Photo

Scratchbuilding a chassis for a particular track?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

Winding an armature,correct advance,wire sellection,motor size,magnet sellection ceramic vs rare earth,2 magnet vs 32 segment(amperage/voltage conciderations),chassis design(whether emott era or current group7),lead placement,gearing,air dams,glue,etc.etc.

when i first started to deal with this being 10 or 11 years not much was understood,and when someone here started getting into the gearing formula i was completely lost,but im hoping theres a synopsis that i can gain enough understanding that i can actually have a clue as to why im building the way im building and its not just random,and then pass that info on once ive got some students,God willing.

please help,from clueless.

Bruce Schwartz

#2 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

For coupe and can am a 4" wheel base is pretty standard. On higher speed tracks 3-15/16" is what I prefer. Guide leads vary among builders and everyone has their own thoughts. I prefer 15/16" while others like 1" or 7/8". I find the 15/16" is a good balance.

For F1 15/16" or 1" guide lead is common. For wheel base 4" to 4-1/16" depending on the track and what the driver feels comfortable with. 4-1/16" is pretty much the go to. If the track is really stuck or high speed 4" can be faster.

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo

Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

Electric Dreams Online Shop