10 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:50 AM

For this one, I matched some things that have been kicking around in my assorted "C-can" drawer of stuff. 

I had a Trinity C can, which is basically a Mura Green Can with a different (*and to my mind...super cool) hole pattern.  The can had been soldered in a previous life, which means pitting from acid flux.  It also had been apparently cut from whatever chassis it had been installed in, which (*to add insult to injury) means it also had some grind marks...DAGNABBIT!  With some dogged determination, I got most all of that out and wound up with a clean can AND one whose chassis mounting holes weren't stripped out.

The end bell, a period Mura was a mess too, but also had good "bones".  So I scrubbed everything, flattened the bussbars, cut a new set of spring posts out of 3.5mm thinwall K&S tubing and reassembled it all.  Fortunately, none of the end bell had been melted or otherwise abused, so it has a nice "patina", if obviously not being NOS.

The arm blank here was one of the more rare .005" lam variety, and came with an unused Kirkwood com with the big honkin' "fish hook" tabs.  Being an early type, the com came with fiber stack end insulators that I tossed so I could powder coat the blank.  The arm had been in a small plastic box with a foam insert that had completely deteriorated, leaving a mess of powdered foam and corrosion on both the stack and the com.  I got most all of that off, with only a little discoloration on the com end of the shaft that won't affect anything and can't even be felt, so I didn't do anything further that might reduce the OD of the otherwise very nice shaft.

As much as I dislike winding on these old blanks (*the .005" lams are either exactly or almost exactly the same profile as the Mura .007" lams, with their thick crowns, wide winding legs and bizarre diagonals at the shaft hubs), I have seen so few of the .005" lam stacks in unused form that I saw the value in bringing this one to life.  I did a 20/25, and it meters perfectly at .041 ohms per pole.  It's hard to justify the extra effort in my mind when I could have just pressed a new stack with more modern lams, and used a modern Bugenis com (*the Kirkwood coms aren't even close to "round" before cutting), but these don't come around very often at all, much less so than even NOS Mura blanks.

So an old com/stack, can and end bell get to live and fight another day.  :)

IMG_2722.JPG

• slotbaker, Tex, Chris Stemman and 7 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

...and with a coat of textured black, the look is complete.  Now I just have to set the magnet position so the arm is centered on the can holes and put it all away until it comes back from grind/balance.

IMG_2725.JPG

• Tex, miko, Samiam and 2 others like this
John Havlicek

#3 Kim Lander

Kim Lander

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:59 AM

what magnets are you using John?

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

what magnets are you using John?

Hi Kim,

The magnets that were in the can were shorter than the old "long and strong" ones, and they looked as if they may have been original, or at least well-used as part of the can's history...and were epoxied into the can.  I cleaned all the old epoxy off them and the inside of the can (*no small thing right there!), so I think I'll probably reuse them and give them a fresh zap.  After removing the fiber stack end insulators and one lam that came off with them, I still wound up with around a .45"+ long stack before powder coating, so they would be appropriate for sure.

John Havlicek

#5 Kim Lander

Kim Lander

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:48 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmm....some long red dots would be sweet.

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:17 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmm....some long red dots would be sweet.

I suppose, but kind of useless for a .450"-ish long arm Kim.  The extra weight for no added strength isn't going to do much for the motor.

John Havlicek

#7 Jaeger Team

Jaeger Team

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

I really like this kind of restoration. John you bring me back to the golden age.
  • havlicek likes this
Maurizio Salerno

#8 Geary Carrier

Geary Carrier

all there...???

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:45 PM

Very therapeutic, this motor making madness.

Sweet build John...

• havlicek likes this

Yes, to be sure, this is it...

#9 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

John, could you tell if the lamination's were Thorpe or Champion? both had .005 thick lamination's in the way back era. 20t 25 was a good wind for many tracks in the 1972 era, I saw one armature art Speed & Sport that Jeff Gilbert had wound and thought it was a wee bit empty between the poles so I asked him about it, he was running 15t 25.

Jess Gonzales

• havlicek likes this

#10 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

John, could you tell if the lamination's were Thorpe or Champion? both had .005 thick lamination's in the way back era. 20t 25 was a good wind for many tracks in the 1972 era, I saw one armature art Speed & Sport that Jeff Gilbert had wound and thought it was a wee bit empty between the poles so I asked him about it, he was running 15t 25.

Jess Gonzales

I'm pretty sure they are Champion Jess, because the other ones I've had were Champion and these looked identical...but this is all from memory.

***15/25 sounds more than a "wee bit empty" Jess.  Even on these lams, I could hit that mark on three layers!  Crazy wind!

John Havlicek

#11 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:34 AM

I should also say that, I was never aware that anyone besides Champion had .005" thick laminations until you mentioned this Jess.  Did Thorpe actually have his own .005" lams made up, or did he just use the Champion ones?  Having lams stamped (*and the tooling made for them) is a pretty pricey proposition.  Then too, with such a thin material, you'd have to have a lot more of these made than .014" lams and significantly more than .007" lams to come up with a particular number of finished arm blanks.

John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop