• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

Raytown International Raceway in Raytown, MO, will be starting to host IRRA® Can-Am racing in the near future!

The track is an Ogilvie King. 

Raytown International Raceway

We also race winged flexis, a Hawk 7 GTP class, and a Hawk 6 wing car class. They also have an active drag racing program.

Further details coming soon!

• Cheater, Pappy, MSwiss and 6 others like this

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#2 Mark Crowley

Mark Crowley

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:02 PM

I want to thank Richard for working with the owners of RIR to initiate IRRA® Can-Am Racing. It will be nice to have a well defined set of rules to follow.

Mark

PS:  Hope I can find my Cox controller.

• Samiam and Richard G With like this

#3 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:33 PM

For those not on Fakebook, here is the Slotblog listing:

Raytown International Raceway

Good luck.

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#4 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:02 PM

Mark, you may be overdoing the Retro thing!

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#5 Brinkley47

Brinkley47

A winner is a loser who gave it one more try

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:11 AM

For those not on Fakebook, here is the Slotblog listing:

Those people would certainly be the minority. Two billion active users daily.

Will Brinkley
willbrinkley@gmail.com

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,123 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

Will,

What percentage of those two billion people on Facebook do you think have an interest in slot racing?

IMO it is a very small number, whereas here...
  • Half Fast likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#7 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:47 PM

In the case of Raytown, their current activity appears on their Facebook page. The directory entry for Raytown is quite out of date.

So I'm taking it as part of my Retro cheerleading role at Raytown to post here about what
I'm involved in.

There is slot racing in KS, MO, AR, TX and CO that is covered by individual track Facebook pages that doesn't get coverage here.

I believe in getting as much exposure as possible.

#8 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:14 PM

For those intending to participate in Retro at Raytown, please be aware that the IRRA® rules have not yet been updated to reflect the current approved motor selections. I left a few marked up hard copies at the counter last Saturday.

In practical terms at Raytown this means the current flavors of Retro Hawk will be our motor. That is what the shop will initially stock. If someone wants to try a Professor Motor motor I expect Terry would order it if it's available at the distributor.

I have been bugging the IRRA® board to get the published rules updated. That should happen soon.

In any case, I urge everyone to buy your stuff from the track if at all possible. Terry is taking some risk in stocking parts to get our new class going. He can't always know what we need if we don't ask. Remember, we need a local track to play with our toys!

I'm retired at the moment, so If anyone needs help, advice, or wants to offer constructive criticism in the meantime feel free to PM me through Slotblog or Facebook Messenger.

• MSwiss and Mark Crowley like this

#9 Mark Crowley

Mark Crowley

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:28 PM

In any case, I urge everyone to buy your stuff from the track if at all possible. Terry is taking some risk in stocking parts to get our new class going. He can't always know what we need if we don't ask. Remember, we need a local track to play with our toys!

Simple yet important fact.  Amen.Richard

Also want to thank Alan for offering to build up Can-Am brass chassis for the owner to sell.  I put in my order for one.

Mark

#10 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:46 PM

Raytown is officially planning a Retro test/tune demonstration day May 19.2018!

Anyone who is interested in the Retro CanAm startup at Raytown is welcome and encouraged

to attend.

Hopefully, there will be parts in by then and there ought to be some built chassis available.

I plan to have a few loaner cars and controllers so even if you don't have cars or are still just curious

there will be something for you!

My preliminary tuning indicates the initial setup benchmark is .035 braid depth and 9/28 gearing.

We will be sure to have the spray glue a little heavier than it was at the GTP race.

Builders should be aware that some brackets may need to have some grinding done to accept the 9 tooth angled pinions.

Remember that the Retro motor is the Retro Hawk (7R preferred). That is NOT the Hawk 7 we race in GTP although the appearance is similar. If that's all you have, it will be OK but you should not draw definite

conclusions by playing with that motor.

Alan and I will be available to conduct a tech inspection for anyone who wants to participate. That's not really required but hopefully we can help everybody get up to speed quickly.

Come on out and get acquainted with this new class as we all learn together!

• old & gray, Samiam and glueside like this

#11 woodman

woodman

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:11 PM

I have been searching with little luck, to see pictures of the stock car class.....Bodies mounted, front and side views to get an idea of the differences.....Be nice to see which are most poplar....

Steve Crawford

Tracks
Kayak builds

#12 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

Steve:Check the Modelville Hobbies (MVH) race reports. They do a good job of documenting their races and often race the

Stock Car class. There hasn't been interest shown at Raytown yet in the Stock Car class but I do have one built.

At this time we are planning to start with CanAm only, although there are probably enough F1 cars to have a race. If you don't have a CanAm built, there should be plenty of loaner cars available.

The scheduling is driving our choice of classes right now. Unless we could get a Retro only Saturday, we are probably going to

have to run  CanAm with the GTP cars. The owners don't want to have road racing going on at the same time as drag racing so that limits how many races we can do in one day.

However, we got this started by grassroots activity so if the local racers want to expand you all should talk with Terry and Teresa.

I'm just the "Outside Agitator". I think we should get at least the initial CanAm race accomplished before we try to try to expand, though.

I will post a few pictures of my Stock Car as an example. VFC Charger seems to be the most popular. Some Torinos and Cyclones appear but are regarded as more top-heavy. Keep in mind that the dimensions are very different from CanAm. 3" max chassis width, 3/4"  max guide lead, 4-1/2" min wheelbase. And the chassis clearance is 050 front and rear with 820 diameter front and rear tires.

#13 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

Steve,

Here is an example of the stockcar I run.

20180521_203507.jpg

20180521_202031.jpg
  • Richard G With likes this

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo

Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#14 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

Here's the VFC Charger and chassis pics. Note that this has a ProSlot motor, not the Retro Hawk used for IRRA® racing.

Attached Images

• 20180529_110106.jpg
  • 20180529_105551.jpg
  • 20180529_105656_Burst01.jpg
  • 20180529_105908.jpg

• Tex likes this

#15 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

FWIW: Yes, the motor in the stock car is crooked. I just laid it in the frame as a mockup. It will get swapped for a Retro Hawk in final assembly.

Looking at Dom's pictures, I see that my body could be cut lower. At the door line, right?

#16 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:03 PM

Correct Richard. It's hard to tell in my pic but basically on the drivers side along the bottom door line at the rear is raised up slightly (about 3/32"). The front edge of the door line has about 1/32-1/16" above the cut line. Note that the doors lines are not equal on the VFC. When mounting the VFC the body should be pushed back to the rear so the guide just barely clears. The width of a body pin can make a huge difference in handling moving the body forward or back.

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo

Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#17 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

Thanks, Dom!

I was wavering between IRRA ® and RETRO® rules at the time the pics were taken.

The clear areas around the pin hole locations would have to be made opaque under IRRA® rules.

#18 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

Since we now have the first CanAm race scheduled for July 14, 2018 I'm going to post further info in:

IRRA® style Retro racing begins in Raytown, MO

Cheater: this thread should probably be closed for further discussion.

Electric Dreams Online Shop