#1 eshorer

eshorer

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:52 PM

Just a bit of musing...

It’s a bit ironic that many think/say that slot car racing is dead or dying. There may not be a track on (seemingly) every corner like in the ‘60s heyday, but I sure have my plate full with some (or all) of these in any given month: 1/24 Retro, Hardbody, and Flexi racing on the King and Flat tracks at Buena Park Raceway, 1/32 racing on 11 different home club tracks in the LA area twice a month, 1/32 magnet racing at Big Lou’s… and those are only the ones I participate in; there’s lots more.

This past weekend a couple of guys traveled to Tacoma to race a new class from Europe: ScaleAuto Klasse 1 Hardbody F1, next week is the RetroPalooza, where racers will be attending from SoCal and Japan, and I’m traveling to race with the UKRRA group in Northern England.

In the ‘60s I was racing for all of my teen years. Here it is 2018 and I’ve been racing for twice as long as that this time around! It’s sure feeling like the Golden Age v.2, to me. Of course, it’s a different situation in rural areas, with smaller populations, but in urban areas I’ve noticed that there are quite a few racers in their 30s, 40s, and 50s (the younger ones are often on the podium), in addition to those of us who were around “back in the day.”

I think it’s going to be around for awhile. 

Eddie

• Cheater, MSwiss, Tex and 12 others like this
Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#2 raisin27

raisin27

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

I hope your right

• NSwanberg likes this
Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big three: I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:21 AM

Amen... I don't see the same age breakdown here, but I do mostly vintage racing, and the drivers are of about the same vintage as the cars! In the little bits of modern racing I see, the guys are younger. 

What's hard is getting pre-teens hooked; it's just not widespread enough for them to get a first contact. 

Don 

#4 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:51 AM

A ray of hope:  My son has twin daughters, now in 5th grade - they are both hooked - started with Scalextric - now on a small commercial track - I sent them my collection of 1/24 Carreras last Christmas.

EM

• Tim Neja and Eddie Fleming like this
Alan Schwartz

#5 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

I'm working on my two-year old grandson already. We bought him a small HO-scale figure-8 track that amuses him.

As for me, however, I have weekly access to a nice home track, but it's a bit more difficult to find commercial operations within a reasonable radius. I have to parrot Raisin's comment: Eddie, I hope you're right.

jb

Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

Electric Dreams Online Shop