18 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:01 AM

Here's a new setup I just finished prepping.  Bill Bugenis has these really nice RJR C cans.  They are un-plated and not welded, but otherwise fully formed.  Most already know the RJR cans are really good...as good as any, but for some at least, they may have "more metal" than what's currently popular.  No big deal, a couple of minutes with a Dremel and thin cutoff disc (*or if you're lucky, a Proxxon  :D) gets you pretty much right there with the trendy cans.

Here, the can was held together with a couple of spring clamps (*but tape or even some wire twisted around it would probably work too), the insides where the magnets go slathered (*er...I mean carefully coated  :D ) with epoxy and the magnets installed.  Normally, I solder the side seams to temporarily hold everything together, but that's not at all necessary.  Remember, extra strength can come from using all four screws to hold the end bell on, effectively making the end bell serve as reinforcement.

Anyway, magnets are in (*I also honed these to .530"), bearing installed and it's "off to the races"  ;)  If you want to try these, I think Bill has more.  The original can is pictured above/behind, and just needs a little spiffying up before making this happen.  Some light hand sanding, or better yet, a Scotchbrite buff in your motorized tool is all that's needed.

IMG_2652.JPG

• Geary Carrier likes this
John Havlicek

#2 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

Where do you get Scotchbrite buffing wheels?  I've been using the Dremel buffing wheels (#511E)​ ​but only one of the two wheels in the package lasts for a reasonable time - the other falls apart almost immediately.  Thanks.....

Don

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:07 AM

Hi Don,

I use the Dremel ones too.  The coarse one (lighter color) gets most of the use, but I use the fine ones as well for a lot of things also.  For a while, I tried the Chinese ones you see on eBay, and they are absolute junk.  I even cut some from Scotchbrite pads I get at the lumber yard, and mount them on a "mandrel" I made out of a #4 screw and a couple of washers, but doing that ruins whatever you cut them with!  

John Havlicek

#4 Geary Carrier

Geary Carrier

all there...???

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

Hi John,

Do you get the end bells from Bill as well?

Thanks,

g

Yes, to be sure, this is it...

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:26 PM

Hi John,

Do you get the end bells from Bill as well?

Thanks,

g

Hi Geary,

I wish!  I'm down to my last few Mura end bells, and last time I ordered them, I wiped out PCH.  I don't think there's any around anymore.  Scott...if you're looking-in, help a guy out wouldya!?

John Havlicek

#6 Geary Carrier

Geary Carrier

all there...???

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:37 PM

Hi Geary,

I wish!  I'm down to my last few Mura end bells, and last time I ordered them, I wiped out PCH.  I don't think there's any around anymore.  Scott...if you're looking-in, help a guy out wouldya!?

http://www.ncphobbie...cars/mur-m3100/

• havlicek likes this

#7 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:42 PM

They don't take PayPal Geary.  Also, I had something weird happen with them years ago.  I don;t even remember what it was, but it was enough for me to sour on them.

John Havlicek

#8 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,269 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:38 PM

Fifteen years ago, NCP had two raceways & were a good mailorder source of slot car parts. Their raceways are now gone. When I pull up their current list of 1/24 scale parts, I see lots of companies listed that don't still exist. I never had a problem doing business with them, but others have. I'd source my parts needs elsewhere, even though NCP occasionally sells stuff on eBay. They aren't what they once were.

Bill Fernald

I heard they weren't going to make yardsticks any longer.

#9 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:49 AM

Yeah Bill.  I had bought from them a few times years ago, but had some sort of an issue...and had heard of others having problems too, *although sometimes people's issues with retailers are more about them...rather than the retailer.

John Havlicek

#10 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

So, to go with such a nice setup, I did this:

IMG_2653.JPG

18/24 ("84") on a .440" long stack.  This bad boy comes in at precisely .025Ω per pole, and I'm pretty sure this one will dim the lights in Fresno (*if not Canberra  :) ).  One last test fit to make sure all is golden in "big-wire land" before it goes out for grind/balance:

IMG_2654.JPG

• slotbaker, Jason Holmes, boxerdog and 6 others like this
John Havlicek

#11 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

You certainly seem to be living in big wire land these days :D Instead of merely visiting like in the past :laugh2:

Sweet looking mill!
  • havlicek likes this

#12 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

You certainly seem to be living in big wire land these days :D Instead of merely visiting like in the past :laugh2:

Sweet looking mill!

Hi Paul and thanks!  Actually, I've done a boatload of #29 wire arms for a while, so it's nice to do one of these again!

John Havlicek

#13 Geary Carrier

Geary Carrier

all there...???

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

Sweet looking motor John,

Very nice...

#14 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:48 PM

Thanks Geary!

John Havlicek

#15 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:14 PM

Good looking motor John, the arms brings back the image of the first Pooch I ever saw and bought just for the beauty of Joel's craftsmanship. I hope the new owner realizes he has a work of art that he can look at some years down the road and still enjoy.

I could not see posts about NCP without saying that Mr. Spino does eventually ship what he has that you order, I believe he has another obligation that takes him away from filling orders but he has stuff that no one else has (assuming it's really in stock) if you are just patient. If the item is not in stock he refunds your card quickly and ships what he does have. Having said that I have just developed a bit of patience knowing that if he has it I'll get it eventually.

If I need (with no track to race on do I really need any of this?) stuff right away I go to Scott at PCH or Jim Radford.

I wish more tracks sold mail order, I've looked at BPR hoping they would add their inventory to their web site.

John, your motors/arms deserve to be raced, I hope somewhere sometime a large race tech sheet shows one of your motors on the winners sheet.

Jess Gonzales

• Samiam likes this

#16 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

Hi Jess...and thanks.  My arms have been raced and have done OK, so I'm good with all that!  :)

• Jesse Gonzales likes this
John Havlicek

#17 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:44 PM

That's great John, there is nothing quite so satisfying as hearing good things about your kids or your armatures :-) keepe'm scraeming.

Jess

• havlicek likes this

#18 B.C.

B.C.

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:44 PM

big boy wire-yesssssssssssssssssssss

• havlicek and C. J. Bupgoo like this
Brian C. Bays

#19 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:18 PM

Always nice to see ya dip into "dimmer-switch" zone!  Big wire laid as smooth as the thin stuff.  Nice package overall, another fine creation.

• havlicek likes this
John Stewart

Electric Dreams Online Shop