2 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:41 PM

Seeing all the various Enduro reports took me back to the 60's again where I ran in several enduro's and still have fond memories of these races. I'n kind of new to blogging and to not tick anyone off I'm going to try and reminisce and try and plant the seeds of enduro racing out there.

G&L Raceway, West Phoenix, Owner Les Hornback

Custom track built by Less looking like no other track ever seen by me before, huge bank, esses lower straight right on the floor. 24 Hour Race with two man teams and only two motors allowed. Race winners were Jerry Finley and Dutch the some of a buddy. Second place Jay Jett and me, very small lap difference after 24 hours. Jerry used two mabuchi canned yellow Cobra 27's while Jay and I each wound 26D's for the race. The rest of the field was so far back I can't  recall who they were but they were so far back it didn't matter. The two lead teams did have to replace motor brushes as they were the old 16D brushes. 24 hours later, we all were glad we did it but vowed not to do it too soon.

8 hour enduro, two man teams, a bought track that maybe was an east coast builder. Joe Sandecki from Kapp's raceway and I won with a pittman 65 armature worked into a 196B frame by me, Joe provided a  beautiful Chapparal body which was protested as I had qualified the car with one of my cut up bodies the week before as I had not yet looked for a partner. The protest was ruled invalid by Less and wee were off to the races. I turned high laps on black with Joe just missing the trophy for his lap production on another lane by five.

Miniature GP of Scottsdale, Owner Wayne Tanner & family

Flat track with huge donut. 4 hour enduro. One man team, have no idea where I finished but had a blast, ran out of my rewinds but did finish.

I probably bored you by now but each of these racers were fun as all get out, racing with guys that I still recall as being friends of my youth. if you have not run an enduro please consider asking the guys you race with to set one up, you won't regret it. You'll be tired and maybe cranky a bit but you'll have some good memories.

To all Enduro racers out there a hearty "Way to Go" and Congratulations for doing it.

Jesse Gonzales, Old AZ Racer

• MattD likes this

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:46 PM

Back in the late 60's I ran in a couple 8 hr. enduros, running Champion 707 36D's. The first one as half of a 2-member team, the second by myself,  with 4 hr in the dark using grain-of-wheat bulbs on the cars. Both were fun. We were second in the two-man, but I don't recall where I finished in the second, I do remember knocking my younger brother out of a chair when he fell asleep while marshaling. :laugh2:  About 2002 or 2003, myself & my friend GTPJoe organized a 4hr. enduro using GTP cars, which the local track raced weekly.Turnout was great, but the trackowner wasn't impressed enough to hold another event. I had our car intentionally destroyed by another racer. Six months later, he got payback while I race directed. :victory:

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback Bill, these days I'm almost afraid to post my recollection or historical stuff but Enduros have such great memories for me I took a shot at it. You reminded me of the grain of wheat lights, I used a battery as you'd lose lights while braking. Les used to spray or mist the track to simulate rainy conditions, it was slime pit city.

anyone else have good recollections of running in an enduro?

Electric Dreams Online Shop