• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

I had the immense pleasure of communicating with Greg Holland yesterday . I had to email him because it was so long since anyone heard from him. Well, he is doing pretty well but he had to let the website go, finally. Without getting personal, I just wanted you guys to know that the guy who contributed so much to slot car racing through his VSRN website is retired and through some very bad luck lost nearly all of his collection, except for a few documents and pieces. I had a small part in one of his projects and I can tell you he was one of the best, and even with being the recipient of a cloud of rotten luck, hasn't lost his sense of humor. Thanks to Mr. Holland for all he did over the years and Happy Retirement!   :bye: :give_rose: :beach: :friends:

• tjallen likes this
Gary Stelter

#2 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:25 PM

I'll second the accolade.  It was through VSRN that I returned to slot cars in the mid 90's

EM

• Pete L. likes this
Alan Schwartz

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:49 AM

Amen - Greg was really the motor that drove a lot of our vintage doings over those years, and he was incredibly dedicated to the hobby - thanks Greg! 

It wasn't my first glimpse of the vintage world in 1992 when I rediscovered slots, but when I saw that somebody was actually producing a newsletter, knew all the same old names as I did, and really cared about this stuff, well... I was impressed and overjoyed to say the least. 

Not to mention that it came about the time I was discovering single malt whiskey, so settling into an armchair in the evening with the latest issue of VSRN and a wee drop is one of the great pleasures of life. 

Don 

• Pete L. likes this

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:38 AM

I never knew Greg, but used his VSRN site frequently. One of my favorite pages was the sheet of slot car magazine covers. I'd be reading something where someone mentioned a certain issue, then I'd look for its cover on Greg's page to determine if I had that issue. Many times those issues were in the bunch of magazines that disappeared from my parent's home, Some of them have since been replaced.

• Pete L. likes this

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

#5 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:02 AM

VSRN was the only thing keeping 1/24 collectors together back in the 80's.   It was the only means for us contacting each other and trading and sharing info.  It was all due to Greg.   I got my first Cox 2E body from Greg.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#6 bradblohm

bradblohm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

Oh, the excitement when a new issue was due! 

I've chatted with him recently and he explained how he lost his original copies of the newsletter.  It's just a matter of time before we get together he be borrows all 100 issues of mine to properly scan them.  Still interesting to go back through and read them, then see what I missed in the swap area!  

• Pete L. likes this
Brad Blohm

#7 tjallen

tjallen

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

He and I swapped some printed slot car material in the late 90s or early 00s, he was always friendly. Long ago, he offered cds  of old slot car magazines and ephemera. Some of those old pieces of slot car paper that he scanned were from my collection.

• Pete L. likes this
Jimmy Allen

#8 JimR

JimR

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:24 AM

My first issue of VSRN was #2. I quickly sent for back issue #1 and subscribed right up to the end. That Harvey Aluminum Spcl. is mine.

Jim Regan

Electric Dreams Online Shop