2 replies to this topic

#1 dalek

dalek

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:14 AM

Last week I was doing test & tune in preparation for the GT1 Ready to Run class (Cheetah 21, Hawk 7) at P-1 Raceway. I had a fast motor but the brakes were weak.  

This particular car was geared slightly more agressively (13/38, .770" tires, rollout 3.80) than I usually gear them. I typically shoot for a rollout of about 4.0 with a Hawk 7.

I decided to make a big change in the gearing in the hopes of getting decent brakes even though I would likely lose some top-end speed.

I changed the pinion from 13t to 11t – resulting in a rollout of 4.49.  It was a win-win result – not only did the car now have good brakes, but it was still just as fast down the straights. It was fast enough to run 250 laps in the race – only one lap shy of the track record of 251 for the GT1 class. It would have tied the record but I came off once during the race.

Last night I checked all of the motors (about 60) in my junk-motors box and found four H7s and four HRs that have lots of brush left but I had labeled them "weak brakes." I'm hoping they will turn out good like the motor above did.

I hope this discovery helps some of you other racers.

• Cheater, DOCinCocoa and Roy Lievanos like this

#2 TG Racing

TG Racing

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:22 AM

Good advice. In Retro, It's a matter of crown gear (RH motors) and what the motor "likes."

Thom Greene

#3 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:42 PM

Gear choice is always a compromise/choice between top speed, brakes and punch. The FK motors work a little different than other slot car motors as far as gearing is concerned. :)

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop