• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:59 PM

This report will focus on general tuning steps that will apply to about any Can Am car. This car is a clone of my favorite chassis from the last 8-10 months. The previous one had been my choice of car at every race until our last run at FTH in May. At that race, I discovered some damage that I wasn't aware of so I had to run something else. I've since fixed the original and built this clone. This one hasn't run yet but these are the tuning steps that I took on the original which hadn't been on a flat track until last Sat. night. 

Things tested on this car..............

• Chassis weight distribution
  • Tested the same tire selections as on the F-1
  • Motors (TSR Vs. Retro Hawk)
  • Gearing on both.
  • Tested 3 different bodies.

Chassis tuning:

This car was conceived as a speedway car and has usually been run with the two little 1 gr tail weights shown. Weight in that configuration is 104 gr. all up with the center weight out. Add in the center plate and it's 110 all up. Add in the lead on top of the center plate and it's 117 all up. Initial chassis testing with TSR @ 8-29.

• 104 gr. Didn't test it. I knew that'd be too light.
  • 110 gr. With center weight in, this was pretty good. Handled all parts of the track well but was a little tricky in the inside combination turn. This was good enough to know I was working with the right car.
  • 117 gr. Lead on top of the center plate, this was where I stuck for the rest of the testing. This was very good, very smooth and straight coming off the turns.
  • I generally find that weighting to the rear is beneficial so the next step will be add two 2 gr./side in the spots shown. I might also take that 4 gr off the front of the center plate lead.

1-20180607_181428.jpg

Tire testing:

This was pretty easy b/c I figured that all the small hub tires would be good and they were. I started with the JK 8703 PP and really never felt the need to change them. In the interest of science, I did try the Alpha reg. full (just as good as the JK) and the Alpha reg. The non full hub (reg) surprised me as it might have been the best of the bunch. They were however, worn pretty low from F-1 testing and that may have been contributory.

Motors & gearing:

With the advent of the Retro Hawk, we pretty much moved away from the TSR b/c in general, they weren't fast enough on speedway tracks. Flat tracks however, are a different story and the TSR offers a smoother power curve. While the RH with certain gearing choices has the potential to be faster than the TSR, I think this race won't be about speed as much as it will be about staying on and having a car that is not "touchy" when trying to make passes and managing traffic.

• TSR 8-29: This was where I started and really didn't find anything demonstrably better. This has a very smooth turn exit and is very controllable. This didn't seem very fast but the clock said it was.
  • RH 8-29: This was the next test and the car seemed to "leap" out of the corner. Although it felt notably faster, and on selected laps it was, it was harder to do consistent laps at a good time.
  • RH 7-28:This improved the above in terms of making the car more controllable. The car was still very quick off the turn but it was not as snappy as with the 8t. This is probably a good compromise if you don't have any TSRs laying about.

Bodies:

This was another easy test. We have mostly settled in on the Parma Lola T-163 in NorCal and no reason not to. With the short 1/4" spoiler we require, this body is not super high in downforce and Parma's quality is good. There are those who like the TI-22 but there is not much available with TruScale and Outisight being problematic in availability. There is the Red Fox TI-22 but it is so thin and pulled so shallow over the front fenders, that most don't want to run it.

In this test, I tested the Parma Lola, an Outisight Lola, and an "Edge" TI-22. Although the bodies exhibited differences in different parts of the track, the timer read the same when each went across. I think that on flat tracks in particular, the bodies don't really offer much advantage either way. As with the F-1s, I don't see much need to vary from the Parma Lola. However, having said that, the "Edge" TI-22 is just as fast and gives an alternative for those who want something different. The "Edge" is available by phone from BPR and I will consider it legal.

1-20180607_181711.jpg

Edited by JimF, 08 June 2018 - 12:23 PM.
fixed some spelling

• Tom Eatherly, Eddie Fleming and Greg Erskine like this
Jim Fowler

#2 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:18 AM

I think you should run a Phoenix at 10-28 to make it exciting. 

• JimF likes this
David Cummerow

#3 Gary P. Brown

Gary P. Brown

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:42 PM

Jim, Thanks for the tuning tips. Will we still run 0.050" clearance on Can-Am and 0.040" on F1? Or, do those swap with the track?

#4 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:14 PM

Hi Gary:

We keep matters simple. We do not adjust clearance when we switch track styles. So.....F-1 is always .040, Can Am and Stock Cars are always .050. Some guys can't keep track of the clearance and width stuff that hasn't changed for 10 years, changing it monthly might not go so well......... :shok:

I was hoping to get down the hill to FTH today to do some work on the 'Dragon' with my Can Ams and a new stock car but got delayed at home. Hope to make it down there Sunday or next Sat night.

• tonyp likes this
Jim Fowler

Electric Dreams Online Shop