Buena Park Raceway Group F schedule change

58 replies to this topic

#26 Roy Lievanos

Roy Lievanos

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

I vote for a pro grp f class id still race both classes what do you guys think. Eliminate qualifing keep it round robin just deal with it. It works

Im in.
2017 Western States " Retro Hawk F class " Champion
2017 USRA Div 1 Nats " F class " Champion
Thank you John and Dee Hale -Santa Ana Raceway circa 1968

#27 Roy Lievanos

Roy Lievanos

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:40 PM

I would like to address what I feel is our main reasons for track calls. Yes, it makes the race a bit longer, but to some of us we only race once a month and dig deep into our pockets to be able to race and cannot afford to replace a bent chassis just because we want to go home 15 min early.
We have a great bunch of regular wing racers and are fortunate to have quite a bit of new racers joining us recently.

1- A car keeps coming off due to missing body pin and is allowed to fix.
2- Thin on turn marshals. Often my wife Deb and Melanie, not to mention grand kids Marshall on low turnouts.
3- Our turn marshals. Our physical days are behind us (me included) but we do our best but don't want see a car ruined because it takes us 10 seconds to reach black lane in the dead man.
Minimum track calls in big races I can understand. Our monthly races lately seem to be a learning curve for most and or practice.
I am just thankful for the direction our wing racing is heading and all the help racers are offering.
See you Sunday.
  • Tim Wood and Slot-Racer like this

#28 wjtaylor

wjtaylor

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:02 PM

What's pro grp F?

Bill Taylor
Hi-Speed Products

#29 Eric Claburn

Eric Claburn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:04 PM

Pro grp f same car but with a proslot or koford hawk motor neo setup

#30 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

FYI - I checked with Debbie today and she mentioned the earliest start time possible for tomorrow's first Wing Car race will most likely be at 3 PM due to a Cub Scout event being held on the King track until early afternoon.  

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#31 wjtaylor

wjtaylor

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

Still not sure what the difference is. Is it a different arm? is it a sealed motor? Which ProSlot motor?

Bill Taylor
Hi-Speed Products

#32 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:56 PM

What they Run in Pro F is The same thing we run in Retro Pro but with Neo Mags also they can run the JK Hawk set up full bearings and shunts if you wish.                                          Koford or Pro Slot special 12 arm's

jason

We may need to bump the Power to 13.6-13.8 will keep the motors cooler In TN they run 2.4's in the race Qualify in the 2.2's and you just went from 15$ to 75-100$$ for a motor 

#33 86ed once again

86ed once again

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

Jason cant forget about the aluminum endbell as well 

• Jason Holmes likes this
James Grinstead
Five-time USRA Champion
TEAM KOFORD

#34 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:53 PM

Oops, forgot about that. Add another 25 to the motor cost so 100-125 for our group. I think not but who knows and remember that's if you build it, otherwise it's 175-200 guessing.

jason

#35 Eric Claburn

Eric Claburn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:11 PM

Yes the motor is more expensive but you get what you pay for. Its pro f not retro hawk

#36 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:18 PM

Yep you do but 150 to run 2.6 or 14 to run 2.95-3.0 what do you think most of our racers are going to stay with. We might as well go back to light box because most of us already have those motors and will be just as quick or faster for less 

jason

• Tim Neja likes this

#37 Eric Claburn

Eric Claburn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

I understand id like to know how many of us have 1 or 2 motors only . And this was never brought up as to eliminate grp f or have an impact on it but rather grow another class with cars we aleady have. Just swap motors class to class. Only an idea since some of the racers have these motors or simular for other classes it would be easy to add to the collection.

#38 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,557 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:56 PM

You guys are going to price the wing racing out of affordability AGAIN!! The Group F was started with $100 wing cars!! That was the attraction---if you want to go faster--why not Box Stock then?? That's where you're headed!

• Half Fast likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#39 Roy Lievanos

Roy Lievanos

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

I understand id like to know how many of us have 1 or 2 motors only . And this was never brought up as to eliminate grp f or have an impact on it but rather grow another class with cars we aleady have. Just swap motors class to class. Only an idea since some of the racers have these motors or simular for other classes it would be easy to add to the collection.

I'll put my retro 12 motor in one of my F cars next time I'm out and see what it does. I know most have those. Either way I will still purchase the hawk 6 version. To turn lap times under 2.5 using the new generation motors would be the next challenge using an F chassis.

#40 Eric Claburn

Eric Claburn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

Again guys no chance that i want to eliminate the pk2002 fk motor. Just adding this idea for those that are interested in this class.
Thanks roy for trying something new. I have plenty of opens tim would you like to race. Besides that tim these cars where over a hundred since it started 4 years ago just ask debbie how much the window cars are . And having the ability to grow in a faster field at buena park would be great. Expanding is growing.

#41 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,557 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

They were ORIGINALLY $100.  That's the first time I raced them --- now their what $150??  So you want to DOUBLE the price of a car with the motor and create a class that doesn't exist anywhere else just to go faster?  WHY??  There's PLENTY of other wing class's to go faster that are raced nationally.  Why not go to one of those so IF people DID want to travel, or practice for a national race-- they can?  I"m not racing wing cars right now--but I LOVE all forms of slot racing. I don't see how this is going to help grow wing racing?  If you want to go faster--there's LOT'S of class's the already exist to do that with.  Why go rogue?    

Jason also said break out the box stock stuff.  There's a LOT of that stuff out there now.  

• The Number of likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#42 Eric Claburn

Eric Claburn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

Why play with a 10 year old pet rock (box stock). Let me see. grp 16d 12 15 20 27 7 developed overnight. What happened to some of these classes where'd they go. Why arent we using old wire chassis's. Hmmm. Racing evolves whether the people do or not or it just dies. Replace old tech with new at a cheaper cost that is faster or equalivent. Sorry i thru out the idea. Im not sorry that me and a few others running on the king got this started again! And eventually it will go to these newer gen motors.it just takes a couple of us.

#43 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:38 PM

I'm for OMB it's ran Nation wide I just see the driving problems we have with what we run now and having people that can spend loose money for a faster car and run into the wall that much quicker for more money I have 30 box motors 20 regular 10 for HillBilly Box I have 10-12 Retro Pro motors and 3 set up for Pro F Hawk and a Ton of Scale Motors 16D -24Euro 

I guess what I'm trying to say is giving someone more speed doesn't make them a better driver let them learn to swim before you push them off in the deep end of the pool 

Eric I know you wish to race faster stuff and can do all the things needed to do it but only a few of us that race GRP F can and remember that these little motors you want to run must be rebuilt every race more $$ I was there and ran the USRA in Socal when we had 80 entries for our Monthly race wing and 110 Scale not that long ago 1996- 2007 then the speed kings showed up and wing  racing went in the toilet because real Speed Cost Dollars Lots of Dollars and with GRP F it's cheap speed and keeps the raceways doors open  Now if we had 6-8 raceways like it was 10-12 years ago I would be pounding the floor let's do this because we could get 4-5 racers from each track to go along and not hurt any for the tracks programs 

Eric no one has ran a Wire Chassis and been Competitive since 97  and All the Classes you think are dead only in Calif in the East and South and Mid west they all play on every week because they have an abundance of tracks and raceways and racers here not so much 

But Play on I just hope that you don't have racers making a choice which race they want to play in and you end up have 2 classes that don't have full fields and hurt the raceway 

jason

• Tim Neja and Samiam like this

#44 Eric Claburn

Eric Claburn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:48 PM

That was never an intent as i said before. I cannot beleive how a single idea can get so twisted. I give up on this for now. Ill build my own for fun.

#45 wjtaylor

wjtaylor

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:02 AM

And now to throw a little mud on the water, Roger has a motor he is testing and has run a couple of them 4000 plus laps and they will run 2.6 around our king and cost, probably 16.99. It's a sealed motor and looks like the retro hawk or Hawk 7.

To me, this seems like a real good next step.

I am heading out tomorrow, so you won't get any responses from me till i get back.

• Tim Neja likes this
Bill Taylor
Hi-Speed Products

#46 Roy Lievanos

Roy Lievanos

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

Maybe it's the heading of this thread thats misleading? It probably should have been listed in a new thread as an idea heading or something?
I've read all with very good points, but in no way I see that it intended to change our current "F" class. This class is staying the same for what I feel a long time.
Seems like Eric just had an idea and shared it with all being curious if they might have an interest. Yes, no, or maybe. Nothing in stone. If any interest details could be made at a later time.
Yes, box stock is an option, but looking for something new is basicly fiddling. Isn't this what we do?
Jason, kinda like the Outlaw Race. Me not a Retro racer but being new I was looking forward to parcipatate in support like I had mentioned. I realy appreciated your offer but turned out I was unable to attend due to a family event.
I invested in 27L to go fast but that is out of the question but still look forward racing once a year the Western States.
This "Pro Class" is run back east. I guess a few of us will put together some cars to show others.
Thanks for all who support our Wing series.
  • Tim Neja, Tim Wilkins and Eric Claburn like this

#47 Eric Claburn

Eric Claburn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:37 PM

Thankyou Roy
Bill im interested knowing which motor your talking about that maybe a stepping stone.

#48 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:55 PM

The Phoenix they just came in today at Mid America can't believe I'm saying this but buy a Few and see how they run but buy them though BPR have Debbie order 20 to start and only 1 no more cookies or chips for you till we figure them out 

Eric Forrest and I talked about this 3-4 months ago and he had no clue of the cost of the little motors (we) I'm just scared of the racers we have leaving because of the cost I have all of the stuff needed to do what you want to with the little motors and I'm for a 1 time Try it 

jason

• Roy Lievanos likes this

#49 Eric Claburn

Eric Claburn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:31 AM

Glad to see you on board jason.

#50 86ed once again

86ed once again

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

I know Roy that is the problem for alot track calls, but from what I saw at the Western States where there was plenty of turn marshals for FK race. Most people could not drive black, their cars were too on the edge for a novice/beginner racer. I know the guys want to be as fast as Eric, Jason, Bill, Sam or Roy but they need to learn to drive black first. A faster motor will only cause more destruction, especially if they keep looking at the computer screen. The Phoenix motor looks promising as a stepping stone, which I think we need more of. Going from 3.0 to 2.0 (FK to 27Lite) is not a good stepping stone. 

• Tim Neja, Jason Holmes and Roy Lievanos like this
James Grinstead
Five-time USRA Champion
TEAM KOFORD

Electric Dreams Online Shop