12 replies to this topic

#1 dalek

dalek

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:04 PM

I'm looking for any variations of ghost drivers charts that anyone would care to share.

The picture below is of the one that is used at The Raceway.biz in Melbourne, FL.

I assume other raceways have different forms of a ghost drivers chart, and hopefully, there are some that cover more than just the two scenarios in the picture.

I personally would prefer not to start a real driver in white or green because in white, you only drive one heat then sit out, and in green, you drive all but one heat then sit out.

Any help will be appreciated.

Ghost drivers chart from TRBiz-1 copy.jpg

• B.C. likes this
Dale King

Home Raceway

#2 dalek

dalek

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

Since nobody has posted ghost driver charts, I've been creating some.  

I didn't fill in all of the cells in the charts (like was done on the chart in post #1) because it doesn't seem to be helpful.  

I think the only thing a race director needs to know is how many ghosts are needed and where to put them in the first heat.  Everything else takes care of itself.

At first glance it might not make much sense to create a chart that results in only one turn marshal, but if your raceway needs 4 marshals, and you have 3 volunteers, then the "1 Marshal" chart would be the one to use in order to get that 4th turn marshal needed.

I'll continue to post more of the charts as I get them done.

If you want to print the charts, you can download and print the PDF file so all three of the charts will print on one page.

Attached File  Ghost Drivers - 8 lane track - 8 drivers.pdf   191.88KB   19 downloads
Ghost Drivers - 8 Lanes, 8 Drivers, 1 Marshal - Copy.jpg
Ghost Drivers - 8 Lanes, 8 Drivers, 2 Marshals - Copy.jpg
Ghost Drivers - 8 Lanes, 8 Drivers, 3 Marshals - Copy.jpg

Dale King

Home Raceway

#3 B.C.

B.C.

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

thanks for doing this--have tried to get several raceways to do this for us with no results.

• Wizard Of Iz likes this
Brian C. Bays

#4 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:57 PM

Buddy Houser and I created the table that Bill uses about 12 years ago at Buddy’s Slot Car Speedway in Jacksonville.

Buddy liked to run one race of 10 instead of two races of 5 but we rarely had any volunteers so we needed a way to insure we’d have marshals every heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • dalek likes this

Rollin Isbell

#5 dalek

dalek

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 09:27 AM

It turns out that setting up a race with ghost drivers (in order to force human drivers to sit out so they can marshal) is not all that difficult.  There seems to be two tricks to it (see the image).

Slotblog-01_1 copy.jpg

• NSwanberg likes this
Dale King

Home Raceway

#6 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,216 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

I think it's great you're trying to come up with charts.

I run into the issue all the time but there are so many possible scenarios, I haven't tried to make a chart.

I have a few common ones scribbled on a note pad.

Your above "tricks" are a given.

The most important trick is to have the ghosts coordinate.

IOW, on the above chart, if ghost #2 is the 3rd sitout, ghost #4 should start on Yellow, not Black, so it goes out when #2 goes in.

With even #'s, both heats and drivers, probably makes it easier.

With the above scenario, the below is how I would space the ghosts.

Every heat would have 5 or 6 real drivers.

But to tell the truth, running a 14 heat round robin isn't going to save you much time from just running 2-8 heat races.

20180427_110205-1.jpg
  • B.C. likes this

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#7 dalek

dalek

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:08 AM

I agree with Mike -- there are several scenarios as to where the ghosts could be placed.

However, when in doubt, if you set up a race with the ghosts spaced as evenly as possible, you are absolutely, 100 percent guaranteed that you will have a variation of no more than 1 real driver sitting out each heat.  

That's not an opinion -- it's a provable fact.

The approach is clear when you consider a race where there are 12 heats and 3 ghosts.  The ghosts MUST be spaced evenly.  When spaced evenly there will be 3 real drivers sitting out every heat.

Dale King

Home Raceway

#8 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,216 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

Of course they have to be spread out evenly as possible.

With your last scenario, I assume it will work out perfect.

My point was with 14 heats, it can't be broken up evenly, so how I tweaked the order, the race had the same amount of ghosts for the first nine heats.

PS - IMO, a curricular chart would be easier to visualize.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#9 dalek

dalek

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

A circular chart, that Mike referred to, makes sense because the list wraps around. 
IOW, the driver at the bottom of the list (in White) is next to the driver at the top of the list (SitOut #6). 
The image below shows a work-around, making checking each heat, for the correct number of ghosts and real drivers, fairly simple.

By using the method in the image below, you can verify that every heat will have either 1 or 2 ghosts sitting out (which means 4 or 5 real drivers sitting out).
HOW TO CHECK EACH HEAT_1.jpg

Dale King

Home Raceway

#10 dalek

dalek

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:02 AM

Checking each heat -- done by hand.

moto_0315 - Copy copy.jpg

Dale King

Home Raceway

#11 Shiggy

Shiggy

Green Hornet race director

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:48 PM

We use this starting lineup for 5-7 racers. Always gives us 2 marshals. Human racers move on and off the track every other stint.
Carsten from LapMaster gave us the setup.

With 8 or more racers we prefer to run A & B mains, usually with the B winner advancing to the A.

( just noticed I switched purple and black lanes in the euro rotation. The racer remains in black and ghost in purple)

Attached Images

• IMG_4273.PNG

D. "shiggy" Person

#12 dalek

dalek

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

Regarding where ghosts are placed, different raceways will have different preferences so rather than making up charts, I put together a worksheet to use to configure the placement of ghosts.

Print it (it will probably print better from the PDF file rather than the image) then 

place small items on it (like bronze guide washers or pinion gears) to represent the ghosts.

Slide the ghosts around until they are spaced as evenly as possible (the empty spaces between the ghosts will represent the real drivers).

Attached File  Configure the placement of ghost drivers.pdf   106.58KB   17 downloads

Configure the placement of ghost drivers_1.jpg

• MSwiss likes this
Dale King

Home Raceway

#13 dalek

dalek

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

We use this starting lineup for 5-7 racers. Always gives us 2 marshals. Human racers move on and off the track every other stint.
Carsten from LapMaster gave us the setup.

The chart that Carsten gave to Shiggy's raceway is equal to the image below.  There are 7 ghosts and 7 drivers which results in 14 heats.  You'll get 3 real drivers sitting out each heat as long as the ghosts are spaced equally (one real driver between every 2 ghosts).

As you look at the image, you can see that you do have one optional way to place the ghosts and real drivers -- you can shift all of them by one cell if that meets some preference that you might have regarding where you want or don't want to start a real driver.  
Casper-King -- examples-02 (07 drivers) - Slotblog-01_a1_SB.jpg

• NSwanberg likes this
Dale King

Home Raceway

Electric Dreams Online Shop