#1 Grant G.

Grant G.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

SB.jpg

I think this photo was taken at the 12 hours of Sebring in 1956. The car is a Ferrari 857 and I believe the guy working on the car is future F1 world champ Phil Hill. 

I got this photo about 10 years ago. It was found at a swap meet for a few bucks. I pulled it out of the frame and there is no markings and appears to be an original print. 

The one thing that bothers me is I cannot find any other photos of this car with the "meatballs" behind the number 20 painted this way. In the race it appears they were all white. 

If anyone of you gents has any more info to share I would definitely be interested. 

Grant Goerner

#2 jokar124

jokar124

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:30 PM

Getty Images has photos of the car at Sebring both with and without the darker meatballs for the 1956 race. The car is described here as a Ferrari

860 Monza. Perhaps colored meatballs were not allowed for the race, so they were changed after pre-race practice. In general, FIA  sanctioned

international races would have required a U.S. based racing team to field a car in the American racing colors, namely white body, blue trim and 

blue numbers on a white background.

• Grant G. likes this
Jo Salvaterra

#3 Grant G.

Grant G.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:11 AM

I did not think to check Getty. Thanks!

Sure enough the first image on their site is the #20 painted like I have in my photo. 

I believe Phil Hill and his team ran the 857. The factory Scuderia team that finished first and second in the race ran the 860 model. 

Grant Goerner

#4 jokar124

jokar124

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:15 PM

The best reference site I know is www.racingsportscars.com, since their mandate is to list every sports car ever entered in every race, ever! They list your

car, chassis #0570M, in many races from 1955-1961, but have no photos for your 1956 Sebring version. I am sure they would appreciate you posting your

photo there. You could also post it at www.tamsoldracecarsite.net.

Jo Salvaterra

Electric Dreams Online Shop