9 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:26 PM

The SCRRA has decided NOT to allow weighted guides in its Retro Can Am, F1 and Coupe classes. The Retro Pro class will be free to determine if this is something they wish to allow or not.

The overwhelming majority of SCRRA racers felt that this particular feature, for many reasons, was simply something that was not necessary in SCRRA Retro Racing.  I haven't seen any of these guides show up at the track yet, but if any racer has any they will certainly be allowed for a while in the regular monthly races but will NOT be legal at the Summer Western Classic at the end of July.

This stipulation will be added to the SCRRA rules immediately :   Guide flags must be made entirely of plastic with the exception of a straight metal pin that may be added to reinforce the guide post.  Metal inserts to add weight whether added or installed in manufacturing will not be allowed.  Guide blades can be no longer than 1.100", no wider than .080", and no deeper than (5/16") .312.

• Tex, Tim Neja, JimF and 2 others like this

#2 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:58 PM

Good call Bryan. While not a regular racer for all events, I feel this new guide flag is not warranted. Just another new concept that isn't needed. Just keep it simple is good enough I suppose. Don't need anymore "trick" items for racers to try and figure out.

• Tim Neja and JerseyJohn like this
Tom Eatherly

#3 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

:good:

• Tim Neja likes this

Jay Guard
Retro Racer &
Flat Track Fanatic

#4 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:35 PM

well done . if they need weight is a brass nut

• Tim Neja likes this
JJ TRADE MARK BANNER copy.jpg

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God since 2007"
" Internationally Know Slot Car Racing Celebrity "
https://www.facebook...nchassisworks/#
Email me

#5 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

I'm happy when manufacturer's can sell products into our industry and make a profit.  I understand we NEED them to allow us to have products to play with each other.  However, I'm against having "innovations" add cost to our racing hobby! We already have people struggle with the costs-  and this is a hobby for discretionary spending.  Okay, the economy is booming right now--and there may be a little more $$ to spread around. But we DON'T NEED to go faster to enjoy racing with each other!! That's the part of "retro" that was introduced by the founders--have FUN building little toy cars with inexpensive motors and race each other!! I've watched what unlimited spending has done to wing car racing--it's near NON-existant because the COST is completely ridiculous for a toy car!! Will retro go the same way by allowing unlimited innovation that nearly always costs more?  WHY?? So some little manufacturer can now make $$!! Okay---just kill the little golden goose you have--it's been done before--looks like it's going to be done again.  

Let's go racing and stop trying to push more $$ into our racing programs.

FWIW

• Jay Guard, JimF, Bryan Warmack and 1 other like this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#6 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

Tim, even though I totally agree with your post for me it isn't so much the cost factor of the weighted guides.  They are really just a few bucks more than regular guides and generally do last quite a while.  But for me it's really the issue (as you alluded to) of not taking the Retro cars to such a relatively high level of tech.  The IRRA has banned things such as Phosphor Bronze, waffled wheels and such for just this reason so why now allow something similar in concept as a weighted guide?  I have my thoughts but don't want to ignite a firestorm by sharing them in an open forum.

• JimF, old & gray and Tom Eatherly like this

Jay Guard
Retro Racer &
Flat Track Fanatic

#7 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

So are we going to have to put price limits on components? What's the "right" price for a set of chassis components? Gears? This could go on and on.

I agree that building is the main attraction but complicating the tech process further may not solve this supposed "problem".

I fear this guide thing is about to get whipped into another frenzy like the recent motor controversy. In the end, if the guide is really faster then it or the concept will become mainstream.

But my belief is that this too will pass and the people who want to stir controversy will find another apocalyptic story line.

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#8 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:09 PM

So are we going to have to put price limits on components? What's the "right" price for a set of chassis components? Gears? This could go on and on.

I agree that building is the main attraction but complicating the tech process further may not solve this supposed "problem".

I fear this guide thing is about to get whipped into another frenzy like the recent motor controversy. In the end, if the guide is really faster then it or the concept will become mainstream.

But my belief is that this too will pass and the people who want to stir controversy will find another apocalyptic story line.

Richard,

Please understand that the SCRRA's ban on weighted guides deals only with our "Retro" racing class and has absolutely nothing to do with the other classes at BPR where we feel this innovation is a great idea!

THe SCRRA just felt that this particular and clever idea was simply something that the entire concept of Retro sought to restrict in the first place to keep speeds and costs down and the SCRRA racers were pretty much unanimous in this sentiment.  The IRRA felt different and I don't think any controversy will arise as all organizations will just call 'em as they see 'em in the best interests of their racers!  :)

• Tom Eatherly likes this

#9 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

Richard,

Please understand that the SCRRA's ban on weighted guides deals only with our "Retro" racing class and has absolutely nothing to do with the other classes at BPR where we feel this innovation is a great idea!

THe SCRRA just felt that this particular and clever idea was simply something that the entire concept of Retro sought to restrict in the first place to keep speeds and costs down and the SCRRA racers were pretty much unanimous in this sentiment....  :)

Yep, what Bryan said, I couldn't agree more!  :good:

• Tom Eatherly likes this

Jay Guard
Retro Racer &
Flat Track Fanatic

#10 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:15 PM

but the speed is faster every year, because the chassis are being developed constantly (by the way, the most costly part of the car).

the fast guys are running in the 3.8s and a new lap record set at the last king track race.

weight is speed, we have no weight limit out here in the west, so the trick is to make a light chassis handle.

Hint: to keep cost down, put a weight limit on the cars  :D

I don't mind the chassis development, and I don't mind the chassis cost, but others do.

but not everyone can shell out $100-150 for new chassis every 3 months.

there been a noticeable decline in the racing, maybe because it cost too much to keep up?

Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

Electric Dreams Online Shop