• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#26 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:37 PM

Nope. But then I don't think you've opened the box lid on a modern model kit like those from Ebbro, Tamiya, Rye Field, Takom, Zoukei-Mura, or Eduard either. 

The hobby is about enjoying cars in a scale form, replicating the thrills of the automobile through competition, modelling, and camaraderie. It's an adult hobby for the leisure time of adults who love the automobile. 

I maintain a very successful Juniors program at my shop, and its purpose? Give kids who love competition and the automobile a chance to enjoy themselves too. No more, no less. 

I respect and admire the history of the hobby, but I couldn't give a toss about "how good it was" because I enjoy, promote, SELL, and thrive based on how good it is NOW and I'm here to tell you and any other person tearing up behind their rose-colored glasses that it's pretty damn good today. 

Operator - Haven Raceway in Elyria, OH
Series Director - Ohio Challenge Cup

#27 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

Even the 1st. car I bought for $5.00 I had to assemble,its about participation and must always be and not disclusion.

Ive raced 23 awg  6 mag group 7 cars relatively recently turning around a 2+ second lap that I bought the parts and assembled,woop ti do,thats not a 1/4 of the hobby,and if i were 10 years old without rich parents what would I do.

in the day you buy piano wire and brass and fire up your iron and get to work,and wind some arms send the out to thorp to balance and cut and go to the track and experiment,wow was that fun,spoilnsports,bring back the inclusion for children to develope crytical thinking and hands on and trial and error where they can learn to develope thick skin to handle failure and persist till success.

Justify the progress by fitting in the youth and inept adults to overcome their failures and become accomplished in the hobby and transfer this lesson to our lives,this isnt just aimed at anyone in particular its just a wakeup call for us all who socialize with others an begs for inclusion and participation and comraderie and encouraging eachother to do better and not to give up and healthy competition,and in this hobby to restore more hands on and using our noggens more and not less.

Bruce Schwartz

#28 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,238 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

Bruce, instead of this obsession with the RW sidewinder, why don't you buy an HO track and set it up in a church basement, and expose some kids to slot racing?

Like my old boss, Lorraine Pekarik would say, "More with your paws, less with your jaws".
  • tonyp, Justin A. Porter and NSwanberg like this

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#29 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

Just look at Johns blog and his motor building section,that really cries out to the youth and oldsters,hes so encouraging about his builds that if the children could buy this in magazine form like the past you bet they would be reading and re reading it and if supplies were available,youd see them winding and doing all the things we did in the day,drawing in my school notebook drawings of motors and chassis,good daydreaming.

Even us oldsters,when I first found this site it inspired me to draw that Roy wong chassis,and to buy tons of ebay slot car junk to fiddle with and until the track near me disappeared start slapping together cars and racing.

even built perimeter chassis and combined it with my old jim greenaway 24single champion can motor which had survived 22 years and raced it at zepellin raceway in new jersey.

Bruce Schwartz

#30 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,238 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

We'd love to see your work.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#31 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

Mike this site is only for your jaws,and while im hoping for the availability for a venue to accomplish the club track,voicing ideas and encouraging others to encourage is also a value,dont you think,bouncing ideas off my brotheren.

Ive encouraged multiple family member nieces and nephews and their friends and taken them racing and its been a positive thing for them theyve all been successful in their careers,and if slots was only a small help thank God.

Bruce Schwartz

#32 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:18 PM

Mike and I are track owners, Bruce. I'd wager that when it comes to "encouraging people to race slot cars" we MIGHT just have an idea on how important it is to do so given that it's our bloody livelihoods.

• Jesse Gonzales likes this
Operator - Haven Raceway in Elyria, OH
Series Director - Ohio Challenge Cup

#33 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:18 PM

I d like to see my work too,lol.

all my my amazing stuff  from the day has disappeared,and if anybody has seen my Bob emott car with greenaway 24s champion motor,and my Ed sohl car with my mura 26/27arm,and my chassis i built and arms i wound,theres a reward waiting for you,what im left with are my ebay finds and slotblog builders chassis.

mike just for you i wil try to design and build The Roy Wong chassis,thats inspiration,i have a thought how to design the motor box in that 1inch space,and as well maybe ill setup the track i have 1/24 just to test it.then i will post things here from the drawing stage forward.

• MSwiss likes this
Bruce Schwartz

#34 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:26 PM

justin & mike you guys are amazing to be surviving in this era,maybe the best thing you could do beside the amazing success in slot business is to callaborate on a book sort of an enterpreneurs book on your successes,children these days are all about starting businesses,with shows like shark tank,just imagine how you could encourage young enterprneurs.

maybe children building home HO club tracks at their homes like we did and start a series and bring it to your raceways for the finale,like glen oaks raceway did.

and you guys could sell them the HO sets and cars.

Bruce Schwartz

#35 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

then they could transition to 1/24 and race there

Bruce Schwartz

#36 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

John sorry to go so far off topic,but you inspire with your articles and bring back all the good reminiscense.

• havlicek likes this
Bruce Schwartz

#37 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,301 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

John sorry to go so far off topic,but you inspire with your articles and bring back all the good reminiscense.

Not at all Bruce.  You went to bat for me once, and I remember those things far longer than anything else.  :)

• MSwiss likes this
John Havlicek

#38 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:43 PM

hey because of you guys i just reminiseced on facebook with my famous stand up comedian nephew about the times we used to go racing at islip long island raceway,thanks guys that was rewarding,hes successful,bybthe way hes and astro physicist and stand up comedian,some combo huh.

Bruce Schwartz

#39 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

Having just read thru this thread one thing jumps out at me.   All this philosophizing about slot cars leaves out one main fact.   We are men playing with toy cars and having fun.   That is still the  majority of slot car guys, not all, but probabl;y the majority.    True, John pushes the limits to see how good a motor he can build, other guys do the same with chassis.   Jairus does it with paint.   But most  just have fun playing like we did in the 60's.   

Most of us guys that play are always ready to help anybody, young or older and coming back.    At our track I have a loaner car in the display case for anybody that wants to run a car when our gang gets together, or if somebody just shows up to see what it is all about.    I carry one extra controller that is loaned to anybody that needs one.    The few young guys that come in, we all are ready to help.  We even watch our language! .    I build and repair cars for 5-6 of the guys I race with.    We do all this for fun.   Nobody thinks it is some way to change the world,    

Bruce I have followed your posts for quite awhile and you were setting up a track to give kids some kind of inspiration for learning skills.    You have talked of building cars  back in the old days.  You've talked of having people build chassis for you.  My question is what have you actually done?   Why not just put together some cars and go to a track to play and have fun.   When the opportunity is there to help and encourage new people or kids, be  willing to get them going and  help them to have fun like we do.   Basic grass roots is the best place to start.

I would never criticize Porter or Swiss.   There are few tracks in America that have such great owners and such nice shops;     

• tonyp, Half Fast, havlicek and 1 other like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#40 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:36 AM

Matt I guess I'm frustrated and hope and want our hobby to regain it former popularity and be able to contribute to our society and the youth what it so desperately needs all the wholesome Ness that it gave in the day,because now more than ever it's needed (like boyscouts that's waning)what we got from the hobby if the majority of the youth could get as well these days the impact on society would be great.

I guess there's little left that has such good wholesome mess in like the old days,and that's fundamentally what I'm fighting for to bring back wholesome activities to our society that can build sound minds,and yes us old stern instill this but as time marches on we are fewer and fewer (like ww2 vets)so we mustn't let it die,like boyscouts,little league,and father and uncle activities with their children in their families)so when you hear me opining it's because I fighting to hold onto something worth holding onto that we desperately need,or our youth desperately need (and us lonely forgotten old stern too),it's our comraderie that we have to help us build this hobby back up,and thank God for that and this site for that,just say amen for that.

AMEN !!!!!!!

Slot blog one of the few vestiges left to keep a wholesome institution carrying on for good.
Bruce Schwartz

#41 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:49 AM

Sorry for spell check mistakes,old stern should have been oldsters.

And yes when my mother passed away in 2006 and I was fortune enough to find slot blog it saved me again (slotcars)as it did when my father died when I was 10 years old,when I had the slotcars track to run to when my family was in such termoil,thank God that this healthy addiction saved me from the bad addictions that friends of mine had fallen into like alcohol,and I'm forever greatful,not having a father to protect me,you guys protected me and nurtured me with fatherly figures and encouragement to build my self esteem,for me it was the boys outs and little league all rolled into 1 (which I was involved in when my father was alive.)

So thank you guys for being there at the critical times in my life.

Let's continue to be that for the youngsters and the oldsters.

AMEN
  • havlicek likes this
Bruce Schwartz

#42 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,301 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:07 AM

This "general topic" is one that has been hashed out many many times before right here in SlotBlog.  While it really ought to be in a separate thread (*as well as the epoxy stuff in another separate thread as well), I think that (*as Matt said above, and Swiss said before that) the best ways for people who enjoy slots to "spread the word" is just to "DO" and be helpful.  Enthusiasm really can be contagious.  Track owners have even more incentive (obviously) than racers to try and help grow the hobby, and they have both different tools to do that, and considerations (competition from other tracks, suppliers' demands, race schedules etc.)

The so-called "Golden Age" happened because of a bunch of circumstances that came together...a kind of "perfect storm".  That will never happen again, just as the work of the great winders stood out because...well...it hadn't been done that well before.  "Retro" type racing has proven that doing things (mostly, kinda, sorta) the old hand-built way is still popular, but "the age" it refers to is long gone.  French, Dyna, Rocket, even the entire Mura business have all evaporated.  There are a few motor makers left, and chassis now are CNC  or machine cut assemblies (*as above), and I don't know for sure, but I don't think the best scratchbuilt chassis could run with the modern machine cut ones.

The old days are gone,  but there are ways for people to race $500 2-tire cars, and there are ways for people to race under $100...sometimes way under $100 cars.  I like the old stuff and I like the new stuff, and appreciate the skill, work and technology (*as different as it is in each segment of the hobby) that goes into all of them.  I DO have a special fondness for a "Starship" or other scratchbuilt with a tire-shredding #24 wire arm in a Mura C can, but I'm funny that way. :)

John Havlicek

#43 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:27 AM

And Matt my hopes and prayers for me to become actively involved and to start a project reaching out to the community I'm in with a slot car track and mentoring/apprenticeship coordinated with the youth and their families is part of my spiritual mission,and God willing it will come to pass,I'm pushing for each day along with many arms of the project and the beauracracies,hopefully it will start soon,but it's my life's work so I will always be pushing towards what I can do and encouraging my comrades as well,everybody keep on leading by example,and God bless.
Bruce Schwartz

#44 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

Bruce,   I think what I am trying to  get across is that all the talking on a forum doesn't really help achieve any of your goals.   The best way to be an ambassador for slot racing is to take a box of cars and go to the nearest track.   Get out and do it.   Around here you are just preaching to the choir, you aren't reaching any kids or potential racers.

As has been said, the 60's are gone.  I weigh more, have less hair, have a car with air conditioning, the old days are gone!   They won't be back.   We just have to make the best of what we have today.   You can't  create 1965 again.   

If you even just setup a 4 lane Carrera track in your garage, basement,or on Saturday  in your backyard, you will have a start at publicizing the slot car   hobby.  Sharing with neighbors and friends will do more than all the philosophizing  on a slot car forum of old guys.   Take the plunge and buy a home track to get started with your goals.    We have two young guys that show up to race with us on our wildcat nites and I enjoy helping them and teaching them simple slat car mechanics.   Maybe you will get one or two kids like this and start spreading the hobby among local kids.

Just do it!

• tonyp likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#45 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

Matt read my last post I and we are on this blog to share my thoughts and opinions,and sometimes I inspire and sometimes I voice my frustrations as everybody does.

My goal is to build a track and reach out to my community to participate to advance the positive life lesson that a great hobby like slot cars has to offer building character while have the fun and healthy competition in a wholesome endeavour.

I hope to start building and to post the progress here,but the whole mission I have is a lifelong mission and there are many obstacles beauracratic in nature so slowly slowly it goes,just tell me how slowly things happen when the track owners first propose to build a track and when the first customer walks in the shop,months if not years pass.

So yes I will continue to throw my ideas into the pool of ideas,hoping they may be beneficial to the end product we are all trying to accomplish in rebuilding our noble hobby. (If nobody were to suggest D3 it wouldn't exist.

The only bad question/suggestion is the one the isn't asked/given.
Bruce Schwartz

#46 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

Now let's return this blog to rightful owner John Havlicek,thanks John for loaning us your forum (this is not the outer limits,but we return the control to you of your TV set.
  • NSwanberg likes this
Bruce Schwartz

#47 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,301 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:30 AM

So, here again I wound a 27/26 on the shortened stack...but I upped the timing advance to just under 30 degrees (*approx 27-28) CCW.  This will be a very fast motor, and it should be noted that the stock "hole" is only around .010" over the arm diameter, making for a surprisingly tight setup.  Considering how nice and strong the stock ceramics are, there's a whole lotta potential in the FC280.

IMG_2743.JPG

The only mods I did on the end bell were to add 3.5mm brass tube over the stock too-skinny metal spring posts, and to remove the extra plastic over the end of the end bell bushing as it serves no purpose I could figure, makes the motor a little longer and makes oiling the bushing more difficult.

IMG_2742.JPG

The end result is a motor that's shorter (front to back) than a 16D and only a bit taller top-to-bottom (*although not as tall as a 26D).  Easily a good size for anything from a dragster to a thingie to even a lead sled anglewinder.  The force is strong with this one!  :D

• munter, boxerdog, olescratch and 2 others like this
John Havlicek

#48 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

John thats a double wind 26/27,its hard to believe way to neat it looks like 24S,if so double wow,and nice epoxy penetration,and no apparent air bubbles how do you accomplish this without use of a vacuum?

In the day Ive always heard scuttlebut about winding for the specifics of the track etc.etc.could never comprihend this,but then I was 10or11years old,what if anything have you heard and can you figure out about this.I know of course gearing is adjusted for this purpose as well as chassis engineering and lead placement and glue and body air dams,but arm design was the most perplexing(torque,advance,cw/ccw,track amperage/voltage,phew too much)whoever could shed the light,please chime in?

finally understanding all these parts of the formula would really help me to build(including winding correctly,not to mention magnets effect,breaking ,torque,etc.fill me in im in the dark,someone here in the past started explaining this and even with my advanced degrees i got lost almost immediatly.

hope John Im not going to far off into a tangent.Thanks.

Bruce Schwartz

#49 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:28 AM

And why single magnets vs 32 segment magnets and ceramic vs rare earth magnets and what air gap etc etc.

Bruce Schwartz

#50 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,301 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:05 PM

Hi Bruce,

John thats a double wind 26/27,its hard to believe way to neat it looks like 24S

No...it's 27 turns of #26 wire.  A 26/27 double would be a "suicide wind", although I've done some doubles and triples even that were probably in that neighborhood.

and nice epoxy penetration,and no apparent air bubbles how do you accomplish this without use of a vacuum?

You get used to a material and adjust how you use it is all that's involved.  The whole "vacuum" thing is completely unnecessary for getting full penetration and no air bubbles.  I think the people that use vacuum-impregnation do so because it can help if you're in a more production" environment, but you'd have to ask them.  The idea that this is how it *must* be done is urban legend and simply gets repeated by those who've not tried for themselves.  Back when I started winding again, I cut open several armatures to be sure, and never had an issue getting the coils fully saturated right down to the stack.

• Jesse Gonzales likes this
John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop