4 replies to this topic

#1 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

Once again, racing at The Doghouse in Gilbert, S.C. was a blast. Five racers turned up ready to put the vintage Flexi-2s to the test. And what a test it was!

Frankly, a good setup on a Flexi-2 is almost, I say almost, as good as the more-favored chassis of today with updated designs. We turned a lot of laps, and had a lot of laughs, too.

The gang consisted of the usual bunch:

The Dudes.jpg

The Dudes: David Erickson, Richard Sylvester, "Smiling" Jay Pittman, Dan Parker, Jim Beasley

As promised, the Flexi-2s:

Car lineup.jpg

(Jay, Richard, David, Dan, Jim)

We had previously agreed to specific rules for the cars including the use of S16D motors and tested gear ratios, making all of the entries virtually equal. We prefer to use cars that resemble the real thing, rather than go all out with ultra bodies. We even had a couple of holdovers from the days of racing at Slots of Fun in Abbeville, S.C.

Regardless of all our efforts to keep them reasonably equal, Dan Parker had unequaled speed, capable of lapping folks at will. But handling was somewhat amiss, leading to more de-slots than he had hoped and leaving him in 3rd place overall. On this day, I was able to hold off the challengers with adequate speed and a chassis that gripped the turns and stayed in the slot perfectly. Aside from a nerfing incident in the second of three races that left my axle partially bound and slowed me down considerably, the car stayed true to its original setup. (The Flexi-2 can really take a beating, in most cases.) With a little help from the soldering iron between the 2nd and 3rd races, I was able to resolve the issue and regain the speed lost in the second round when we took the track for Race 3.

We take the best two of the three race totals to determine a winner.

The results:

DogHouse - Race sheet-2018-03241.jpg

All in all, another great set of races and a lot of fun. Next race, we intend to drag a couple of other local racers into the mix. Not certain what the weapon-of-choice will be yet, possibly Retro F1. We'll see...

• Pete L., airhead, Samiam and 1 other like this
Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#2 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

Way cool, thanks for posting Jim :clapping: :good:

• SlowBeas likes this

Paul Wolcott

#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,316 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

It looks like this was a fun time for all. Both those #6 bodies are Parma RM-1s. RM-1 was the chassis number of Rick Hendrick's first 1:1 scale Intrepid sports car. Later Parma issued Intrepid & Ultimate Intrepid bodies in both 1/32 & 1/24 scales. They also had a 1/24 Intrepid SS body. Intrepids were my first GTP body of choice but the JK Peugeot may have been better.

• SlowBeas likes this
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#4 old & gray

old & gray

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:08 PM

It's been a while, but the Number 6 bodies look like Trinity "high down force" GTPs from the mid 90's.

The Parma RM-1 I remember had a larger cockpit than their Intrepid and maybe a stepped rear edge.  

• SlowBeas likes this
Bob Schlain

#5 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,316 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:04 PM

Bob, you're correct, those two bodies don't have the larger RM-1 cockpit. I paid too much attention to their nose detail. Thanks for picking this up. :)

• SlowBeas likes this
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

Electric Dreams Online Shop