20 replies to this topic

#1 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:00 PM

This came up for sale locally yesterday.   Very interesting.   It was on Craigslist with a pic of nice Ogilvie Hill Climb, for $600.   It came from Missoula Montana and has been stored half a** in a basement for 6-7 years.   No working  lights in the basement, just one flash light, the way it is piled up you can't get to it easy.   Not sure what configuration or design it is.  It has no section that looks hard banked.   I got pix of the joints to show how they fit.  It looks like Particle board of MDF with a layer of plywood underneath..    It's grey with blue walls.   The end of each section has a number on it.   All the braid is stripped and gone, most electric looks to be there.    

I was relieved it was not the track in the picture, that was a good excuse to leave it there.    I did leave with an offer if no one buys it.   None of the local slot guys I know could or would do it, have a place for it, or the money to re-do it.   It looks to be an easy job to to cut it down to a 4 lane track and refinish and braid it to whatever configuration works for my space.

The seller was a classic, close to 350 pounds, beat up Crown Vic, cane and walker in back seat.  4-5 earrings, pony tail with rubber bands on it that haven't been changed in weeks, nuff said.   Stored at his sisters house which was a treat.  As soon as we got out my buddy reached for the hand sanitizer!

Possibly it is an old American Raceways track.  Maybe I will get it if no one else wants to haul it out and do something with it.  Any opinions are appreciated.   Remember this guy took a bus from Louisville to Missoula, rented a truck there, met a guy with the track in a trailer and hauled it back here.   It may have been setup in Montana a few years ago.

thanks guysjeff track 4.jpg jeff track.jpg jeff track 6.jpg

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#2 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:02 PM

jeff track 2.jpg jeff track 3.jpg jefftrack 7.jpg

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#3 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

I don't believe the track is an Ogilvie.  The tongue/groove that I have seen on them does not match what is shown in the pictures.  Nor is there a numbering system on the end as shown. 

Any legs/track supports shown?

Do you think all the pieces are there?

#4 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:24 PM

Not an American Raceways track. Tongue-In-Groove wasn't the way they built them...

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#5 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:25 PM

Steve it is definitely not one of Steve's tracks.     Not sure how much of it is there or what it will setup as!    The tongue part is a nailed/glued on strip.     If I go back, I will take good light and get better pix.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#6 Racer36

Racer36

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:48 PM

That track was for sale online a year or so ago. Not sure where I saw it

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#7 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

This guy said he had had it for 6-8 years, he wasn't sure.    He may have had it for sale online.   

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#8 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:08 PM

Can you tell if it is a blue king? I recall the AZSCR track that Hasse and Al Boardman built here in Phoenix had a double deck and was braced like nobody's business. Al said that if Hasse said one brace was good Al would beef it up some more. The AZSCR track was last owned here in Phoenix by Monte Carleton and left town for parts unknown after the 1991 Western States.

Jesse Gonzales

#9 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:30 PM

Jesse, we counted 8 straight sections  (appx 6-7 ft long)  which wouldn't be enough for a King.   It is possible that a couple may have been shorter, but we could only see one end of that stack and not the side of the stack.  Of course, there could be some missing.    It was ridiculous trying to see what was there, but with a flash light, we didn't see any curves that looked to be banked at all or very much.   There was no light in this basement and no access to get around and look at what was there closely.

After getting home and uploading my pictures, I saw it better than when I was there because of the flash.   I thought maybe the tongue and groove might be a clue to the builder since the  tongue part was a glued/nailed on strip about 1/2 X 1/2.   

I'm not very experienced with commercial tracks, but the pieces were all very rigid, built with the plywood layer under the MDF or particle board that was the top layer.

This seller met somebody in Missoula and transferred it from a trailer to a box truck.  He doesn't remember anything else about it.  He said he saw a picture of it assembled at sometime in the past!

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#10 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:39 PM

If you have a place to store it, I'd say go for it.

You would really need to get everything outdoors, where you could see how the pieces go together. I would guess that it won't fit in your basement. :D

My neighbors listen to heavy metal... whether they want to or not!!!

#11 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:37 AM

Mike, I made a last ditch offer.  If the guys can't sell it to anyone, he will call me and I will buyit for my offer so it doesn't get thrown away.   I am hoping someone buys it and saves it, but if that doesn't happen I will buy it

I have building that I can lay it out in and see what configuration it is and what options there can be to reconfigure or cut it down to one or two 4 lane tracks.   I have an area that is 32 X 12  in this building that currently has my 4 lane Carrera track in it.  I can use this space for a track.  The rest of the building is storage for 2 of our cars and a bass boat.   I can store it if needed, but it really needs to go to the second floor, which is 30 X16.   If it goes up....someday it must come down.  

We'll see what happens.   I was hoping the end panel construction with the glue on tongue might be a clue to whether it is from one of the major builders or just a one off builder.

• Samiam likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#12 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,425 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

I know I have posted this before, but I'll try again.

While it is noble to resurrect an old track, trying to bisect an 8 lane track into a 4 lane track will be more work than it's worth.

You won't have proper width aprons, colors probably won't match, and as hard as you try, it will probably be bumpy and look cobbled together.

Just spend $75 more and build a new track.
  • Phil Hackett, Half Fast, Mattb and 1 other like this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#13 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:30 PM

Mike, we've talked about this before!   Now I have to cut it down just to show you I can.  Back in 1988, I went in Highland Hobbies slot center in Louisville and met the owner Jim Williams for the first time.   I had my 1966 slot car with me and ran it successfully on his new Dadd's hillclimb.  First time in a slot track since 1967.   It was daytime and no one else was there.   We spent about 2 hours talking about the old days and new days.   I mentioned I wouldn't mind building a track at home.   He informed me that that wasn't practical for  anybody to try and build a routed track at home and probably couldn't do it.     I thought about how to build it the whole way home and 2 months later I took pics of my first routed track in to show him.    I've done  three routed tracks since then..   I've built lots of furniture and done hundred of remodeling jobs.     Re-configuring a flat 8 lane track to 4 lanes looks very simple to me.     Building a new track is also simple, but this old track deserves to live on.

I'll send you pics!!! 

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#14 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,425 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:14 PM

Post the pics for everyone to see.

I don't doubt it can be done and you can do it, but there are too many compromises.

Unless you and your friends like to ride the wall, unless you build a simple oval, you will either mix lane colors, or have to leave a 5th lane on.

It will either look weird, or you'll have to Bondo it up.

If you mix lane colors, you'll want to repaint the track.

Painting the track will be a pain with the braid on.(edit-I just saw that the braid is already removed)

You can remove the braid and paint, but that's a bigger job than just putting new braid on a new track.

If the walls are glued on, they may be hard to remove without damaging the track.

Also, when you split a turn, you don't have a natural pivot to "compass" off of.

All the above can be done, but again building a new track is much, much easier.

Sorry to be repetetive, but it sort of is the same when you make your regular "commercial raceway's are doomed", statement. Lol

Mike Swiss

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#15 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,425 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

PS-and I forgot another obvious thing.

If the track is elipitically routed, getting the slots to line up will probably be an issue.

Mike Swiss

#16 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 13,224 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:24 PM

The first commercial track I bought was built like this one with the plywood bottom and the tongue and groove between the sections. I bought it from Eagle back in about 88. It was a Hillclimb and I think it might have been made by Hasse but don't quote me on that. The one thing I can tell you is it had all metal legs and supports.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid.

NF-UE

#17 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:35 PM

This track had typical wooden legs.    Mike, this track has no braid on it, will need sanding and painting and maybe re-routing  the gains to clean out the old glue and make it deep enough to use tape to put the braid down.      Basically it is just a bunch of wooden track sections.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#18 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:40 PM

I just noticed something else... who constructed tracks with plywood surfaces (or whatever they're calling laminated wood these days)? I thought most tracks were MDF (or whatever they call particles glued together these days).

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#19 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

Phil, I think  this track is a layer of particle board over plywood.   You can see the detail in the picture of the end of a track section above.      The tongue part of the tongue and groove is a piece of 1/2 X 1/2  strip glued/nailed across the joint.   I didn't think/find a piece of track to see how this would fit the adjacent piece of track. 

I should have gotten more pix showing underside construction, too.   I was kind of flabbergasted to see that this wasn't the track pictured in the CL ad, there was no light in this basement and the pieces were piled in a manner among so much junk that you couldn't get to it and do any kind of inventory or close inspection.    

I will be amazed if anybody buys this.  I feel like I'll get a call in a day or two to come and do a deal  on it.   Maybe I'm wrong and one of the other slot guys around here will be able to do all that is required to haul it out of this basement, find a place to assemble it and re-work it and have the know how and money to do it.   I think that is doubtful, but who knows.

• hiline2 likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#20 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:13 PM

As to building a routed track in a basement, I belonged to a home racing group that built several routed tracks. All it took

was a few guys with common sense. Each one we built got better and better. They weren't Swiss or Gerding quality, but

not far off. Another group had a couple of our guys build tracks for them.

#21 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:09 PM

The Silknater Bros built some tracks using an MDF veneer over a plywood substrata.  We had one at Paradise Raceway and I saw a few others when he had a booth at the I-Hobby show over 15 years ago.  The slot groove had a lot of splinters and gaps.  Watch for them - painting/sealing the slot helped, but it did now flex good for a decent banking.

• macman likes this

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

Electric Dreams Online Shop