#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,016 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

mchof.jpg

Founded in 2009, the Model Car Hall of Fame aspires to be the 'Oscars' of the model car world and has taken the admirable approach that every category of interest in cars and model cars is part of a larger unified community of, well, gearheads. That this concept has non-trivial traction can be illustrated by the 101 'Community Supporters' milestone (in 24 countries representing a community of 4.3 million participants) that the Model Car HOF reached earlier this year. 

"For 10 years, the Model Car Hall of Fame has gathered together enthusiasts from across the scale vehicle world to celebrate all the best in the hobby. You, the enthusiast community, nominates hundreds of your favorite brands, models and collectors each year for 26 different awards like Model Builder of the Year, Collector of the Year, Model of the Year, and Brand of the Year. Our model category alone includes scales all the way from 1/8 to 1/87 and smaller, four scales of Slot Car categories, Model Farm Toys, and Model Trucks.

With the help of our talented selection committee comprised of model car designers, slot car racers and magazine editors sharing hundreds of years of combined experience, we’ve inducted more than 170 notables into the Hall of Fame. Just a few of our inductees include Jay Leno, Carroll Shelby, Dale Earnhardt, Parnelli Jones and brands like BMW."

The full list of the previous inductees to the Model Car HOF can be found HERE. I must admit that many of the names on this list are unknown to me; and while those who are also on the HOF Selection Committee have brief bios explaining the activities behind their selection to the HOF, it would be nice to have the same info available for all inductees. 

For 2018, the MCHOF has added slot car-related categories to its list: Slot Car Racer of the Year, and four Slot Car Model of the Year categories, in 1/24, 132, 1/43, and HO scales. And several slot car notables have agreed to serve on the 2018 HOF Selection Committee: Philippe de Lespinay, Scott Bader, and Alan Smith. (No bios needed for me with those guys...)

It's encouraging to have model cars and slot cars included within the purview of an organization devoted to recognizing the significant accomplishments of the many incredibly talented people involved in the four-wheel world of every scale. 

Nominations are being taken for the various HOF categories right now, though the end of June. Anyone can put forward a nomination in any and all categories HERE.

The Model Car HOF is expanding their announcements for the 2018 winners, devoting an entire week to virtual award ceremonies to bring even more attention to the categories and to better highlight each award, allowing a much wider audience to participate.

From November 6-9, the HOF each day will celebrate winners and inductees from each of its major categories, holding the ceremonies online using Facebook Live, the new HOF YouTube channel and social media.

The four days of awards ceremonies:

• Day 1, Nov 6: Brand of the Year, including Automotive Brand, Model Brand, Novice Model Brand, Model Car Dealer, and Supplier Brand of the year
  • Day 2, Nov 7: Model of the Year, including all scales, Trucks, Farm Equipment, and Slot Cars
  • Day 3, Nov 8: Annual Awards, including Collector of the Year, Racer of the Year, Model Builder of the Year, and Model Car Customizer
  • Day 4, Nov 9: Lifetime Awards, including Automotive Legends, Model Car Historian, Model Car Designer, and Model Car Entrepreneur

While many involved in slot cars and slot car racing will probably think, "Who cares?," such opinions ignore the fact that the inclusion of slot cars and slot racing in the Model Car Hall of Fame is a rare instance where the slot car hobbies have been raised to the same level as 1:1 cars, collecting, customizing, racing, static modeling, etc., an elevation that is long overdue and which has the potential to generate benefits in years to come.

Slotblog is a proud supporter of the Model Car Hall of Fame.

mchof.sup.jpg

• SlowBeas, spudboy and Eddie Fleming like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,016 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

I just nominated a noted model car artist and builder, as well as a fabulous slot car builder, who just happens to be a very valued Slotblog member.

Just a couple of weeks until nominations close...

Please take a few moments to nominate individuals for this award. Only take a few seconds.

2018 MCHOF nomination form

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,275 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:46 PM

In existence since 2009? I've never heard of it before.

Bill Fernald

I heard they weren't going to make yardsticks any longer.

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,016 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:16 PM

Neither had I...

Gregory Wells

#5 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:59 AM

I just nominated a noted model car artist and builder, as well as a fabulous slot car builder....

2018 MCHOF nomination form

Both very deserving of this recognition in my opinion. :clapping:

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

Electric Dreams Online Shop