Photo

Can you reverse the polarity of Arco magnets?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:03 PM

I recently bought a pair of Arco magnets from Mid-America. Both magnets are the same polarity. The back of both mags read south. Can they be fixed in a zapper?

Phil Smith ® ™

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,503 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:17 PM

During the '70s and '80s it was commonplace for us to reverse-zap Champion DZs, blue dots, and white dots because they were all essentially the same materal. I don't know how your Arcos compare to them, but I'd be surprised if they weren't made of something similar. I've never heard Arcos couldn't be zapped.
  • tonyp and Jesse Gonzales like this

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#3 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:12 AM

That means there's an extra north magnet somewhere. Roger may have it and would be willing to swap.

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,301 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:21 AM

I seem to remember that Arcos were the first magnets that could be reliably zapped using regular-type home zappers, but can't remember if I ever tried it. The reason is that I can't remember ever getting Arcos that had lost much, if any charge.

I can look around and see if I have a pair. If I do, I'd be fine with giving them a zap. BTW, even if my zapper doesn't do a good job on them, there may be other bigger/more powerful zappers (the ones with caps the size of coffee cans :) ) that can do them just fine.

I do know that earlier magnets, such as the factory ones in the Mabuchis, don't like zapping at all.  :)

John Havlicek

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,128 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:45 AM

That means there's an extra north magnet somewhere. Roger may have it and would be willing to swap.

Unless they were mispackaged at the factory...

IIRC from what folks have posted, Arcos aren't anything special by modern ceramic magnets standards, so I would think there wouldn't be any problem zapping them into a north-south pair. I used to to make pairs out of same-polarity Pro Slot Megas all the time with my twenty-year old R-Geo zapper.

• havlicek and boxerdog like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,301 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:33 AM

What Greg said. Good modern ceramics are noticeably stronger than Arcos, although Arcos are "pretty good." I've done the same thing, making N/S pairs out of same polarity ceramics many many times with the same R-Geo zapper.
  • boxerdog likes this
John Havlicek

#7 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,203 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:42 AM

Can they be fixed in a zapper?

Yes.  :D

• havlicek likes this

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#8 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,301 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:04 AM

Bingo!
John Havlicek

#9 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:24 PM

The old Simco Magnetizers would charge Arcos of all types, Blue Dots, DZs and White Dots. I used to take mine on away trips to oversaturate my mags before a race.

You don't need a zapper in the conventional sense to charge ceramics, I've been using the highest power Neo mags in a fixture to expose magnets to a strong field which raises the strength considerably. Take your time and build a fixture that secures the magnets so you don't wind up with crushed magnets or fingertips. I have even zapped the neos in Hawks and PS mini motors. of course, this is all for my entertainment as I don't have a track I can race at as I'm not a drag racer.

Try it, use radial arc segments, you can find some really powerful ones for less than $40 each pole.

Jess Gonzales

#10 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

Thanks, gentlemen! I was just making sure.

I contacted Roger and he said to zap them. I explained I do not have a zapper and I'm not sure if anyone locally does. I didn't hear back from him.

John, I have noticed that the vintage Champion motors I have that have Arcos are thumpy as hell. These are motors that haven't been messed with since the '60s, so yes, they do seem to really retain their magmatism well.

I really don't need nor want a zapper just to fix this one pair of magnets. Hopefully Dallas Slot Cars has one and I can get them fixed when they get open again.

Phil Smith ® ™

Electric Dreams Online Shop