• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:39 PM

A series of posts I ran into the other night steered a new racer towards flexi cars as a beginner car. I am not criticizing that advice but Womps are inexpensive and will teach you:

How to tune and drive.
What effect modifications have.
How rules can be interpreted in various ways.
How tech inspectors might not be worthy of the name and how to adjust your car building accordingly.
That it is possible to learn to drive a car that might be a little unforgiving as you approach its limit
That you can answer the Beach Boys question about what will still be fun when you are a man?
That driving for an hour to and from a track with a friend can be fun, not a chore.
That you spent more on gas than you did for the race and that both were worth it.
  • Cheater and Jesse Gonzales like this
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#2 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:53 AM

The problem with Womps is that they are too easily bent. Flexi cars are a much better beginner car IMO. Remember we are talking about an out of the box car and not one that has been modified for strength and handling.

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#3 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:06 AM

Womps should be run on a max of 10 volts. 

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,965 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:04 AM

Sam,

I think 12v would be fine in most cases on the shorter tracks. Obviously 14+ volts is not a great idea with Womps.

What I think you two experienced guys are ignoring is the demonstrated appeal that simple, cheap, usually one-piece chassis have for some people.

Don't forget how well-supported Parma's FCR class was for years until Parma dropped the ball. Steve Adkin's AWRA schedule is getting significant 'traction' at raceways around the country, although the numbers aren't huge at individual events... yet.

But there's no denying the fact that Womp racing does appeal to a non-trivial number of people who play (and sometimes race) in commercial raceways, for multiple reasons. Does it really help the hobby/industry to demean it as somehow beneath the purview of 'serious' slot racers?

One of the negative behaviors of too many trackowners (heck, too many business owners in any segment) is wanting to force their personal preferences on their customers, rather than listening to what their customers want and profiting thereby. Why can't there be room for both Flexis and Womps?
  • Ramcatlarry, Tim Neja, Shiggy and 2 others like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,671 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 04:54 PM

The brass womp chassis are fairly sturdy but having consequences can be a learning experience. Slot racing has evolved tracks that are easier to drive based on the evolution of the king track and the cars have become easier to drive. The unintended consequence of that is that it puts more emphasis on having the best equipment. Spelled$$$. My amateur year I routinely qualified into the A or B consi and drove my way up to the main. West coast Retro has a similar system now and in the past we had a system where every driver had to at least race a semi. The problem with that system was that it was only 4 heats and if you drew the wrong lane set you had a hard road to get to the main. Womps don't have a game reset button and there are no secret cheats that are buried in the code to give you extra lives. Womps teach you that life rewards certain things and punishes others. Maybe we need bumper stickers: MORE WOMPS

FEWER WIMPS

The other advantage of a womp is that is easier to carry on a bicycle in a small box or bag on your bicycle. OOPS, I forgot, kids get driven to the track and picked up by responsible parents, riding many miles to a track by yourself. Horrors beyond imagination! ( Even more fun was riding on a bicycle with a bowling ball in it's bag with the bowling shoes , holding all this riding hands off the handlebars and the cops wouldn't give you a second look.) What would Darwin think about our current child rearing.

• tonyp and Jesse Gonzales like this
Mike Boemker

#6 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,858 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:01 PM

When I got back into 1/24 slot racing, in late '81, we use to race Womps at Mark Mattei's Cycle Smithy. Lots of fun.

IIRC, they were $15 each. The issue now is a roller lists for approx. $42. With a motor, lead wire, and a decent pinion, you're talking around $60. When you can get a nice JK C21 car for $76-$80, a Womp is a tough sell.

Especially, with just checking Eagle and ERI's websites, they are not available.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#7 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,671 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:32 PM

The cost of a Womp vs a Flexi is minimal. The ability to return to your roots with a group of like minded escapees from the senior living facilities; that are likely trying to track me down as I type, PRICELESS!

Got a third place plaque the first of my 70th decade , now I need a 1st and a 2nd for a complete set.

Mike Boemker

#8 gjc2

gjc2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:39 AM

My adult slot car racing career started in the mid-eighties (I was in my mid-thirties) when I discovered a small raceway that had a weekly Womp race. If that store was still open I would be racing Womps today.

I can’t give you any real reason, but I just don’t like angle winders and I just don’t like those stamped steel flexi type of chassis.  

George Cappello

#9 Milkman

Milkman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

Womps are fun.  Some of the most fun racing I've done is with race classes based on womp chassis.  Back when I was still up in Massachusetts I used to race on a small oval where we raced 3 classes that all used womp chassis.  You learned a lot about set up and good driving.  Surprised to hear that womps appear to be unavailable through the major distributors.

Ken Stevens
Speedstar - Go fast, stay on, do laps!!

#10 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

We're all mad here

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

The cost of a Womp vs a Flexi is minimal. The ability to return to your roots with a group of like minded escapees from the senior living facilities; that are likely trying to track me down as I type, PRICELESS!

Got a third place plaque the first of my 70th decade , now I need a 1st and a 2nd for a complete set.

Wow!  You're 700 years old??  :shok:

Sorry Mike, just teasing.  I like Womps too.  They're simple, rugged, fairly easy (and not too terribly expensive) to maintain, require you to develop some tuning and driving skills and can be lots of fun to race if you're not too obsessive about going crazy fast.

And they are easier to carry in a box or bag on your bike.  It's been awhile since I've used my bike to get to my local raceway (about 50 years), and the raceway was much closer.  Nowadays the nearest commercial raceway is more than 100 miles away.  :frown:  Just...Too...Far.

So, there's another advantage to Womps; you can run them on your home track in your basement. :good:

#11 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

The biggest draw I see for womps is that the chassis hasn't changed in a very long time.  But now I see "alternative" chassis being brought out...just the beginning of "chassis wars".

Hate to say it, but Parma really screwed the pooch on these classes that relied on one simple, basic chassis.  

"Whatever..."

Electric Dreams Online Shop