3 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

There's a YouTube channel where students of classical music react to K-pop songs. One of the sub-channels features a professional sound engineer and he analyses the mix, mastering, the sonic production of these songs. In the link below he talks (briefly) about how Auto Tune isn't being used to "fix" vocals but is being used as an effect AND how live vocals are being influenced by the electronic processing that is heard in recordings. As he says, it's a chicken and the egg situation. His little discussion starts at 5:15 and ends at 6:45.... the original link was edited to start at the beginning. If you wish to watch from the beginning he discusses a song (the first one) that's supposed to be a 1960s retro influenced song but ends up sounding 2015 instead of 1965...

• Superbird likes this

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#2 stoo23

stoo23

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:48 PM

Oh !!,.. don't get me Started !!!
Having been a Sound Engineer, (Both Live and Studio) for more than half my life, I have to admit Many of the Current 'Processes' involved with recording and Used by seemingly Endless numbers of "Artist's" ?? these days are to myself, very disturbing.

Having thoroughly enjoyed a wonderful Documentary some time ago about Many of the Exceptionally 'Gifted/Talented' Backing vocalists of "Our" era, who could ALL sing REALLY Well,... Without Any Electronic HELP !!, called "Twenty Feet from Stardom", I was similarly 'Disturbed' by the Current frequent and Over-Use of Vocal tuning.

There was an interesting 'Snippet' from an Older Engineer/Producer, regarding "Tuning Budgets" on Modern recordings,.. see here;

Coming from (and having the pleasure to have Worked with Many Talented artists in the past), I can only concur with His 'Astonished' thoughts !!

Technology CAN be Great sometimes,.. but is Kinda' sad really,.. Eh !!??

Stewart Amos

Old Racer from Sydney, Australia
FASTUFF Race Proven Products

#3 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

All this started when multi-track recording became common. I don't recall protests when that happened. I *do* remember when Dolby became popular there was some protesting that it changed the sound. Then there was CDs... Those did change the sound. I think primarily because it was new and the engineers were still using analog techniques (especially on re-issues).

Another YouTube channel there has a reveiw where the engineer claims that, today, when the sound needs a "retro" feel that it's done all electronically.

So yes, I agree with you... but I also agree with what this guys says about people training themselves to sing as if they're using Tuto tune. I have heard this live, too...

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#4 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:51 PM

If you're sensitive to pitch, auto-tune can be your friend. Maybe you have to be musician to hear it, but Taylor Swift's pitch is like a knife in the ear. Maybe she couldn't hear herself, which will cause you to have pitch problems.

https://www.youtube....h?v=TUzjN38g6sw

Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop