16 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,311 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:50 AM

These motors in all the different versions are a natural for slot cars...at least with some tweaking.  The cans fall somewhere in size between the FT16D and 26D.  The magnets are very strong, as strong as the strongest modern D motor ceramics, so that's a biggie.  The armature is exactly the same .590" diameter as the 26D arms, but the lams are thinner...maybe around .014" (I forgot to measure them).  ***Of course, the stock end bell isn't going to work, so with some quick checking it seems that either a modified 26D end bell...OR...shimming the can for a 16D end bell could be a way forward.  I chose the 16D, but here I wasn't going to use the Mabuchi or Champion types, because those would still limit the usefulness of the motor's potential.  So I opted to use a modern 16D end bell, and I hacked-off the bushing cover, and flattened the sides while it was in the mill.  Then I added Mura hardware, because it fits the stock hole pattern, and gave it the old spit & polish.

For the can, I soldered some brass strip to the top and bottom flats which got me real close.  The sides of the can only needed to come in a little, so I just built them up a bit with epoxy and then whittled them down until the end bell was a nice snug fit.  This made installing the magnets difficult...and for a minute I wasn't sure they would go.  I epoxied them in and also used the clips.  On the outside of the can, I just buffed it with a fine Scotchbrite pad to clean it, but leave the plating in tact.  Oh and, I cut some top and bottom holes too.

The end result is a very (to me) "slot car motor" look.  Here, I removed some lams and the stock arm is just about a perfect fit for the setup, so I powder coated it and did=up a #26 wire arm.  This motor should be very fast and powerful too.

IMG_2671.JPG IMG_2672.JPG IMG_2674.JPG

Attached Images

• IMG_2675.JPG

• Jencar17, Tex, Mike Jr and 6 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 Kim Lander

Kim Lander

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:35 AM

That is just a plain *** cool build.

• havlicek likes this

#3 Jaeger Team

Jaeger Team

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:33 AM

as I'm guessing to know the town that end bell comes from, may I suggest to dye in black the can? so you will match the colors of Palermo soccer club! LOL

• havlicek likes this
Maurizio Salerno

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,311 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

as I'm guessing to know the town that end bell comes from, may I suggest to dye in black the can? so you will match the colors of Palermo soccer club! LOL

You are correct Maurizio!  I can always make the can black if necessary ;)

John Havlicek

#5 Geary Carrier

Geary Carrier

all there...???

• PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

Sweet Sweet...

Yes, to be sure, this is it...

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,311 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

Thanks Geary...you ARE a troublemaker!  :)

• Geary Carrier likes this
John Havlicek

#7 Geary Carrier

Geary Carrier

all there...???

• PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

My mother always told me I'd get into trouble someday, and I guess she was right.

None the less, I can see this in a dragster or for the bold a pretty much undriveable Cuc...

• havlicek likes this

Yes, to be sure, this is it...

#8 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,311 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

My mother always told me I'd get into trouble someday, and I guess she was right.

None the less, I can see this in a dragster or for the bold a pretty much undriveable Cuc...

Well, if it were up to me, I'd skip the Cucaracha.  There are plenty of thingie bodies that are really "wing cars" without the wings, and have good downforce type aero.  One of those with a spiffy chassis to match should still be a handfull, but sorta-kinda-almost-driveable...pretty much.  :)

• Geary Carrier likes this
John Havlicek

#9 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

Dragster power!!  This motor needs to be free to rev as much as possible, and in the least amount of time.  Did I miss it, what did you use as a bearing in the can?  BTW, nothing looks as cool as that colored endbell attached to a lime green can IMO!  Nice job!!

John Stewart

#10 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,311 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:15 PM

Did I miss it, what did you use as a bearing in the can?

Hmmm...let me check, nope you didn't miss it!  ;)  These motors come with a "magnetic" sintered bushing (iron content) just as most of the Chinese regular slot car motors do.  These are long wearing, but it's important that they're well aligned, because they can be tough on armature shafts.  I checked that thew shaft was correct and then epoxied it into it's pocket after milling the pocket flush.

• olescratch likes this
John Havlicek

#11 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:52 PM

What is the standard comm like on these 280's John? Can they be re-used at all like other motors? Or is it a case of just use a nice new one??

Great news they're similar to the 26D, be nice to find a ready to use endbell for these (not that I'm afraid of a little modding ;) )

#12 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,311 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:10 AM

What is the standard comm like on these 280's John? Can they be re-used at all like other motors? Or is it a case of just use a nice new one??

Great news they're similar to the 26D, be nice to find a ready to use endbell for these (not that I'm afraid of a little modding ;) )

Hi Paul,

The com that comes with these is tiny...MUCH smaller than even the small coms that come on say the "fk" motors...like maybe half as large, and pretty fragile!  So, they're not even worth a second look...they immediately get tossed.  These motors are wound for lots of toque at very low RPMs...like a few hundred turns or so of maybe #34 wire or something like that.  Naturally, the brushes are tiny also, but these motors are designed to do things like move car mirrors and such.  They want them to run slow and last for a long time, but have good torque to match their intended application...which is about as far from powering a slot car as you could imagine.  :D

With the can being around the length of a 16D, but a little narrower and less tall than a 26D, there's no slot car end bell that will fit it directly.  A 16D end bell (*like this one) can be made to fit by shimming the can, or a 26D end bell can be made to fit by reducing the part that fits into the can.  Of course, regular 26D end bells, even the Champion ones, are made of really poor materials, so going with the "16D" size one allows for more modern and sturdy material.  These motors are never going to be "right" for true vintage builds anyway, so I don't see any reason to force the issue and use a vintage end bell when the modern stuff is so much better.

***On the other hand, the magnets in these are pretty much "plug & play" for the 26D, although they would need the same shim as the Arcos, and I think need some trimming to length (I forget).  They're stronger than Arcos though, so there could be a real benefit in the swap, but the 26D motor is way more limited by the end bell than by Arcos.  The swap would make sense if you just couldn't find Arcos.

John Havlicek

#13 Alchemist

Alchemist

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:55 PM

I have never seen a pink colored endbell until now.

Wow!  That looks so KOOL!

I'm not familiar with the FC280 - is it physically the same size as a 16D motor?

What is the difference please, between the 280 and 16D motor?

Thank you.

Ernie

Ernie Layacan

#14 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,311 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:06 AM

Hi Ernie,

From above:

the can being around the length of a 16D, but a little narrower and less tall than a 26D

So the motor falls between the 16D and 26D

John Havlicek

#15 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:51 AM

Ernie, the pink endbell was during a certain phase in the life of the Parma 16D/501/Death star motor.

#16 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,507 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:25 AM

Ernie, like Paul said, those pink endbell 16D motors came from Parma between their white ones & their black. Like Parma gears, they do take red RIT dye well, but not some other colors. Parma motors with pink endbells had the thicker, but weaker 16D magnets rather than the S16D ones in Deathstars. As far as I know, all Parma motors with black endbells, except home set motors, have EP or EPX magnets.

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#17 Alchemist

Alchemist

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for the info John, Paul, Bill!

It's appreciated!

Ernie

Ernie Layacan