3 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 04:45 PM

One of the tracks in the Phoenix area that was a fun place to race was actually in Scottsdale, with Scottsdale being an affluent Phoenix suburb I was surprised it was open for so long what with rents and cooling bills being so high.

The track name was Miniature Grand Prix of Scottsdale and owned by Wayne Tanner and his family, it was truly a family business as Mrs. Tanner and her boys were behind the counter and provided excellent customer service. Their track was an MGP track that is very well described below by Thomas Hanson. I made the trek out to Tanners by carpool from another track located a few miles from my home, I'd ride my bike there then the track owner would load up a bunch of his racers and take them to Tanners. I was in 7th grade when I made my first away race at another track, I raced one of my RussKit 22's wound with 30awg Simco wire in a modified RussKit brass chassis & russKit cooper body. I won! what a shock. Over the years there would be a lot of racers go trough this track but one in particular went on to make some really good controllers in the Diode era, Henry Vervoorn.

The track flourished while Mr. Tanner was alive, he was a heck of a great guy, one day I heard Wayne had died of a sudden heart attack. The track remained open for a wile after but soon closed. To the Tanner family, your dad was a great man.

I agree with tom, Foster's Freeze is great, too bad we don't have any in Arizona:-(

Clipped from another post on this Blog, written By Thomas Hansen.

The MGP I raced at opened in like summer of '64, maybe even spring. One of its two tracks was kinda similar to the yellow Windsor but with three very distinct differences. The esses were at the far end by the 180, the donut was on the opposite side so it ran like this- left kink-uphill-right 180- across the bridge-downhill left donut-straight-esses, right 180- straight and back to the kink, and the donut was much much much bigger. Oh yeah, and the Slushes next door at Foster Freeze were great!

Prior to MGP I ran in the basement on the modified figure-8 of the Orange Bicycle Shop. :shock:

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

Arizona Recollections By Jesse Gonzales

• MSwiss, airhead, Roy Lievanos and 1 other like this

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:43 PM

Nice post Jesse! :) Keep the history coming.

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

#3 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:59 PM

Next up, Kapp's Raceway.

Jess

#4 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

The only Az slot racer I know is Dave Portz! He was one of those "magician's" with piano wire!! He could bend up and solder a chassis together that worked great quicker than anyone I"ve met until Joe Chevy!! Their two peas in a pod. 

But i knew Dave as a consummate 1/12 scale RC Racer in Tempe!! We battled every week in 1/12 scale in Tempe in the late 80's. A great gentleman--- lot's of fun and a talented builder.  

FWIW

She's real fine, my 409!!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop