14 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:19 PM

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a few of the pro slot mini can motors to rebuild and rewind...

Arm. condition doesn't matter. Can, endbell and mags need to be good, even if endbell bushing has spun but still a good hole to work with.

Ceramic or Neo mags, I want to try both types.

Price I hope to be reasonable 

Just PM if you have and ar no longer needed.

As allways Thanks,

Ben

• havlicek likes this

#2 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:15 AM

Ben,

The 4002FKs are poly/neo mags. The 4002s as used previously in IRRA Stock Cars were ceramic mag. 4002B/BB Puppy Dogs were ceramic as well.    

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:45 AM

Excellent Ben.  With either the ceramics or the polyneos, these are really good candidates for rewinding.  After carefully prying the com tabs open, they can be soldered closed again no problem if you're using #30 wire...just use a good silver-content solder (3-4%) and NO acid flux.  

***You might be able to get some from a raceway because, after all, these are basically throw-away motors with no real "second-life" value.  There should be tons of them out there.

John Havlicek

#4 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:02 AM

Ben,

The 4002FKs are poly/neo mags. The 4002s as used previously in IRRA Stock Cars were ceramic mag. 4002B/BB Puppy Dogs were ceramic as well.    

Hey Sam.

I was just thinking any of the mini can motors may be worth fooling with as long as it has the external brush endbell with some meat on it's bones.  :D 

#5 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:11 AM

Excellent Ben.  With either the ceramics or the polyneos, these are really good candidates for rewinding.  After carefully prying the com tabs open, they can be soldered closed again no problem if you're using #30 wire...just use a good solver-content solder (3-4%) and NO acid flux.  

***You might be able to get some from a raceway because, after all, these are basically throw-away motors with no real "second-life" value.  There should be tons of them out there.

Thanks John,

I feel the same way about these little motors. With a little tinkering who knows ( besides you ) what these little monsters could be. Sure seems to have good bones for a 15.00 motor.  Time to play! :D

#6 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

America made arms are readily available from PS and Koford in many different winds for drag, wing, and road racing.  New endbells as well from PS and JK.  The seals are only there for certain races.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#7 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:32 PM

I have a Hawk (6?) mini motor that I have now use for that you are welcome to.  Got it with some other stuff a while back, nobody races them around here.  I think it's new

• havlicek likes this
"Whatever..."

#8 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

I have a Hawk (6?) mini motor that I have now use for that you are welcome to.  Got it with some other stuff a while back, nobody races them around here.  I think it's new

Hi John,

It's SUPER nice for you to make this offer, however just being honest I should try sticking with the Pro Slot type set-ups for now. 

I'm sure there's a racer somewhere out in Slotworld that would have much better use then me takeing it apart.

But again Many Thanks,

Ben

#9 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

America made arms are readily available from PS and Koford in many different winds for drag, wing, and road racing.  New endbells as well from PS and JK.  The seals are only there for certain races.

Hi Larry,

I couldn't agree more!

Yes Sir!!

There are many, many very FINE and NICE arms. out there for purchase and in some cases even free!

Just check with John Havlicek and you'll see some of the finest around.

It's just that like many others l enjoy winding my own, but thanks very much for the information!

Ben

• wbugenis likes this

#10 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:03 AM

It's SUPER nice for you to make this offer, however just being honest I should try sticking with the Pro Slot type set-ups for now.

Hi Ben,

The Hawk 6 is the same basic type of motor as the Pro Slot, except:

1) The end bell is nicer (*although the earlier end bell in black was almost identical with the pro Slot).

2) The Hawk can has a little more "open design" which *might* have a slight advantage or disadvantage depending on what you're going for.

If for some reason you'd prefer to only use the Pro Slot motors, I'd be more than happy to have John send me the motor!  ;)

John Havlicek

#11 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

Hi Larry,

I couldn't agree more!

Yes Sir!!

There are many, many very FINE and NICE arms. out there for purchase and in some cases even free!

Just check with John Havlicek and you'll see some of the finest around.

It's just that like many others l enjoy winding my own, but thanks very much for the information!

Ben

Thanks Ben,

...and to take it even further, the JK aluminum end bells expand the possibilities even further.  Anyway, these motors (either the JK or the ProSlot minican types) are about the best way to get into winding there is today because they're so inexpensive.  It may be easier to wind on arms for C and D cans, but there are more used minicans around that people might want to let go of for free or cheap.  I've been surprised and fortunate enough to get a good number of them for nothing!

John Havlicek

#12 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

Hi Ben,

The Hawk 6 is the same basic type of motor as the Pro Slot, except:

1) The end bell is nicer (*although the earlier end bell in black was almost identical with the pro Slot).

2) The Hawk can has a little more "open design" which *might* have a slight advantage or disadvantage depending on what you're going for.

If for some reason you'd prefer to only use the Pro Slot motors, I'd be more than happy to have John send me the motor!  ;)

No No, John, It has nothing to do with any brand name out there. PS, Hawk, Koford and a TON more, my hat is off to all brands that try to build quailty parts for a bunch of old and young "Speed Freaks". Hats off also to the raceway owners that try to keep them inline and give us a place to race!  :victory: 

I was thinking that the Hawk type motors had the old sheet metal endbells like the old falcon cans, seems wrong AGAIN! :)

I thought although a very nice offer another racer might need that motor more than me. 

Had no idea it's a good maybe better endbell!  Thanks for letting me know!

I will be contacting John just to explain that ole Ben didn't know what he was talkng about.   :) 

If you want that motor, it's yours but l really shoud contact John and explain.

Thanks for the info!

#13 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

Thanks Ben,

...and to take it even further, the JK aluminum end bells expand the possibilities even further.  Anyway, these motors (either the JK or the ProSlot minican types) are about the best way to get into winding there is today because they're so inexpensive.  It may be easier to wind on arms for C and D cans, but there are more used minicans around that people might want to let go of for free or cheap.  I've been surprised and fortunate enough to get a good number of them for nothing!

John, I'll be checking in to those JK endbell for sure. I sometimes have trouble finding parts as the company websites seem hard to locate things. But now thats just me I'm sure!

I have a nice lot of ps4002fk's on the way!  VERY reasonable price!    THANKS FOR ALL REPLYS ON MY MOTOR REQUEST!!!  

Slotblog and it's members are a AWESOME Bunch for sure! 

Thanks EVERYONE!!

Ben

• havlicek likes this

#14 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

No No, John, It has nothing to do with any brand name out there. PS, Hawk, Koford and a TON more, my hat is off to all brands that try to build quailty parts for a bunch of old and young "Speed Freaks". Hats off also to the raceway owners that try to keep them inline and give us a place to race!  :victory:

I was thinking that the Hawk type motors had the old sheet metal endbells like the old falcon cans, seems wrong AGAIN! :)

I thought although a very nice offer another racer might need that motor more than me. 

Had no idea it's a good maybe better endbell!  Thanks for letting me know!

I will be contacting John just to explain that ole Ben didn't know what he was talkng about.   :)

If you want that motor, it's yours but l really shoud contact John and explain.

Thanks for the info!

All good Ben.  I ALWAYS accept these motors (*either the PS or the JK) when people have them.  Even when they're a little rusty, it just seems a shame to have them thrown into the garbage because you never know when the parts at least can be of use.  ***I've also had good success doing them as actual old-school rewinds, using the existing stack and com, as long as they haven't already been balanced.

John Havlicek

#15 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

John,

I agree 100%, there's no way I would want people to throw away good parts or motors. I'm sure it happens but lots of people really have no use for old worn out "Throw away motors"... Just saying that even sounds bad to me! :shok:  :D 

I know better now and I'll not make that mistake again..  

• olescratch likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop