58 replies to this topic

#1 wjtaylor

wjtaylor

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

Buena Park, Group F, Schedule change

Our next race will be May 6 and because of the number of racers that are attending the races and the late finishes that result, we are going to move the schedule forward.

As always, the raceway will open at 11AM.

Racing will start at 1PM with the Retro Hawk race, if we have enough entries. After the RH race there will be a 30 minute warm-up before the FK race.

If there is no Retro Hawk race, the FK race will start at 2PM.

Depending on the number of racers, we may split the field into “A” and “B” groups, with the more experienced racers in the “A” group. We will be asking you to honestly consider your skill level and which group you should race in. This would apply to either class as entries dictate.

If you want to run in both races and you only have one car, let us know and we will be happy to help you with the motor change if you need it.

Bill Taylor
Hi-Speed Products

#2 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:14 PM

Well sorry won't be playing anymore

jason

I don't see a reason to change the start Time began at 4PM run 2 races if needed should be done by 6:30 that's not late but we will have to change the way things are run  last race we ran 14 heats do the math 3 on 3 off 6 x 14= 84 min. but in this case it took us 2hr 15min to finish 51 min. of track calls I think its time we let it run and people learn how to Drive there were only 2 people that raced Sunday that you would call newies less than 3 races It's time to let the race play out 

• Samiam likes this

#3 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:18 PM

The current schedule works best for me because I attend church.

• Jason Holmes, Jesse Gonzales and Slot-Racer like this

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#4 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:26 PM

Create a few proposed schedules and let the racers vote on them
  • Tim Wilkins and Tim Wood like this
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#5 Tim Wood

Tim Wood

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:04 AM

Lets  consider a compromise, as bbr said, change times to what ever 1 - 3 pm   to start race or races. Some of us have a little farther to drive home. Lets vote. Come on Jason reconsider, We enjoy your help and input. As far as a A & B class for these $100.00 cars. I think its great to have advance racers racing with the still learning racers. How else are will you learn anything. Save your skills for the big races and Fast wing open cars. Hell most the people showing up now enjoy the wing racing and that's all they do and want to have some fun.  Let the race play out and everyone has to marshal. Comments on learn how to drive that's what everyone is trying to do and I personally appreciate all the help by the experienced racers and all of Forrest's Efforts to make this a fun time. Thanks for listening.

Tim 

Still learning the art of wing racing

#6 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:17 PM

Sunday is Church and Lunch with the Wife that only change's if its a major race or Traveling playing toy cars does not trump that   and I still think we should be able to start at 4 be done by 6:30 and run 2 race's if done right

jason

• Tim Wilkins likes this

#7 guitarist gone bad

guitarist gone bad

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:26 PM

Even though I am going to be out of state till possibly October and not racing till then, I'd still like to make the suggestion that maybe move the wing races to the 1st Saturday of the month instead of the first Sunday. Follow along the lines of the Retro race schedule meaning start at aprox 10:00 am with maybe a quick lunch break somewhere between the races, depending on the number of entries.
This would allow the guys who work or have commitments on Sunday morning, to have a chance to still enter the monthly wing race and also might benefit racers who may have a long drive home by finishing the races much earlier in the day. A Saturday may also give the Grp F wing cars higher visibility and maybe attract some additional new racers.........Just a thought.

Keith Walker
guitarist gone bad

• Jason Holmes, Tim Wilkins and Tim Wood like this
Keith Walker

#8 Tim Wood

Tim Wood

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:08 PM

Gona MS U Keith. Hopefully you get bored  and come race with us sooner. Always a pleasure to see you.

Tim

Still learning the art of wing racing 1 race at a time

#9 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:05 AM

I like a 1:30pm start time for RH , and a 3:30pm for FK.
Separate FK racers by how many laps you can run on black lane.

Just another idea to throw against the wall
  • Tim Wood likes this
Mike Low

#10 Eric Claburn

Eric Claburn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:49 PM

Would love to qualify on black.
Seperating into an A and B main is a good idea.racers that are learning or not quite to par with the A main can marshall and pick up tricks that the A main guys have and see how we get the job done. A main can marshall and watch the B main and help or guide them in the right direction. I as a racer dont mind either way so long as all racers talk and allow the faster guys thru. Id perfer this be a vote at the next race that way we can solve all issues at one time.

#11 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:34 PM

Eric,

Qualifying on black is good.  Better than full punch on blue.  I was discussing with another Wing Car Racer the possibility of also running "laps and sections".  At least it takes some skill to drive black. Qualifying on blue and just punching it will determine who’s car is the fastest but doesn’t mean that driver belongs in the A main.  Downside it adds at least 30 minutes to the day's event.

• Tim Wood likes this

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#12 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:30 PM

If we qualify on Black it's total Laps in 1 Min. not fast time and only Qualify if there's over 11 racers 

jason

• Tim Neja and Tim Wood like this

#13 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:28 AM

Red makes more sense but I'm just happy you guys are doing Laps n sections.

- a NJ racer.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - Ronald Regan #40 (1911 - 2004)

David Parrotta

#14 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,595 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:22 AM

Just curious.

Why would you think you could offer that opinion / advice without ever being on their track?
  • bbr likes this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#15 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:21 AM

David 

On our Kind Red is a Much easier lane to Drive racers have a hard time with the lead on with black it can be a bear but fast if you do it right red is 2 blips Black lane is 70% of the Track call's in a race

jason

#16 Eric Claburn

Eric Claburn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

(Tim
Im there usually all day anyways testing and helping out if needed. Mainly figuring out the track and doing my homework.Adding half an hour but starting alittle earlier wouldnt matter to me!)
Getting big lap results do matter to me, getting the class to grow matters. Seperating racers is only going to improve racers that want to improve. Not all of us or anybody for that matter can show up 2 minutes before the race and expect to win or podium i dont care how good you may be . I dont want to be harsh about things but practice practice , not practice during race time dont switch out to a different car 1 min before the race. Race what you practice with. I have 1 car and its dialed in 4 races same motor and 2 sets of tires if i can do it we all can . If anyone needs help ask ill point you in the right direction.
  • Tim Neja, Roy Lievanos and Tim Wood like this

#17 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:12 PM

Just curious.
Why would you think you could offer that opinion / advice without ever being on their track?

Hidesight is 20/20.

Not my sandbox. My apologies
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - Ronald Regan #40 (1911 - 2004)

David Parrotta

#18 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

As most have seen I come in 15-20 min. before the race have 3-4 cars that are set up just a bit different to test the track after a few laps choose 1 and play for me it's no longer about the top 3 but having a good time and with all the Track calls it's a chore to have fun so getting the drivers into classes may make racing better but it may also drive some away Unlike Eric I only go though the big Prep for Big Races not monthly play time but to each there own  I do believe if you wish to get better he is right about practice and only on Red, Purple and Black stay off the easy lanes Take a few laps in the middle to see that the car is working and then switch and hit it hard on those lanes and have fun and pay attention to you other drivers not just your car 

have fun jason

• Tim Neja and Samiam like this

#19 Tim Wood

Tim Wood

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:13 AM

Great feedback, a lot of good ideas. That's why I enjoy racing. 

Tim

#20 86ed once again

86ed once again

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:50 PM

Ill put my 2 cents in, even though it probably wont do much good. I agree with both Eric and Jason. Qualify black, laps and sections. Also let the race play out. I know youre trying to let the newbies get accustomed to racing but so many track calls doesnt teach them a thing. Also practice only goes so far, actual racing is what got me better. Having 6-8 cars on the track at the same time is way different then being on black by yourself practicing.
  • Jason Holmes and bbr like this
James Grinstead
Five-time USRA Champion
TEAM KOFORD

#21 wjtaylor

wjtaylor

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

If you say we are going to qualify on black, guess what lane everybody will be on. Might be better if we do a random selection of red, white, purple and black. That way everybody will be running a bunch of gutter lanes and not standing on line for black.

Although, personally, I don't think we need to qualify. Just separate the racers into new racers and experienced racers.

Separating the groups should, at least in theory, make the races go faster. When the new racers are racing, we will have all experienced marshals, so we will have fewer track calls. When the experienced racers are up, we don't crash to much, so fewer track calls.

Just a few ideas, comments please

And don't forget, this weeks racing starts at 1

Bill Taylor
Hi-Speed Products

#22 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:42 PM

If you say we are going to qualify on black, guess what lane everybody will be on. Might be better if we do a random selection of red, white, purple and black. That way everybody will be running a bunch of gutter lanes and not standing on line for black.

Although, personally, I don't think we need to qualify. Just separate the racers into new racers and experienced racers.

Separating the groups should, at least in theory, make the races go faster. When the new racers are racing, we will have all experienced marshals, so we will have fewer track calls. When the experienced racers are up, we don't crash to much, so fewer track calls.

Just a few ideas, comments please

And don't forget, this weeks racing starts at 1

to set a baseline so that so that no one feels slighted, we should prove our worth to be racing in the 'A" group by dong a one minute run for laps and section on black, just one time  :D

• Jason Holmes likes this
Mike Low

#23 Eric Claburn

Eric Claburn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:15 PM

I understand that track calls are time consuming but thats part of racing. If youve ever watched nascar they stop the race if theres a crash otherwise the race would be over very quickly with a wad of beer cans. This goes for us as well not one of us wants our car wadded up when it couldve been advoided remember what i said if someones car comes off and you dont see it and smack there car behind a pole bridge ect. Dont complain you dont want track calls just let it play out and lap totals will go from 450 to 350. And yes if a line is needed so be in it on black - gutters it shouldnt take hours on any lane to get your timing down.
  • Roy Lievanos likes this

#24 Eric Claburn

Eric Claburn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

I vote for a pro grp f class id still race both classes what do you guys think. Eliminate qualifing keep it round robin just deal with it. It works
  • Roy Lievanos likes this

#25 Phil Beukema

Phil Beukema

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

Early Church Service + Breakfast = Slot Car Racing

Late Church Service + Lunch =  No Slot Car Racing 

"line 'um up!"

Electric Dreams Online Shop