• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:14 PM

Ted Essy of San Jose Slot Car Club with members of other local organizations held a 12-hour endurance race this past weekend on Ted’s Adobe Creek track (built by Brad Bowman). There were five teams of four people. Some of the teams had well known west coast racers (of 1/24 and Fray fame).

Viper Jet cars were provided by Terry Flynn of Harden Creek Cars. These are high performance versions of the Viper Jet cars with many improvements that Terry has been developing. These cars are much faster than the stock cars (I believe 7 ohm arms) and are run at 12 volts. The cars were very reliable and maintained consistent speed and performance throughout the event with minimal down times (for shoe replacements). Here’s Ted’s report:

Well, the fog is slowly lifting from San Jose Speedway after a tremendous day of racing on Saturday. I want to thank all the hearty competitors who made the journey and survived the grueling day of great racing, and fortunately, few surprises which
is always a good thing. The Viper Jets from Harden Creek held up extremely well despite numerous trips into the wall and onto the floor. Thanks again to Terry Flynn for his generous donation of Viper cars and parts to make this event happen. Thanks Terry

I also want to thank Rick Phyllis for
bring a team to the race and especially for his help when the track power accidentally was interrupted, saving the day. I hope to see you and your team again next year.

As far as the actual race, it really was an extremely close competition, especially for the top two spots. When the dust settled, it was Ted's Team IMCA coming out on top by a margin of 9 laps over Ken's team BARG. That equates to about a
55 second victory after 12 hours of racing, a real testament to the competitive drive of all the drivers. Here are the totals:

Ted's Team IMCA                4463 laps
Ken's Team BARG               4454
Dan's Team DanO               4165
Ron's Team East Bay           4146
Rick's Team Ferndale          3694

There were three drivers who were able to get under 6 seconds during the race. Paul Gawronski had a 5.965 on the white lane, Ken Stevens had a torrid 5.941 on the dreaded red lane, and Greg
Kondrek had stellar 5.911 on the tricky yellow lane for fast time of the day. Several drivers had very impressive drives, including but not limited to Greg, George Peters, Mike Nyberg, and my 1/24 teammates Paul Gawronski and Justin Colvin, who was also the Rookie of the Race. Great job to all racers, as the mood was light and laughs abundant.
Race Poster.jpg

Group.jpg

Teams R.jpg

cars.jpg

starting line.jpg

1st place team.jpg
  • Rob Voska, boxerdog and Jesse Gonzales like this

#2 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for sharing this with us all. Those are Enduro smiles for sure.

Jess Gonzales

#3 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:11 PM

Hey, I know a bunch of those guys!!! I'm waaaay jealous, it looks like you guys were having too much fun!!!

Jay Guard
Retro Racer &
Flat Track Fanatic

Electric Dreams Online Shop