#26 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,909 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:44 AM

Mark,

I’m sure you are a good guy and looking out for the raceway, but from where I sit it looks the track owner is in his own little world. Bringing in a traveling series is not going to save any shop but does help out with $$ especially if he has parts to sell and some locals to bump up the entries. Not sure on the flexi series but the trackowner has ever contacted neither Grant nor I about Retro racing or bothered to show up at one of our monthly races to check it out and introduce himself.

We make no money running Retro and I’m not driving over two hours to look at his track and see if he would honor us with the ability to race there.

If I had my own shop, I’d want to get every possible class and series using my tracks.

The guy has never even posted up here. I think he was open a year before anyone out of the area heard of him.

I’m afraid he is a slot racer who wanted a track, not a businessman.

I hope him well and maybe someday we will run there but right now there is no incentive to do so as it would take a race away from our loyal racers who have supported Retro from the beginning.

• Cheater, Half Fast and DOCinCocoa like this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#27 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:38 AM

Mark:

Why don't you talk to your track owner and try to get him to get some Flexi or Retro interest going at your track? If he can get a small local series going he could then approach the FSCS or GRRR and see if they would hold a race there.  

Your track owner really needs to initiate all of these actions.

• tonyp and Danny Zona like this

Jay Guard
Retro Racer &
Flat Track Fanatic

#28 gatormark

gatormark

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:21 AM

I told the guy to close shop. it's a dead hobby anyway made up of old guys reliving their childhood days. Idon't see any youth interest so, like they say, it's just a matter of time and it will be'gone with the wind.' Maybe if a new owner came in, oh well.

There's an old saying, if your not recruiting youth, your days are numbered and I don't see any youth series at any of your tracks except Ed's.

Mark Conner

#29 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:02 AM

I told the guy to close shop. It's a dead hobby anyway made up of old guys reliving their childhood days.

Nice, real nice! :shok:

• DOCinCocoa likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#30 Grant G.

Grant G.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

Define youth. I am 36 and volunteer a lot of time to help keep this hobby alive in this state. 

Tony said you are a good guy looking out for this hobby. Prove him right and learn to listen to all the advice many have given you here.

• tonyp, Half Fast and DOCinCocoa like this

Grant Goerner

#31 gatormark

gatormark

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

Hoping the track could be bought by locals and turned in the right direction; that was my point.

And it is a hobby, mostly old guys reliving their childhood memories. 'Tis what it is. That's why I do it.

And yeah, I'm 59, an old guy.

Mark Conner

#32 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

Mark... good luck.  

I encourage you to do what you can to help your track owner build a program at his track. Yes, it has to be a two-way street and the track owner has to do his part by creating a fun environment and a maintaining a consistent set of rules by which to play with toy cars.

We had a great racing program in Jacksonville because the racers helped Johnny and I build the program, helped us maintain the tracks, helped us host big events by showing up just to turn marshal, and helped us attract Flexi and Retro races by traveling to attend Flexi and Retro races. As track owners, we did our part by maintaining a well-stocked parts wall and reinvesting into the raceway. We damn sure didn't spend the hours at the track because we were getting rich.

If you want Avon Park to be part of any of the statewide Series, the onus falls on the track owner and racers of Avon Park to actively participate in those series. Perhaps you can help your track owner by carpooling with a few of the other Avon Park racers and participating in upcoming FSCS and GRRR races. Even better... bring your track owner to some events.

Look at it this way... why would I (as a former track owner) ever encourage one of our racers to travel to Avon Park to participate in a race and spend money there if I knew that zero racers from Avon Park were ever going to travel to Jacksonville to participate in a race and spend money with me?

• Cheater and DOCinCocoa like this

Rollin Isbell

#33 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:07 AM

Rollin: awesome post.

Mark: I consider Bill Pinch's track in Melbourne as my "home track," mainly because when he was located in Cocoa his track was only 20 minutes away for me. However, I travel the state to the four tracks that are involved in the FSCS and GRRR series. I spend a lot of money at all of the tracks. I don't buy off the internet. I support the tracks because they support me with the correct parts that I need on race day. If the set of tires that I need are not in my box, I can be sure that the track has them in stock.

All of the tracks involved in these two statewide series have local racers who travel the series and those who do not travel outside of their own local track, but some of these non-travelers do support the track when the series come to their home track.

I am 68 years old. I don't know if it is accurate that I am trying to relive the '60s when I was somewhat fast in the NE area of Ohio. I am having fun racing slot cars again and I am trying to give back to the hobby that I feel gave me a lot through the '60s and early '70s.
  • Cheater and Wizard Of Iz like this
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#34 gatormark

gatormark

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:58 AM

So why did the J-Ville track close, Wiz?

And to be truthful, guys, I wont drive 2.5 hours to run on a little track. When we raced at Crown Hobby in Miami there were two King tracks in Broward County. We all couldn't wait to run the big track, bigger is better. We would load up a old school bus and go run the big tracks.

Anyway, have fun with it. Have a great summer.
Mark Conner

#35 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:21 AM

Simple... the new owner of the shopping center wanted to raise the rent 32%. We didn’t see a way to increase cash flow an additional $3K+ per month to cover the increase so we looked for a new (cheaper) location. Options B and C fell through and we received an attractive (unsolicited) offer to buy the business. When that didn’t materialize, we sold the Hillclimb and drag strip to Ed and gave the road course to Joe Liguori.

It certainly wasn't due to lack of support from our racers.  We had a great group of guys right up to the final night of racing in May 2015.  You can probably search and find five years worth of race results somewhere on Slotblog (unless threads that large get archived/deleted for closed raceways.)  I think we still have the most viewed thread on HobbyTalk.  Like I said, we certainly didn't close due to lack of interest.

I miss having a track, but I don’t miss working every weekend.

Don’t hate on Ed’s Hillclimb. At 153’ it’s just two feet shorter than a King and has the same turn sequence as a King.

Rollin Isbell

#36 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

And to be truthful, guys, I wont drive 2.5 hours to run on a little track.

Are Mark's posts some sort of performance art?

"I won't drive 2-1/2 hours to race on a little track, at a real raceway, with an owner that cares, but I hoping other racers will, to come race on a "big track," at a raceway, with little pit space and an owner that doesn't want to promote himself."

It's like Mark is doing an Andy Kaufman style goof on us.

This thread should be closed due to the sadness of it.

• Wizard Of Iz, tonyp, Half Fast and 3 others like this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#37 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,869 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:24 AM

I am going to agree with Mike's take here. This thread has gone on long enough to make its points.

• Wizard Of Iz likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop