of the backlite collapsed ... PROFOUNDLY!

Wait, what happened to the "Freaky Fast" sponsorship on the quarter panel? Well, I guess they didn't want to be associated with a "cheating team" and just removed it.

Wait, that's not Harvick's car at all! He's never been associated with Dow! Hey, that's A. Dillon, according to the printing right on the collapsed section!

It's called selective penalization, folks. The lesson here is "don't stink up the show". That's a lesson that also applies to slot car racing.

I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop - Kevin Harvick is not in the Chase yet due to two "encumbered wins" (remember Joey Logano just kind of "going away" for the balance of last season with his?) and will suffer increased scrutiny for the balance of the season.

• Mark Wampler and NSwanberg like this

Never complacent - striving to race to ever increasing levels of mediocrity!

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one hand!

Entitlement:
The notion that one can have their slot car racing and EAT IT, too!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies
, Longmont, CO, Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#8 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

This whole selective enforcement / penalization is why a lot of people are turned off at NASCAR.  As little as I watch TV,  I try to watch NASCAR objectively,  I'll just tell myself that this is all legit and maybe  an underdog will slip through and do their own stink.

You can quote me.

-Mark

#9 raisin27

raisin27

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:13 PM

Just another nail in NASCARs coffin. Judging by the way TV ratings and attendance is dropping NASCAR will be out of business within 10 years unless something is done  to reverse the trend. Everything they have tried so far has failed miserably. They even have gone as far as to decorate the seats in the stands to make it appear there are people in them on TV.

• Rob Voska and NSwanberg like this

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big 3, I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#10 Ron Guthrie

Ron Guthrie

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:33 PM

It's looks like he trying to run in that fine grey area of the rules that a lot slot racers run

#11 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

I guess Stewart Hauss cares about this.   Anybody else????   Whatever you do, make sure nobody can use their intelligence and ingenuity to outsmart and go faster than the other racers,    Not the same as 20 years ago.    Might be part of the reason  tv ratings and attendance has gone down.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#12 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:27 AM

"It ain't cheatin if you don't get caught that is why we have tech inspection and I swear those were 12 gallon cans at the start of the race."

Remember the Steube bar! (ask Raisin)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg 5618

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#13 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:34 AM

How does a window brace fail? Sounds like an intended failure to me.  

I remember when the cars had to run those big heavy bumpers. Teams would pre stress the bolts holding them on so they would fall off with the first hit. 

If only there was a rule against punting a guy out of the way to win a race. You would see a bunch of wins taken away. 

• A. J. Hoyt likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#14 old & gray

old & gray

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:07 AM

How does a window brace fail? Sounds like an intended failure to me.  

I worked for a company building components for racing (sailboats). Light weight and high performance were what it was about. When one repeat customer came back for us to re-rig his boat, he requested we not “over engineer” it this time. We asked what he meant and he replied we had made the previous rigging too heavy because it had not broken in the two years he had raced it.

Of course it’s also possible the body profile was tweaked to produce more aero force than expected and the brace failed.

Bob Schlain

Electric Dreams Online Shop