• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:30 PM

We had a great turnout yesterday at Raytown for the Retro orientation event! The track was active most of the afternoon with very well turned out cars and enthusiastic drivers.

We have upwards of 12 interested racers with cars ready for a real race!

We now have a good baseline as to what works on the Raytown Ogilvie King and what needs to be done to prep the track for Retro cars. Looks like the JK kit based cars are on target with 9/28 gearing and JK rubber worked best in the prevailing conditions. We had good parity among the 15 or so motors that were on track so that bodes well for our decision to adopt IRRA® rules. Several of us were running 4.9 second laps when the glue was fresh. Performance fell off later in the afternoon as the glue went away so we'll probably want to concentrate on better track prep for the next time.

Thanks to all who participated and a special thanks to Terry and Teresa for letting us do this event in place of the usual monthly race!

Next up: we will have the usual wing car races next month and at that time will discuss the schedule with the interested racers. On the table is the idea of having a combo of the GTP and a Retro Can-Am race in July.

• Cheater, MSwiss, Noose and 5 others like this

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#2 raisin27

raisin27

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

Good luck with your program. Sounds like you're off to a great start.
  • Cheater, Richard G With and btk like this

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big 3, I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#3 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:42 AM

Best of luck. Retro is awesome.
  • Richard G With likes this
JJ TRADE MARK BANNER copy.jpg

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God since 2007"
" Internationally Know Slot Car Racing Celebrity "
https://www.facebook...nchassisworks/#
Email me

#4 Thom

Thom

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

Richard,

Please post or PM more information. A handful of Nebraska racers may be interested.

Thom
  • tonyp and Richard G With like this
Thom Asay

#5 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

Sorry I didn't get down there; had family event to attend instead. 

When is the first race?

Jeff Strause

Owner, Strause's Performance Racing (SPR)

Burlington Iowa Kiwanis - President Elect

USSCA 2016 4" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 Retro Can-Am Champion

#6 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

Good to see we're stirring up some interest from the North! We also had some visitors from Colorado this weekend.

At this time, we expect to work Retro CanAm into the regular monthly rotation with the first official race likely to be a CanAm race along with the Flexi GTP Hawk7 class on July 14. That should be decided at the June 9 wing car race (Local rules Flexi "Beginner" class and the Hawk6 powered "Group F").

The owners are proceeding slowly with this and don't want to have Saturday road racing going on at the same time as the drag racing which starts at 6PM. Understandable, as they have a very active drag racing program. Alan and I are regulars at the monthly Dallas Slot Cars Retro race the fourth Saturday of every month and we hope to avoid conflict with that schedule when Dallas resumes operation.

So, baby steps right now. It would be awesome to get a dedicated Saturday just for Retro but that's for the future. There are probably enough F1 cars among us to run that class if we could work out the schedule, and Coupes would be a logical expansion as well.

We never expected to get this far with Retro, so anything could happen. I'll try to keep this thread active and hope to get the owners to begin posting on this subject on their Facebook page soon.

• Tex likes this

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#7 woodman

woodman

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:44 PM

I got into this, and really fun, actual scale auto racing (4 tires that touch the track and roll) not winged thingies.....I'm in......be great to get the oval track guys to race these every Saturday..
We race sprint cars, modifieds, and hardbody stockers every Thursday

http://slotblog.net/...ed-sprint-cars/
Steve Crawford

Tracks
Kayak builds

#8 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:30 AM

Every Saturday! Woohoo!

If enough locals would talk to Terry and Teresa, I think anything is possible. I was really encouraged to

see so many local racers come out for the event, so it might be possible.

Local racers should contact Terry/Teresa and indicate your interest. A decision on scheduling the first

race should be made at the June 9th monthly race.

I won't be able to attend due to a funeral but Alan expects to be there representing the Wichita racers.

I think every Saturday might be ambitious at this time and we want to be careful to position Retro as an

addition to the existing programs.But if locals will support it, I believe Terry and Teresa will be agreeable

to anything that generates more traffic.

Watch this space, Post here or PM me if you need anything.

• Tex and tonyp like this

#9 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:12 AM

It's official!

Our first CanAm race will be run July 14th, followed by the usual Flexi GTP class.

We expect to have enough racers to fill the track and plenty of marshalls. Random lane assignments with sit-outs as necessary and three minute heats like we normally do.
  • MSwiss and Eddie Fleming like this

#10 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:34 PM

Please watch this thread for further info on the Raytown Retro program.

If you have questions, send me a message through SlotBlog or post here if you don't need a quick response.

Looking forward to a successful first race on July 14th!

• Tex likes this

#11 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:24 AM

Raytown International Raceway announced yesterday that they are closing at the end of July. The tracks are for sale, I don't have any further information other than they have to be out at the end of the month. See their Facebook page for any further info.

As far as I know, the Retro race is still on for July 14 so our first Retro race will also be our last at that venue.

I will post more definite information after I visit there this Saturday.

#12 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,233 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

Damn, that sucks.

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#13 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

Race is cancelled. Please see my new thread announcing this.

Electric Dreams Online Shop